Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another Route Idea?

This may be a terrible idea (I suspect as such since no one has mentioned it) but as I am trying to get from Portland OR to Knoxville TN soonish, what about going I84 to SLC then dropping down to Albuquerque to pick up I40?
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Other than a big climb out of SLC on 80, I'd stay on 80 to Cheyenne and then shoot down 25 in front of the Rockies before cutting off on NM-84 for a short distance and picking up 40 in Santa Rosa.

Keep a keen eye on the weather. I hit snow in Colorado 2 weeks ago on 70.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
This may be a terrible idea (I suspect as such since no one has mentioned it) but as I am trying to get from Portland OR to Knoxville TN soonish, what about going I84 to SLC then dropping down to Albuquerque to pick up I40?

What is the purpose of your trip and what are you driving?

I have done that route when there was a family emergency.

Google maps and my GPS likes to take me on the interstate which connects big cities. It is a great way to see a lot of semi trucks and homeless tent camps.

When I am driving the MH the interstate speed limit does not save me time since I drive slower. For example, I take US-12 to avoid either getting stuck in either Seattle or Portland.

Earlier this year I went through Portland to avoid snow on White Pass. Took 2 hours to get through Portland.

Did I say snow? Headed south through Pendleton OR two weeks ago. Delayed the start of my trip because of snow in the Blue Mountains.

Weather permitting, there are a lot of great two lane road between I-70 & 40.

US-64 across NM for example.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean - how would you get from SLC to albuquerque? would not make sense to go down 15, as you are backtracking. If you head east on 80 just north of SLC you will hit mountain driving (and possibly snow?). I would recommend to stay away from SLC itself - big, crowded, old city. The roads sometimes have very, very sudden merges, and the drivers are not the best. the drive across 80 in WY is high plateau - pretty reasonable driving.

If you go south on the frontrange on 25 (towards albuquerque) , you will have to go through Denver (very crowded, and the drivers are nasty and impolite - I avoid if I can at all costs), and then down the frontrange (which I dislike equally as much - fast, impolite drivers, can be really windy. Last few times I went that way I avoided it and kept to the US and state highways to the east of 25. Also, at the boundary between CO and NM you will hit mountain grades. Driving in NM is good though. You could take the SLC approach, and head east on 80 out of Cheyenne and across nebraska and into Iowa. That is a nice easy drive.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
For winter ..I-84e to I-86e, to I-15s, to US 30e to I-80 e, to I-29s to I-70e to I-64e to I-57s to I-24e to I-40e [@ Nashville] then east to Knockerville.
Pay attention to weather and the wind warnings.. It IS WINTER..
Note, this is the best/flattest route for 18 wheelers. and avoids some of the traffic headaches of several major metro areas.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
saddlesore: Thank you for this. Just so I'm sure of what you mean:

This route goes through Pocatello, Cokeville, Rawlins, Laramie, etc.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
followingsea: Need to get to Knoxville to take care of daughter going through chemo.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We just left Newport, OR on Monday and are now in West Memphis, AK for a couple of days. I/84 to I/86 to I/80 to I/29 in Omaha, NE no problems. BUT... the day before we got to WY they had a small snow storm (3"+-) which would have stopped us for a day. So watch the weather and make a run for it soon!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
saddlesore: Thank you for this. Just so I'm sure of what you mean:

This route goes through Pocatello, Cokeville, Rawlins, Laramie, etc.
That is correct..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would second Saddlesore's suggestion and would echo watch the weather.
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
followingsea: Need to get to Knoxville to take care of daughter going through chemo.
In that case, I would follow saddlesore's route.

My payers are with you. Please keep us posted and have a safe trip.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:42 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
For winter ..I-84e to I-86e, to I-15s, to US 30e to I-80 e, to I-29s to I-70e to I-64e to I-57s to I-24e to I-40e [@ Nashville] then east to Knockerville.
Pay attention to weather and the wind warnings.. It IS WINTER..
Note, this is the best/flattest route for 18 wheelers. and avoids some of the traffic headaches of several major metro areas.
Avoid rush hour in Nashville. Don’t take I-24 thru town to I-40 at ANYTIME. You WILL regret it. From I-24, take Briley Parkway East (TN-155) toward the airport, then exit to I-40 East. Briley Parkway is like interstate for this stretch.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you!

Thank you Mr. Goodbar and to everyone! The motorhome goes in to Les Schwab tomorrow to get Koni FSD shocks (only on the front, I couldn't find the rears in time), Safe-T-Plus steering control, Borg Duallyvalve Kit, and SuperSteer Rear Trac bar. I pack up on Wednesday and leave on Thursday after I teach my 3 classes in the morning.

Whew! I'm really nervous! Been watching the weather like an eagle and it looks like I'll be able to make it out of the West before the next storm system comes in. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your advice, wisdom, and support. I will keep you posted.

Lelah
Old 11-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #14

My advice is to don't push it too hard, be willing to stop and rest when you need to, driving a motorhome is more fatiguing than driving a car, particularly if you have not done it before.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route