Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #1

Arkansas - Hwy 7 Hot Springs to Harrison

We want to see a little bit of Arkansas and are considering taking scenic Hwy 7 from Hot Springs to Harrison in our 34 ft. gas motorhome, towing a jeep. Has anyone been this route in a motorhome and can tell me what to expect? We are in no hurry. I think it is Okay but want to check with someone who has driven it.
I've driven mountain roads in Colorado this summer and in North Carolina, but I don't know what to expect on this highway.
We will spend a little time touring around northern Arkansas if anyone has any places of interest to suggest.
Thanks for any insight,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's no problem in a motor home towing. A little twisty in places and a scenic drive. Have driven it in the motor home and ridden it on motorcycle. If you've done Colorado and North Carolina you'll have no problem with this one.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #3

I agree it should be no problem now, we drove it 2 years ago while they were in the process of replacing the last of the narrow bridges between Hot Springs and Harrison, I strongly suspect they have finished by now as most had already been upgraded and the few narrow ones that remained were showing signs of clearing land and dirt work for the replacements. In recent years they have also added passing lanes every few miles along much of this route. The narrowest part will be between Hot Springs and Ola, after that the road gets a little wider with wider shoulders. Your biggest issue will likely be limited number of places where you can pull off the road while towing, there are also only a few RV friendly gas stations on the route, one of which is in Ola, though as I recall the gravel parking lot was in bad shape, the next is probably around Russellville. There are a few scenic pullouts along the route that you will probably fit in fine. It can be hilly in places, but nothing like Colorado, there is a pull out just south of Jasper with a gift shop and a observation tower and a large gravel parking lot, I would suggest stopping and taking in the view, it is probably the most impressive overlook for 500 miles or more in any direction. The steepest part of the drive will probably be the decent from the above mentioned overlook down into the town of Jasper, here again they were actively improving and widening the highway when we were there 2 years ago.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #4

I appreciate the responses and info. We will be there next week and now look forward to the drive. We'll follow Isaac's advice and re-fuel somewhere around Hot Springs. Sounds like they have made some good road improvements for us.
Thanks,
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #5

Do post back with updates and report on current road condition, hwy 7 is always a nice scenic drive, though the most scenic part is north of I-40
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #6

Update from the OP

We did the drive on Hwy 7 from just above Hot Springs to Harrison, and actually are still in Harrison. The drive was great, especially from Russellville on I-40 to Harrison. It is extremely scenic and beautiful, has some good twisting curves and hills (nothing extreme except the beauty). The road is in good shape, pretty smooth and wide enough. We did cross over I believe two narrow bridges, but there were warning signs and no problem.
There is a Pilot Flying J on I-40 at Russellville that was convenient for fueling.
We didn't travel far on any travel day and spent two nights at Alley CreeK COE campground near Jefferson, TX at Lake O' The Pines, then three nights at Tompkins Bend COE campground near Mt. Ida on Lake Ouachita, two nights at Ivy's Cove RV Retreat in Russellville, AR and are spending five nights at Shady Oaks RV Park near Harrison, AR. We liked this route and these campgrounds, and really recommend Hwy 7 as a scenic route in any vehicle. You must stop at the "Cliff Top Restaurant" south of Jasper also.
Thanks,

Tags
arkansas