Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #1

Asheville, NC to Spokane

Hey folks, looking for a little help on getting through Nashville. and maybe St Louis.

We'll be heading west from Asheville, NC on I-40 (boo!!!) and was wondering the best way around Nashville. We've been there before in a car and it was terrible! Well, we did do it during the worst time, 5:00!

Hoping to get through the easiest way. It'll be our 1st major city with our new (to us) 45 foot rig....gulp.

Looks like Rt45 might not be a bad go-around, although, is it all stop-n-go?

Then onto St Louis, should we bypass that somehow, or is it not too bad? (as long as we avoid rush hour).

And KC, do we need to do a bypass there too?

You help is always appreciated.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

I'll take a stab at your question. We recently returned from NC to Oklahoma going though Nashville on I-40 connecting to I-24. Did that portion of the trip around 10 am on Memorial Day and traffic wasn't that bad. Roads clearly marked. Other time we've been through Nashville on I-40 without any issues. As others say, stay in the middle lanes. Going up I-24 right at the border in Illinois was 3 road construction projects that narrowed down to one lane. We spent the best part of an hour through those 3 projects. Were at a stand still several times. Can't brag about Illinois planning.

I'm not a big fan of going through St. Louis but have many times. I try to do it midday and maintain my patience. Never and issue that I recall. My preference is on a Sunday but I don't always get what I want. Can speak of connecting with I-70 in St. Louis as we always go I-44. Kansas City you'll route around on I-435 and probably connect with I-29 I'd guess. Once again, it's never been an issue for me. Fairly simple but I always plan my passing through on any major city after and prior to rush hours. Hope this helps and have a safe trip.
2013 Newell #1472
2006 Travel Supreme Select
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Hey folks, looking for a little help on getting through Nashville. and maybe St Louis.

We'll be heading west from Asheville, NC on I-40 (boo!!!) and was wondering the best way around Nashville. We've been there before in a car and it was terrible! Well, we did do it during the worst time, 5:00!

Hoping to get through the easiest way. It'll be our 1st major city with our new (to us) 45 foot rig....gulp.

Looks like Rt45 might not be a bad go-around, although, is it all stop-n-go?

Then onto St Louis, should we bypass that somehow, or is it not too bad? (as long as we avoid rush hour).

And KC, do we need to do a bypass there too?

You help is always appreciated.
Easy to avoid Nashville - Avoid it!

A to B might work - if that's the plan - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=9455f...=2&form=S00027

But for me I'd work my way through Colorado and GTNO and YNP let's make this FUN - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=28996...=2&form=S00027

Justt seems to me you should add a few stops - and if possible a whole lot more could easily be included if desired.

Best of Luck, long potentially Beautiful drive.

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Easy to avoid Nashville - Avoid it!

A to B might work - if that's the plan - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=9455f...=2&form=S00027

But for me I'd work my way through Colorado and GTNO and YNP let's make this FUN - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=28996...=2&form=S00027

Justt seems to me you should add a few stops - and if possible a whole lot more could easily be included if desired.

Best of Luck, long potentially Beautiful drive.

Hope this Helps,
Slight change in Map added Dubois so you would approach the Tetons on RT 26 and the Continental Divide, Awesome. - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=b0144...=2&form=S00027

Best of Luck,
Old 06-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #5

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That is SOME ROUTE!!! If we weren't just picking up a totally new to us rig, and had all our stuff with us, AND actually had some miles and experience with this rig, I would probably take your recommended route as it looks amazing!!

But wow...right through the heart of the Rockies, which I will do some day, once I get a bit more experience with this rig. I will keep this route for another day.

THANKS!!!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #6

Quote:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That is SOME ROUTE!!! If we weren't just picking up a totally new to us rig, and had all our stuff with us, AND actually had some miles and experience with this rig, I would probably take your recommended route as it looks amazing!!

But wow...right through the heart of the Rockies, which I will do some day, once I get a bit more experience with this rig. I will keep this route for another day.

THANKS!!!
As this is not your First RV - I think with the 45'er I'd much rather drive through the Mountains than through any major City. IMHO, really the problems are in the Cities not the Mountains. Add to that the fact that this will be a lot of Miles - you need to enjoy a few days in those beautiful Rockies.

Out of Curiosity what will your preferred route be. At least give the major waypoints if you don't have a Map to Post.

So much to See - don't waste a minute - Go out and See It Now!

So Much to SEE and Never Enough TIME!

JMHO
Old 06-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Slight change in Map added Dubois so you would approach the Tetons on RT 26 and the Continental Divide, Awesome. - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=b0144...=2&form=S00027
I totally agree with this route with your 45'. It's really quite easy. In Colorado it will be I-70 - an interstate. Nothing scary about it. Also, by the time you get there you'll be a pro!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I totally agree with this route with your 45'. It's really quite easy. In Colorado it will be I-70 - an interstate. Nothing scary about it. Also, by the time you get there you'll be a pro!!!
HA! I sure hope so! (being a pro). So nervous....and excited.

So yes, I'll look at this route again. I'm concerned that it's going to be the 4th of July week and weekend while we're driving so campgrounds will probably be full. Although when we travel we normally just stop at Walmart's, Cracker-barrels, etc, for our stops unless we're stopping to see something. When we headed down to Florida last fall we stopped at San Antonio for a few days so we got a nice campground. But most of the stops were just overnight at parking lots.

So yeah...I guess we'll play it somewhat by ear as far as how much we plan on being touristy since we won't have any of our gear with us. We'll be driving back an empty RV.

I wonder if I should weight the rig and adjust the tires accordingly? I'm assuming they are setup for a rig that is fully loaded....??...hmm, might have to think on that a bit.

Thanks for all the help folks! I'll be back once we get the rig and start our travels and report in...that is if my hands ever stop shaking....
Old 06-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:

Best of Luck,
Busskipper, Still trying to decide on what route to do. I 'thought' my DW & I were on the same page: "Yes we should take the most direct and fastest way back", but when I told her what you and the TwoGypsies said she agreed with them! BUT I said, "This is a NEW rig to us, we have NO IDEA what to expect let alone how to drive it!!"

We're coming from a 32' gas rig and although we did do almost 10K miles last season in it, I knew everything about it. I did a lot of work on it, and had a lot done on it and felt confident traveling all those miles. But now we're talking about a completely FOREIGN environment to me!

Diesel Fuel alone is foreign. And it smells funny! LOL!

But seriously, 45 feet, a dashboard that is completely BUSY and all those switches and buttons!! AAAHHHH!!!!

And route 40?! I HATE THAT ROUTE!! I drove that with a car a few years ago and it was SOLID with truckers. I was like GET OUT OF MY WAY! Of course with this rig, I'd probably be right at home. But looking at it with Google Street View, it looks very narrow and rough, and yeah...lots and lots of trucks! (Can you tell I'm stressing?)

Give me Texas! WIDE OPEN SPACES and open roads! LOL! But that's a bit out of the way.

So yeah...I guess there's no other way out of NC then I-40W....hmm, I'll keep studying on it.

Thanks (I think...)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Busskipper, Still trying to decide on what route to do. I 'thought' my DW & I were on the same page: "Yes we should take the most direct and fastest way back", but when I told her what you and the TwoGypsies said she agreed with them! BUT I said, "This is a NEW rig to us, we have NO IDEA what to expect let alone how to drive it!!"

How about a split the diference fast but a little trip through Americas First Park - but still straight forward - Use RT 36 by putting Hannibal then Casper in the map as way points, then Dubois to get you into the Tetons and Yellowstone - stopping for Old Faithfull on the way to west Yellowstone.

Your New Rig will drive just like the old rig just Easier - with the engine Brakes and the Bigger engine, it will be a Breeze.

We're coming from a 32' gas rig and although we did do almost 10K miles last season in it, I knew everything about it. I did a lot of work on it, and had a lot done on it and felt confident traveling all those miles. But now we're talking about a completely FOREIGN environment to me!

Start reading - Diesel is different - BUT - not harder - most of the things you did on the old Coach will be done on the New Coach - Difference should be that it is just Higher Quality - so less issues. Bring a tool bag as it will need fuses screws and Bolts tightened and other issues serviced.

Diesel Fuel alone is foreign. And it smells funny! LOL!

Remember that as you do not want to mix the two -- Usually the Pump Handle is Green! that makes it Easy!

But seriously, 45 feet, a dashboard that is completely BUSY and all those switches and buttons!! AAAHHHH!!!!

Same info you were getting (Except Air Pressure) in the 32' Coach , AAHHH so easy.

And route 40?! I HATE THAT ROUTE!! I drove that with a car a few years ago and it was SOLID with truckers. I was like GET OUT OF MY WAY! Of course with this rig, I'd probably be right at home. But looking at it with Google Street View, it looks very narrow and rough, and yeah...lots and lots of trucks! (Can you tell I'm stressing?)

I also Hate I-40 so I avoid it - you should too - lousy road and not even close to the Shortest route to your destination, I have no idea how it even comes into play as a Major part of this Trip.

