Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anaheim Ca to Tulsa Ok in February???

Has anyone out there done this on I-40 or another route? I will be driving a 31 ft class A towing a toad. Have driven it several times June thru October in a pickup with a flatbed trailer but never in a RV in winter. Any advise or experiences would be appreciated. Or should I just fly?
RBC2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

I think you'd have better luck taking I-10 to I-20 to Dallas and then north to Tulsa. Hopefully you could build in some extra travel days .... just in case you'd have to wait for weather to clear.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #3

The area around Flagstaff AZ would be the spot to most likely have snow. The rest of I-40 can also but is not as likely to be a problem.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If it snows anywhere in the USA, it will be around Flagstaff. Other than that, I'd do the 40 route
Old 11-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Depends on the weather. Last time I drove Los Angeles to Springfield, MO I took I-10 to Phoenix where I had friends, then I-17 North to I-40, East into Okla and picked up I-44.... and it was in August. This time of year I'd not make firm driving plans more than 24-36 hours out for the AZ/NM part of that route.

The I-10/I-20 route has its charms in winter.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #6

We did this drive this past February from San Diego. We took the southern route, the 8 to the 10, and then up west Texas to the 40. The weather was okay until we got to Oklahoma. That's when it got cold, foggy, ice rain. The roads were clear however. Be prepared for the toll roads. Oh, we were pulling a 35' 5'er. The best part was it was easy to find vacancies at the campgrounds, except for west Texas (oil boom), and Arizona (Snowbirds)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

It just snowed in Colorado. Weather is unpredictable. Plan the trip and take your chances. Plan for weather delays. No big deal.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
It just snowed in Colorado. Weather is unpredictable. Plan the trip and take your chances. Plan for weather delays. No big deal.
That's why I stayed south. Our trip ended in Illinois. We were the only camper in a 450 spot campground.Click image for larger version

Name:	lonely.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	265807
Old 11-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #9

We drive from Orange County to Tulsa at least once per year. Either for Hunting/Thanksgiving holidays or Christmas Holidays. This year we are driving for Christmas. We always take I-40. November weather has always been decent to good with sometimes warmer than average temps. The road trips in December can be much more unpredictable. That being said, if you watch your weather reports for all of I-40 then you should be fine. If you see that any stretch between East of Flagstaff to about OKC then plan on taking I-10 through El Paso up to through Odessa, Abilene, Wichita Falls, Lawton, OKC and on to Tulsa.

If you drive make sure you are prepared for bad weather. Keep your tank and full as possible, carry water and food and warm winter clothing. About 5 years ago driving out to Tulsa were chanced it because we thought we would miss the bad weather and ended up getting stuck literally on I-40 just 3 miles East of the New Mexico/Texas line in the middle of nowhere. It was us and about 500 other vehicles and truck just parked on the interstate probably 25 miles East of San Jon, NM. Temp was 10* out site and we burned through about 1/2 tank of fuel idling on the hwy to keep the heater on to stay warm/comfortable. I was a wild experience and a great lesson on being prepared.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #10

We have went west through Flagstaff the previous two winters in February. One year, the weather was well above freezing. We took the rv up to the Grand Canyon, and on to Page, and Monument Valley. By the time we were ready to return to Flagstaff, they were forecasting a heavy snowfall. We detoured across Utah to Las Vegas to avoid the snow. The other year, the temps were well below freezing in Flagstaff, and we didn't want to gamble on having the rv freeze up. We left the rv near Phoenix, and drove up in the tow car. It can go either way. Check the weather forecast for Flagstaff before going up the hill. They also have a webcam in Flagstaff you can check to see current conditions. If the forecast is snow, or very cold temps, the southern route might be your better option.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #11

I-40 all the way to Albuquerque can have terrible snow storms.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #12

you can bypass flagstaff and still get to i-40 east by taking the following route.

i-10 to phoenix, az-202 to mesa, az-87 to payson, az-260 to heber, then AZ-77, az-277, az-377 to holbrook and then i-40 east. this route is probably shorter from anaheim than going up to barstow to get i-340, but i have not confirmed that with a trip planner.

now that being said all of the roads after az-202 may have snow and weather on them. any route is doable if the weather cooperates. moral to the story: watch the weather!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote