Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #1

Any app that takes place of rv gps?

Hi all,
I have a truck with Apple CarPlay and it would be great to have an rv
GPS that was on my phone rather than buy a unit to sit next to it. I have rv life but does anyone out there have an app that they use for nav instead of a separate unit?
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #2

How would you like to be a tester of CarPlay? We began testing a week or 2 ago. If you are interested send in a ticket to the Help Desk and let us know.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

I ran into the same issue with my new tow vehicle.

I went from being able to show my google maps on my truck display to not having a display. I used a RAM mount to place my tablet in a similar position to what my pick up has in it.

I just did a trip with a total of just under 3000 miles and it worked very well.

You could use a phone mount to do a similar thing.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
Hi all,
I have a truck with Apple CarPlay and it would be great to have an rv
GPS that was on my phone rather than buy a unit to sit next to it. I have rv life but does anyone out there have an app that they use for nav instead of a separate unit?
our primary GPS is the one in our dash but I usually also run Google Maps or Waze on my phone or tablet.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

We use this one...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9558.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	321657
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:55 AM   #6

Satellite vs Cell based navigation

I use Google maps:CarPlay, Waze and other trip planning apps in urban areas. But I would caution you that, depending on where you’re traveling, you may want to rethink having a GPS. I have read that roughly 95% of the lower 48 states population has cell coverage, yet less than 50% of the Lower 48 US geography does I have traveled out west for years, and routinely found myself in areas with no cell signal. Even in central California (Kings Canyon and Sequoia forest areas), I’ve been days without cell signal.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonbob View Post
I use Google maps:CarPlay, Waze and other trip planning apps in urban areas. But I would caution you that, depending on where youíre traveling, you may want to rethink having a GPS. I have read that roughly 95% of the lower 48 states population has cell coverage, yet less than 50% of the Lower 48 US geography does I have traveled out west for years, and routinely found myself in areas with no cell signal. Even in central California (Kings Canyon and Sequoia forest areas), Iíve been days without cell signal.

CoPilot actually allows you to download the maps. It's a 3GB download but well worth it for the reasons you state. It's $30 and uses a piece of technology that we already own and are not using going down the road - a tablet.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
How would you like to be a tester of CarPlay? We began testing a week or 2 ago. If you are interested send in a ticket to the Help Desk and let us know.
Can you give more details on this? What help desk?
Old 03-25-2021, 05:41 AM   #9

Copilot was good, but I purchased the app several years ago with lifetime use and map updates. One day, I could no longer use it for my rv. Company upgraded the software abs divided it into categories. I think they also won't to annual subscription at the same time . They wanted me to repurchase the rv category. So much for the lifetime purchase.
I would have purchased it, but who knows what they will change again and recharge for the update.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonbob View Post
I use Google maps:CarPlay, Waze and other trip planning apps in urban areas. But I would caution you that, depending on where youíre traveling, you may want to rethink having a GPS. I have read that roughly 95% of the lower 48 states population has cell coverage, yet less than 50% of the Lower 48 US geography does I have traveled out west for years, and routinely found myself in areas with no cell signal. Even in central California (Kings Canyon and Sequoia forest areas), Iíve been days without cell signal.
You can download the maps to your phone and use the gps even if you donít have a cell signal. Thatís why I have a 256gb phone. Less clutter on the dash is my goal unless the separate gps is just the best solution.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Iím in the trial but now it wants me to subscribe again.

Tags
ace, gps