Give me Texas! WIDE OPEN SPACES and open roads! LOL! But that's a bit out of the way.

Texas is wide open but it is not anywhere between your destination - if you need wide open spaces Kansas and Mosouri will give you plenty just mostly with Corn - not Tumble Weeds, we avoid St Louis and Kansas City by getting to Hannibal and RT 36 - Good Road - Less Trucks - Less traffic - just easy!

So yeah...I guess there's no other way out of NC then I-40W....hmm, I'll keep studying on it.

Lets think if you can just get out of Ashville and Head towards Hannibal then as possible more State roads to Casper and beyond, then Spokane. - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=51349...=2&form=S00027

The section of I-40 out of Ashville may be the hardest section of the entire drive - Advice - is to get in with the Trucks and Just run at there Speed - some slow but usually they are in line and stay in line - Do Not Try to get into the Passing lane untill you are comfortable with the rig - this first little bit weaving though the Mountains is not where you want to try to find out this thing is not 32'. Get comfortable here leave space and Take space, otherwise it will not be Fun.

Thanks (I think...)
You can Do it -Just like the little Engine That Could - "I Think I Can, Ithink I Can"

Best of luck, lot of Great Wal*Mart's (In a 45' Cracker Barrel is really not an Option, just not enough room.), we did all but I-40 as we left from Maryland.

As you cross the Continital divide to the Grand Tetons be sure to stop and Take a picture, Beautiful.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Busskipper showed you a good route up through KY. But I'm reading this and coming away shaking my head. Sounds like that long rig you are going to drive is intimating you. It shouldn't. Just go through Nashville and St. Louis on a big interstate if you want. Then go on up to Spokane. I would think you might be more comfortable on interstates in that bus than on secondary roads and small towns. And you're likely to find "big rig" campgrounds easier.

I think you should be more worried about not having reservations than which route you take. And if you're traveling over any national holiday weekend and don't have reservations already you should focus on that first.

Maybe explore RV Trip Wizard or MyScenicDrives.com to help you start planning - NOW.

Here is a suggestion.... Try to make overnight reservations past & outside major cities like Nashville, St Louis, etc. That way you miss the morning rush trying to get through those cities. And plan to get to those parks early to miss the evening rush hours in cities. It works for us.

Maybe on the way back when you finally feel comfy with the big RV follow what Busskipper and two gypsies are suggestions through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Rockies, etc. Although for me I would take any day in any major city over driving near/through the Tetons and Yellowstone. If you think it's busy on interstates just try driving through Jackson Hole on any day at any time!!! Yikes - narrow, crowded, slooooowwwww....
Old 06-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #12

Still trying to get to Asheville...stuck in Chicago due to weather and now we have to fly into an airport an hour away from the rig and figure out how to get there....ugh.

But....Chicago was nice

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3706.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	333788

Name:	IMG_3661.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	333789

Name:	IMG_3696.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	333790
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #13

Hey Folks, thought I had better FINALLY check in and let you know how it's been going on our trip back home after buying this monster.

So...where to begin...I have other post strewn all through IRV2 forums asking for help on all sorts of topics since this coach is totally new and very complicated compared to the old gasser.

We did everything wrong when purchasing this...we didn't get an inspector as we felt we were knowledge able enough to know when things are working or not, but everything went sort of sideways from the start. So I will try and explain as quickly as possible.

As you know, our flight to Asheville didn't happen due to weather so we didn't get to see the rig until Sunday the 27th of June. While test driving it a stop engine light kept coming on every time I took my foot off the gas and pressed the brake peddle. The owner knew about this before we came out and had a mobile tech grab the fault code which was 432 which at the time he said was a Throttle Position Sensor, (You can read about that thread here)

So once we got the all good call, we went to the shop hopped in and took off.

You see anything missing from this description? Yes...two things:
1. We didn't get time to actually fully inspect the rig since it was in the shop the entire time.
2. We didn't get ANY info on how anything works!

BUT...one thing we knew for certain...we wanted this rig and it is a beautiful rig inside and out (with the exception of painting checking...sigh..whataya going to do).

It was priced right, below NADA, and we knew we'd need to get new tires and batteries at some time so we decided it was worth taking a chance.

So we hopped in the RV, took I-40, which honestly was easy-peasy, don't know why I was freaking out. I just drove REALLY slowly...followed a fellow RVer who was pulling a trailer and doing about 55 to 60 MPH..which was perfect. We got into Sneedville, TN, and after having dinner, came out and the rig wouldn't start. I had ONE hint that my batteries weren't up to snuff earlier when we were moving the rig.

