Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #1

Am I doing these calculations correctly?

Just mapping out potential travel plans that would take us from Orlando FL to Anchorage AK in a Class A gas (or possibly diesel; the decision has not yet been made, but let's ignore that part for now and just concentrate on the main question).

My calculations state it's 4,747 miles from Orlando to Anchorage. I'm dividing that by 50 mph to get the (rough) number of hours required. I know this WILL vary, but I'm going to add that in at the end. I am then dividing the resulting hours (95) by 6 if we were to travel 6 hours per day and by 8 if we went at a rapid pace just to get there. I'm coming up with 16 days if we drive 6 hours, and 12 days if we drive 8 hours.

Now, if I add in, say, 14 more days for delays, breaks, etc, I get 26 to 30 days, respectively. This would be the only major push we'd make over the course of 12-18 months, but we're timing it to leave Florida in late May and be up in Alaska by July, staying for two months.

Is that a reasonable time frame? It's one thing to see it on paper, and another thing to actually have experience doing it. Your thoughts?
bigthinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #2

Very interested in this thread....as we will be doing a similar thing in near future...and same questions in regards to gas vs diesel.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #3

Yes your time schedule will work. 2 years ago we entered Alaska July7th and exited August 17. The only thing we missed as we were leaving was Haines, that we wanted to see. Everything else we wanted to see, we saw. When booking your reservation for Denali, inquire about the Teklanika campground, that puts you 15 miles in closer to Denali. B4 departing make sure you have gone through your maintenance on vehicles and everything is in tip top shape and not have to worry about failures on the road. It's a wonderful journey, enjoy!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

I would drop your speed average for the part of your trip that is in the Yukon and Alaska. Other than that i believe you are good. We left Reno, Nv and i wanted to be in Alaska in a week but our friends that were traveling with us did not drive as fast as i do and we made a decision that we were always stopped by 3pm no matter what time we left and it took us 2 weeks to get to Alaska.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthinkers View Post
Just mapping out potential travel plans that would take us from Orlando FL to Anchorage AK in a Class A gas (or possibly diesel; the decision has not yet been made, but let's ignore that part for now and just concentrate on the main question).

My calculations state it's 4,747 miles from Orlando to Anchorage. I'm dividing that by 50 mph to get the (rough) number of hours required. I know this WILL vary, but I'm going to add that in at the end. I am then dividing the resulting hours (95) by 6 if we were to travel 6 hours per day and by 8 if we went at a rapid pace just to get there. I'm coming up with 16 days if we drive 6 hours, and 12 days if we drive 8 hours.

Now, if I add in, say, 14 more days for delays, breaks, etc, I get 26 to 30 days, respectively. This would be the only major push we'd make over the course of 12-18 months, but we're timing it to leave Florida in late May and be up in Alaska by July, staying for two months.

Is that a reasonable time frame? It's one thing to see it on paper, and another thing to actually have experience doing it. Your thoughts?
My take -- it will likely be a longer in mileage and in hours than you are figuring. Betting on 5,000 miles with 2,500 at 50 = 50 hours - and 2,500 at 40 = 63

50 + 63 = 113 / 6 = 19 days /8 = 15 days IMHO just double the days for the sake of Argument = 38 or 30 just for the drive UP - you do Know there is a lot to see.

Best of Luck,

may help,

https://www.alaska.org/assets/conten...-in-Alaska.pdf

https://snowmads.blog/drive-rv-to-alaska-road-trip/

https://www.rvadventuretreks.com/ala...SAAEgKdbfD_BwE

https://adventurecaravans.com/tour/t...ska-adventure/

on and on.............
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies so far! They're helpful in figuring out if I'm on track.

bizzerbiz, Denali is definitely on our radar. We've been to Alaska twice, and we've helicoptered around Mt Denali, but haven't seen it from the ground. Thank you for your suggestion. We hope to spend a couple of weeks in that area.

Busskipper, have you done a similar trip? I agree our speed will vary quite a bit. Even if it takes 34 days, that's still pretty good. We do know there is a lot to see on the way; in fact, we're banking on it! But we're going to make a bee line to AK, then spend the next year or two poodling around the lower 48.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #7

Couple comments.... you didn't state how you will cross the border. Unless there's something you really want to see in the Plains of Canada, it's best to stay in the U.S. as long as possible because fuel will be a lot cheaper. There's lots to see in the U.S. even before crossing. Western Montana or Washington are good crossings.

Go up on the Alaskan Hwy and return on the Cassier.

On the gravel sections and frost heave sections it's wise to drive slow. We've done 20-30 mph at times.

If I'm reading your comments correctly you state you plan to leave Florida the end of May; get to Alaska by July; then stay two months (Sept). Then you'll take the next year or two touring the country.

It seems you have unlimited time so why don't you leave Florida earlier than the end of May? Then you don't have to push yourself. Most people cross the Canadian border the 3rd or 4th week of May.

If you're needing all these statistics is it for making reservations? The only two reservations we made for the whole summer in Alaska were for the July 4 weekend and 5 nights in Denali's farthest campground you can drive, Teklanika. For those we only made then around 3 weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be in the areas. If you pull into campgrounds early afternoon you'll get a site. We boondocked or used public campgrounds and had no problems getting sites. I sure wouldn't do a summer of reservations for that trip. You may not like a place you booked or you may wish you could stay in the area longer. You may run into road issues - there usually are; or even weather & fires.

If you have the time as it seems you do, make this into a leisurely trip. Canada and the Yukon are prettier in places than even Alaska! Explore them all.

For more answers for your trip there's an Alaska section on this forum. Check it out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

Good advise from twogypsies.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #9

I'd leave before the love bugs come out.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #10

We have a commitment that keeps us in Florida until mid to late May, so that time frame is non-negotiable. We'd leave tomorrow if we could.

I've been researching destinations, etc, for the past 2 years, and have pulled a huge amount of terrific advice off of forums/blogs/youtube (some of it has been from you, twogypsies ), it's more the time frame for that initial push I'm trying to pin down. I've looked at several routes, all of which are roughly 5K or fewer miles, so it's really a matter of knowing whether or not getting there within a month (or just a few days more) is reasonable, with a few breaks and accounting for some delays. We don't want to go straight through with no rest days, but equally, getting there is a priority. After that, it's relaxed touring all the way.

We aren't likely to make many reservations, other than for places like Denali and Yellowstone (we've been twice, but want a lot more time there), that book up quickly. We're hoping to have a good solar set-up, so finding places to overnight along the way will be a bit more flexible.