Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Asheville, NC to Eugene, Or and beyond!

We've sold just about everything and looking to relocate to the PNW. We'll be leaving Asheville in the next few days and, while we're not in a hurry, we'd like to get out "there" within 2 weeks. Because we're packed to the gills, we're looking to have the easiest drive possible- boring is fine. I'm accustomed to mountains, just prefer lower grades. We've done the I-40 to California and then up I-5...hope to never to that again (tore our new rig up). We've tentatively mapped out Indianapolis, to Des Moines, to Salt Lake City.... that's where we get hung up.... suggestions and recommendations much appreciated, for the entire route if there's a better way.
MikeSuzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSuzanne View Post
We've sold just about everything and looking to relocate to the PNW. We'll be leaving Asheville in the next few days and, while we're not in a hurry, we'd like to get out "there" within 2 weeks. Because we're packed to the gills, we're looking to have the easiest drive possible- boring is fine. I'm accustomed to mountains, just prefer lower grades. We've done the I-40 to California and then up I-5...hope to never to that again (tore our new rig up). We've tentatively mapped out Indianapolis, to Des Moines, to Salt Lake City.... that's where we get hung up.... suggestions and recommendations much appreciated, for the entire route if there's a better way.
80 to 84. Straight forward. Not too bad. Some grades, but you know, just slow at those few spots. At Portland I5 north.
ph7ptzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, at Portland I5 south.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

What happened on 40 or 5?
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

I-40 is fine (I've just be on it a lot) but when we headed up I-5 to Gilroy, the road was so rough it shook some suspension bolts loose..and that was our maiden voyage!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

Excellent, thanks. I read about a really bad spot on 84 east of Pendleton (Cabbage Hill?)..any experience with issues there?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cabbage Hill. Very long steep grade. Have to just take it slow up or down and gear down appropriately. During hot weather some drivers (often car) try to climb too fast, overheating and some do not use engine to control speed down burning brakes. Just be patient and slow going up or down. Check out YouTube video titled "Cabbage Hill I84 westbound" or something like. It is "only" 6% has two big curves. Think it will ease your concern about driving this 7 mile stretch.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

You will catch 84/15 a bit NE of SLC, between Evanston, WY and SLC. I'm just thinking that 84 will place you a little more than 100 miles north of Eugene at Portland. Something you may consider is hwy 20 at Ontario, OR to Bend and Sisters. Then hwy's 242 and 126 to Eugene. Hwy 20 to Bend is a good road, but I'm not familiar with 242 or 126. Perhaps someone who is familiar with them will chime in. On the other hand 84 through the Columbia Gorge is a beautiful drive, including Multnomah Falls.

Have a great trip.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
20 is very curvy and very steep places in east OR and also west of Bend. Faster and easier (and maybe safer) to go 84 then south 5. Wife actually got motion sick in east part. Juntura to Harper pretty challenging in particular. Of course in middle straight.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #10

I would respectfully disagree about this assessment of 20, at least the eastern part between Ontario and Bend. While there are some curves in the area mentioned and I recall one upgrade with a passing lane going west, I have never considered it a "bad" road. There was another discussion about using 20 or 26 to get to Eugene not long ago. I think the worst comment was that it was "boring". We have driven it many times on our way from OR to WV and back. It is nearly all across high desert country. My wife is very prone to motion sickness and it has never bothered her. I am not familiar with the roads involved beyond Sisters. We always went south at Bend or a little west of Burns.

On the other hand 84 and 5 would be all interstate although it would be in excess of 200 miles longer.

IMHO, either way will work.

Steve
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Thanks so much....it did help
Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #12

Thanks..this is all very helpful, and we'll probably opt for easiest, even if it's boring at this point...since we plan on living out that way, we'll be able to see the sights in a less heavy vehicle.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

You are leaving one beautiful part of the country for another. We left WV for OR in '73, which is very similar to what you are doing now. I think you will grow to love OR as we have.

Here is a link to the other thread about hwy 20, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/hwy-2...on-322122.html

Best of luck on the trip.

Steve
Old 04-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
You will catch 84/15 a bit NE of SLC, between Evanston, WY and SLC. I'm just thinking that 84 will place you a little more than 100 miles north of Eugene at Portland. Something you may consider is hwy 20 at Ontario, OR to Bend and Sisters. Then hwy's 242 and 126 to Eugene. Hwy 20 to Bend is a good road, but I'm not familiar with 242 or 126. Perhaps someone who is familiar with them will chime in. On the other hand 84 through the Columbia Gorge is a beautiful drive, including Multnomah Falls.

Have a great trip.

Steve
A BIG NO to OR Hy 242. First off it is still closed for the winter, second it is narrow and windy, and it has a length restriction on it. It is a beautiful drive on a bike or car. Has a great observation point at the summit where you can see lot of the Cascades mountains on a clear day.

Hy 20 west of Bend taking OR 22 into Salem then south on I-5 is a good road. Also picking up OR 126 is good too. Dumps you right into Springfield/Eugene.

Watch the weather though. With the winter we have had this year could have a late snow at anytime. TripCheck - Oregon Traveler Information for Oregon weather and highway information.