We were able to limp to an Autozone and purchased two chassis batteries...still wouldn't start. The next morning, I bought a bunch of tools crawled underneath and with the help of a good friend, we tightened every electrical connection we could. The positive wire to the starter took 21 turns...TWENTY-ONE TURNS! Boom...started right up! WOOHOO! The next day we were on our way.

Somewhere along the line we turned off the generator that was running the AC (No dash AC..the owner said he never used it as it just didn't work that well, which we accepted as other folks have said the same thing about big rigs...turns out..IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL! NO FAN...NOTHING...errr..but our mistake.... as we didn't check anything out). And when we attempted to use the microwave to make some popcorn, it started, and then after about 15 seconds it stopped. Tried it again, same thing. I went over and looked at the battery levels...11 volts..ugh.

So we stopped in Boonville, MO spent the night at Wally-world (thank goodness for those folks!) and decided to purchase some house batteries. The folks at the battery store said they'd install them for us, but when we got there, there was no way we could get the rig into their parking lot, so I just loaded them into the basement and went on our way.

Hit some rain in rain in Missouri and the windshield wipers were banging so badly against the side of the window it finally pushed off one of the wipers! I had to pull over and use my gorilla tape to hold it on and to protect the fiberglass on the edge. There were a bunch of gouges in it when we looked at it, and the owner said the PO owner put on too big of wipers which caused it. I don't believe it...the wipers completely go too far over and loudly bang against the side...sigh...not sure how to fix this..so far, just using the tape to protect the front and hold on the wiper...will figure it out when we get home.

In Iowa the elect toilet refused to open..."ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!" You can read about that here.

So currently we're in Gillet, WY at another Wallyworld, and last night someone virtually knocked on the door while inside his Jeep and mentioned there's a FMCA event here in Gillet and recommended we stop by and check it out, so I think we might just do that.

We're about two days away from Spokane and are 'slowly' learning about this coach but I will say this...when it's opened up like at our last and 1st campground (so far) WOW! That's when we fully realize why we bought this. It is so beautiful and has SO MUCH ROOM! Wow...just really really love it.

It's just all these niggling issues due to poor maintenance. I mean...who doesn't check the water in the house batteries...it took TWO GALLONS of distilled water to fill four batteries...that's just terrible.

Also some of our frustration is just not knowing how things are supposed to work, which, once we get home and I can spend some time reading all these manuals, it will be a much better experience when we head back to Florida this fall.

So there you have it, our travels in a nutshell. I've been pushing it pretty hard as far as how long we've been driving so when we finally pull into a Walmart it's late and I'm tired and haven't felt like posting anything here.

We've made a couple of attempts to see things, like we stopped at a KOA by the 1880 Town in South Dakota and spent some time walking about the town, which we had been there before back in 1989 with our Class C: that we were driving out from MA to Boise, ID, with our four little kids, and here 32 years later we're here again...felt a bit surreal.

They we stupidly made a drive through in Sturgis thinking we could park downtown at a Tourist Center...nope..not a good idea, as soon as we got downtown and saw there was no room, we just found our way back to I-90 and kept driving here to Gillet.

I will say, wow...this rig, all 46K pounds of it, holds the road so well! We went through a REALLY strong and impressive rain storm just before Gillet and, other than the windshield wipers beating the heck outta of the side of the window, it was a breeze getting through it. The wind just didn't bother the rig like it does on the old gasser.

So yeah...we're loving this rig! Although, filling the gas tank is taking some getting use to...glup...over $300!! AAAHHH!!! But...we can drive a LONG ways on one fill up. That's pretty cool!

And so far, driving 45 feet is not an issue, and even getting in and out of tight space is a breeze! That IFS has a VERY TIGHT turning radius! Just amazing, and why is there no (very little) tail swing on this rig? When we drove that 42' Revolution down in ABQ a month ago, I was SHOCKED at how much tail swing there was. I had to do a tight right turn (the one thing I was dreading) in downtown Sturgis, and I was hanging over the inside of my lane, but I watched as I started my turn and it never even came close to the cars in the other lane. That Revolution would have whipped out the whole string of cars! Just can't say enough about how this rig drives. On good roads it's like we're on a cloud..and then we hit some of those bridge abutments and BOOM! I'm brought back to reality that our roads REALLY need some help! I-90 has some issues as soon as you leave S Dakota, wow..I finally just started driving in the left lane as much as possible. But right now, it's pretty good road. (We also might need some new shocks)

Okay...all done for today.

Safe travels everyone!
Old 07-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #14

So glad you love it and how it drives. They do handle very well for the size!

You'll get it all sorted out so you can relax on your next big trip. Best of luck with it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote