Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Atlanta/Long Island NY Scenic Route Info

I'm trying to figure out a scenic route from Atlanta to NY. I will not be towing my trailer. I want to avoid I85/95, if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route. Any advice/responses will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like this route: I75 to Knoxville, I81 toPhilly and then I78.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree that 81 is a great route.

You may want to turn off in Winchester, VA and take Rt. 7 to Rt. 340 and then Rt. 15. Will be near Harpers Ferry and go up through Gettysburg before reconnecting with I-81 in Harrisburg, PA.

Also note that you pick up I-78 well before Philly.

Once in NJ, stay on I-78 to I-287 to I-80. That will take you over the George Washington Bridge to the Cross Bronx to the Throngs Neck Bridge and down to the "Lon-G'island" Expressway. There is NO scenic route in that area. Hopefully you have an EZ Pass as there are tolls at all the bridges.

A scenic alternative in NJ is to turn off I-78 onto Rt. 22 while still in PA. Take 22 into NJ and then take Rt. 57 (left exit) while in Phillipsburg, NJ. 57 will take you to Rt. 46 and that will lead you to I-80.

Some stops in eastern PA near your route are the Crayola Factory and the Martin Guitar Factory. If you go through York, PA, you can visit the Harley factory.

I'm only 2 miles off I-78 right after you pass into NJ if you run into any troubles.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
In South Carolina I-26 NW to I-77 N to I-81 NE into Pa then refer to directions above E towards NY. Note when nearing the metro NJ NY area put on blinders and stay on the main highways.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks everyone. Your responses are most helpful and very much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HoboPals-

Last time I went across the GW (George Washington) Bridge, pulling a toad (5 axles), eight years ago, it cost $60 bucks!

Now if I have to go to L.I., I park the RV in New Jersey and use the toad.

Good luck,
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
HoboPals-

Last time I went across the GW (George Washington) Bridge, pulling a toad (5 axles), eight years ago, it cost $60 bucks!

Now if I have to go to L.I., I park the RV in New Jersey and use the toad.

Good luck,
Holy Cow! Glad I'm only taking my truck. I'm taking the routes suggested, and my GPS actually takes me that way, but it doesn't take me to the Verazano to the Belt Parkway which is the way I'd rather go. If I can't figure it out on my own, I'll follow which takes me through the Lincoln tunnel and Grand Central Parkway--unless, of course, someone here knows how I get to the Verazano.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HoboPals,

I haven't done it for years now, but the best way to get to the "Belt parkway" is to get onto the New Jersey Turnpike, I-95, to EXIT 13, Linden NJ/Staten Island,NY. Take I-278 over the "Goethals Bridge" to Staten island and on to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn and the Belt Parkway.

I've done this many times as "home town" to me is Oceanside L.I., on the South shore.

It shouldn't make any difference since your in a personally owned truck, but no motorhomes/trailers, or commericial traffic (I think) are allowed on the Belt parkway or on the Southern Sate Parkway- For one thing the overpasses are too low. You'll need To follow I-278 to I-495E the L.I.E. (Long Island Expressway) for any vehicle besides a personally owned car/truck if your heading eastbound.

Good luck,
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
HoboPals,

I haven't done it for years now, but the best way to get to the "Belt parkway" is to get onto the New Jersey Turnpike, I-95, to EXIT 13, Linden NJ/Staten Island,NY. Take I-278 over the "Goethals Bridge" to Staten island and on to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn and the Belt Parkway.
Good luck,
Max, we were neighbors. I hail from Baldwin--right next door. Had a lot of friends in Oceanside. Thanks so much for this information. It was just what I was looking for. Have a great day.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I was on the Belt a few months ago going to my wife's cousin's birthday party. It is pretty much a construction site from the bridge to JFK. Give yourself plenty of time.

Don't forget that the exit off the bridge for the Belt is on the LEFT.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HoboPals, (Jack, I think)-

Hi Neighbor-,

My favorite Pizza place in the world was the "Venice" on Merrick road in Baldwin. We always stopped there on nights after stock car and midget racing at the 1/4 mile high school track in Freeport- Ahhhh, many memories. I grew up on Perkins Ave, right across the street from "Nathan's" on Long Beach Road.
Then I enlisted into the Air Force, and after a long journey, became a Pilot, and a career of flying- both in the service and in the corporate world.

I always exited the Southern State Pkwy in Rockville Center.

Quote:
Don't forget that the exit off the bridge for the Belt is on the LEFT.
Tom, I've made that mistake and ended up in Brooklyn- !

Have a great trip-
Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
HoboPals, (Jack, I think)-
Jack is my pup--yellow lab.

Quote:
Hi Neighbor-,
Yes, very cool!

Quote:
My favorite Pizza place in the world was the "Venice" on Merrick road in Baldwin.
Oh, my gosh! That's incredible. My Dad used to bring a pizza home to us when we were kids--just every now and again--and we were allowed to have one piece which left us drooling for the next time. What a coincidence! They don't make pizza down here in the south like the Venice. I'll find out if it is still there.

Quote:
We always stopped there on nights after stock car and midget racing at the 1/4 mile high school track in Freeport- Ahhhh, many memories. I grew up on Perkins Ave, right across the street from "Nathan's" on Long Beach Road.
Oh, geez, more oh my goshes! My brother raced at Freeport. He never won anything, but wrecked many a car in the demolition races at the end of the night! They have just opened a Nathan's here (again). They had one years ago, but not the same as the one on Long Beach Road. Hope their second try is closer. Gosh, I just can't believe this!

Quote:
Then I enlisted into the Air Force, and after a long journey, became a Pilot, and a career of flying- both in the service and in the corporate world.
My husband enlisted in the Air Force, too. He didn't get to the flying stage. He was stationed out on a radar site on Mt. Hebo on the coast of Oregon which is where we headed each summer with our motorhome when he was alive.

[/quote]I always exited the Southern State Pkwy in Rockville Center.[/quote]

I was born in Lynbrook, lived in Rockville Center as a very young child, moved to Baldwin, grew up, Married, moved to Valley Stream, then to Farmingdale, and landed in Atlanta. Good old Southern State--they didn't plan for expansion when they built those bridges, did they? Maybe that's a good thing.

Well, Max, nice to meet you. It really is a small world. I worked for Pan American many years ago so that's sort of a coincidence, too. Thanks for all your help and advice as far as my trip back. If the Venice is still there, I'll have a piece of pizza for you, and I'll definitely tip my hat as I eat a hot dog at Nathans!

Quote:
Tom, I've made that mistake and ended up in Brooklyn- !

Have a great trip-
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #13

Agree with Max no Lincoln tunnel ...shiver...
We use to live in Hampton VA, now in Scranton PA, sister is still out past Port Jeff. It takes me as long or longer to go the last 70 miles as it does the 1st 120.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Agree with Max no Lincoln tunnel ...shiver...
We use to live in Hampton VA, now in Scranton PA, sister is still out past Port Jeff. It takes me as long or longer to go the last 70 miles as it does the 1st 120.
Put in the mix that I'm an old lady in a big Dodge Ram 3500 truck and it may get interesting no matter which way I go! My husband and I once went straight through Manhattan with a 42 foot motorhome--we got some pretty odd looks to say the least! He got us through without any dents--what a great driver he was. Makes me smile to think of him.