Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Astoria OR to Mt Vernon WA

Heading out after next week on a 2-3 week adventure from hometown of Pioneer Ca to Mt Vernon to Idaho and back. Have most of the first leg planned out(thanks to fellow members suggestions) but undecided when we get to Astoria about where to stay and see from there to Mt Vernon. Looking for a mid-way stop over point. Any suggestions? While I'm at it, need some suggestions for the route from Mt Vernon to Couer d lane ID ( never could spell that right,sorry) Thanks in advance
Jack
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From Mt. Vernon, I-5 then east on I-90. This summer we stayed in beautiful state parks with full hook ups in Washington and Oregon. They both have good reservations systems on line too.

Washington State Parks Home Page

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Visiting State Parks - Find A Park

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed north of CDA at lake pend d'orielle (sp) at a state park. Didn't have sewer hook-up but otherwise it was beautiful. By the way you need to go EAST on I-90, not west.

We live in Mount Vernon and don't know of a decent RV park in the area. The ones here are primarily used by migrant workers. The is a nice state park west of here - Bayview state park, but again no sewer.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We'll be staying at my son's in Big Lake and my sisters in Couer d Alene so those two stops are covered. Mostly looking for 'tweeter stops between those two.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't say what time of year you are coming this way. As long as there isn't snow over the Cascade passes, then CDA is an easy day's drive from Mt. Vernon. It is less than 400 miles.

We drove it last month, each way, and it was an easy day in our Class A.

BTW, we live in the Big Lake area.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

The state park in Port Townsend is a winner.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture47 View Post
You didn't say what time of year you are coming this way. As long as there isn't snow over the Cascade passes, then CDA is an easy day's drive from Mt. Vernon. It is less than 400 miles.

We drove it last month, each way, and it was an easy day in our Class A.

BTW, we live in the Big Lake area.
No more 400 mi. drives for me. Back doesn't like it and neither does the DW. Rather stop along the way and see some sites. Years ago, when I had my plane, we flew into Grand Coulee to see the laser light show. That was worth the stop. We had two grandkids with us and they just loved it.
Oh forgot,we'll be going to CDA around the first week in Nov. Shouldn't have to worry about the snow but if so, we'll just wait it out.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
In Astoria I highly recommend Lewis and Clark RV Resort. It is new, very nice and the owners are most helpful and a warehouse of information about what to see and do in the area.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #9

Unfortunately, there's no "easy" way. Your choices are all winding two-lane roads for some of the distance. We recently did a round trip from Anacortes via the NW Meet & Greet near Castle Rock, then to Astoria, Tillamook, Portland and home on I-5. We took Oregon 30 west from Longview to Astoria OR-30 is a winding two-lane and it took 3:30 driving time. The following morning we took 101 to Tillamook (to see the Air Museum). From an overnight in Tillamook, we took OR highway 6 to the western fringe of Portland and then the 405 western ring road onto I-5.

Because of the way the Columbia River flows NNW out of Portland for a long way before it goes more westerly to the ocean, and the amount of big ship traffic, there are no bridges between Longview and Astoria.

My first preference, since we live only 20 miles from Mount Vernon, would be to go across the Columbia at Astoria, then take 101 up the coast and across the "top" until you get to SR20. Follow that to Port Townsend and take the ferry across to Coupeville. It's then just 50 miles or so on SR20 north on Whidbey Island and then east into M-V. There's a county park a little way west of Port Townsend that featured as a header on this website for a while. We haven't stayed there, but it got good reviews from folks on here who recognised it.

Another alternative, with slightly wider, straighter roads would be to head east from Aberdeen on SR12, left onto 101 at Alma, left onto 108 at McCleary. From the end of 108, head north on 101 to Shelton, then NE on SR 3 through Bremerton and Poulsbo to Clinton. At Clinton you could take the ferry to Edmonds and drive up I-5 from there to M-V, or contiue on 101 over the floating bridge to pick up SR20 to Port Townsend and the Coupville ferry.

Google Maps would give you mileage and time comparisons and the Washington State ferry system woud give you fares, service freqeuncies and crossing times (www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries). With that information you can figure the "best" way for you. The Olympic Peninsula is a lot more scenic than the flog up I-5.

If you do go the Portland/I-5 route, there's very nice CG off I-5 at exit 22, called Columbia Riverfront RV Resort. We had stopped there on our way back from Tillamook. Very nice layout, right on the river bank, with river views from all the sites. Not cheap, but very pleasant. It's then 209 miles from there to the M-V exit. For us, Tillamook to Anacortes was a one-night stop-over. We left Tillamook about 13:00, got the the resort about 16:30. We left the following morning about 09:00 and were home in Anacortes by 15:30. That timing missed the nasty rush-hour traffic in Seattle and Everett, which can easily add 90 more minutes between Tacoma and Marysville.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #10

When in Astoria there are several options. The Seaside/Astoria/Warrenton KOA is one of the better KOAs I have stayed in; large, well maintained, friendly staff and a variety of sites to choose from. Another option is Fort Stevens State Park. Fort Stevens is a large state park with a variety of sites to choose from including full hookup and pull-through sites. Just across the river in Washington is Long Beach Peninsula with some state parks and a large number of private camp grounds.

Happy Camping!
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Unfortunately, there's no "easy" way. Your choices are all winding two-lane roads for some of the distance. We recently did a round trip from Anacortes via the NW Meet & Greet near Castle Rock, then to Astoria, Tillamook, Portland and home on I-5. We took Oregon 30 west from Longview to Astoria OR-30 is a winding two-lane and it took 3:30 driving time. The following morning we took 101 to Tillamook (to see the Air Museum). From an overnight in Tillamook, we took OR highway 6 to the western fringe of Portland and then the 405 western ring road onto I-5.

Because of the way the Columbia River flows NNW out of Portland for a long way before it goes more westerly to the ocean, and the amount of big ship traffic, there are no bridges between Longview and Astoria.

My first preference, since we live only 20 miles from Mount Vernon, would be to go across the Columbia at Astoria, then take 101 up the coast and across the "top" until you get to SR20. Follow that to Port Townsend and take the ferry across to Coupeville. It's then just 50 miles or so on SR20 north on Whidbey Island and then east into M-V. There's a county park a little way west of Port Townsend that featured as a header on this website for a while. We haven't stayed there, but it got good reviews from folks on here who recognised it.

Another alternative, with slightly wider, straighter roads would be to head east from Aberdeen on SR12, left onto 101 at Alma, left onto 108 at McCleary. From the end of 108, head north on 101 to Shelton, then NE on SR 3 through Bremerton and Poulsbo to Clinton. At Clinton you could take the ferry to Edmonds and drive up I-5 from there to M-V, or contiue on 101 over the floating bridge to pick up SR20 to Port Townsend and the Coupville ferry.

Google Maps would give you mileage and time comparisons and the Washington State ferry system woud give you fares, service freqeuncies and crossing times (www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries). With that information you can figure the "best" way for you. The Olympic Peninsula is a lot more scenic than the flog up I-5.

If you do go the Portland/I-5 route, there's very nice CG off I-5 at exit 22, called Columbia Riverfront RV Resort. We had stopped there on our way back from Tillamook. Very nice layout, right on the river bank, with river views from all the sites. Not cheap, but very pleasant. It's then 209 miles from there to the M-V exit. For us, Tillamook to Anacortes was a one-night stop-over. We left Tillamook about 13:00, got the the resort about 16:30. We left the following morning about 09:00 and were home in Anacortes by 15:30. That timing missed the nasty rush-hour traffic in Seattle and Everett, which can easily add 90 more minutes between Tacoma and Marysville.
Thanks for the very detailed routes. What amount of time can one expect by taking either one of these route as opposed to a more direct route from Astoria directly over to the 5 and then on up to MV? Not that I'm opposed to a more scenic route but it does seem a LOT further.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #12

There is no direct route from Astoria to I-5 without swinging south east to Portland and adding a lot of miles. We went north east to Aberdeen then east on 12 to Tacoma. However you are then dealing with traffic through Seattle. Try to time it for mid day or evening, rush hour in that zoo is no fun.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
There is no direct route from Astoria to I-5 without swinging south east to Portland and adding a lot of miles. We went north east to Aberdeen then east on 12 to Tacoma. However you are then dealing with traffic through Seattle. Try to time it for mid day or evening, rush hour in that zoo is no fun.
I looked again at Google Maps and now I see thar route 30 doesn't cross over at I5. Looks like you have to travel south to Portland. Not good. They need a bridge there.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
No more 400 mi. drives for me. Back doesn't like it and neither does the DW. Rather stop along the way and see some sites. Years ago, when I had my plane, we flew into Grand Coulee to see the laser light show. That was worth the stop. We had two grandkids with us and they just loved it.
Oh forgot,we'll be going to CDA around the first week in Nov. Shouldn't have to worry about the snow but if so, we'll just wait it out.
I have lived in Washington State since 1978 and I have never found a lot of places to stop between the Seattle area and the Spokane area. There may be some places around Moses Lake that would work for a lay-over. I am just not familiar with that area.