Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

Atlanta straight through, same for Jacksonville, still haven't go ST. Louis figured out, Washington, DC take the bypass but in all avoid the rush hour like the plague.
GWCowgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #16

There is a reason why the 285 ByPass in Atlanta is called the "285 Parking Lot". Driving straight thru is usually better. But in the Class C, I preferred to miss it entirely. The first time I drove the Class C was from Franklin, NC to Cordele, GA on the East by pass. Thank heavens the truckers were kind enough to let me over (and I returned the favour). We came to a complete stand still and all because it was the exit ramp to the malls near Macon. That was enough to make me start looking for an alternative route.

Atlanta traffic has sure changed since the days when my mom would blow thru Atlanta doing 125MPH on I-75 and since David & I have traveled Atlanta's I-75 doing 90MPH... we tended to travel at night when there was less traffic. Now the traffic is fairly heavy 24/7. Can't even rely on the early Sunday morning traffic being "light". We just figure on doing our part to "lighten the load" and bypass Atlanta all together when ever possible.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #17

[QUOTE=scenic route;801374]... As to using the HOV lane, I wouldn't do it unless you plan on driving 10mgh over the speed limit. I've experience some road rage driving 5mph over from some drivers wanting to go faster...Atlanta is a different animal, you just never know what you'll run into.

For those of you unaware, the speed 'limit' thru Atlanta (inside the perimeter) is 55 so if you have to go 10 over you are still only doing 65. Don't let them push you around, you're bigger than they are.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
just went threw there fri day at 1 pm no problem
safe fravels bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #19

We took the bi pass southbound in Jan with no problems. Going back home our plans would have put us going through Atlanta during the morning rush so we decided to take the 77 route. We live near Toronto and I can tell you ( weather permitting) the 95,26,77,19,79,90 route is much better with no big city traffic to worry about. ( just a few hills).
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We took the bi pass southbound in Jan with no problems. Going back home our plans would have put us going through Atlanta during the morning rush so we decided to take the 77 route. We live near Toronto and I can tell you ( weather permitting) the 95,26,77,19,79,90 route is much better with no big city traffic to worry about. ( just a few hills).

Living near Toronto you know all about traffic ! I use to lease my truck to Thomson Emergency Freight out of Windsor and ran through Toronto all the time..... I would stay at the Husky truck stop in Mississauga ....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #21

Thanks to everyone for their replys. I guess it confirms my route year after year. I'll be cussing out the traffic tomorrow around mid-day. Will be at Sanibel Thursday and Atlanta will only be a memory! Jim
jpping45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Atlanta is just like any other large city. If it's not rush hour there's no problem. Just like any other city during the morning rush all inbound sides of the interstate will be crowded and heavily trafficed. In the afternoon rush all outbound sides will be congested. The loop or by-pass as some call it is steady most of the time with heavier traffic than straight through. This is due to the fact that all through trucks are "required" to take I-285 around the city, if they don't and get caught the fines are very significant. I-285 around the city gets even worse than straight through in certain sections, mostly the north loop during rush hours due to the required truck traffic mixed with the work traffic of rush hour.

I've lived and drove here in the Atlanta area all of my life. The only difference is that most of our busiest interstates have been widened to 6 lanes or more on each side. People passing through don't know which lane to be in and impatient people want to run the fast lanes and cut across all lanes at their exit (a**holes). Mostly people know where to be and run at high speed on the loop and get impatient with vehicles who are unfamiliar.

Like I said it's really no different than any other large city I've traveled through. In Miami use of the horn and non use of turn signals drive me crazy, folks there like to cut everyone off for their own convenience. Orlando at rush hour is a parking lot. St. louis in the morning is ruff. Most any big city I've traveled through is very similar other than it's location geographically. Now the Washington D.C. area is a different story all together. Out west is the only areas I know of that are more relaxed and easier to manuever through the cities.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #23

Cool

Agree with Our Time. Have towed a 30 ft. TT through the middle of town several times. Ownly dicey time was when we hit it during rush hour. People seem to love to cut in front of campers- don't guess they realize it takes a little more to stop a couple of tons.
KampingKrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Living near Toronto you know all about traffic ! I use to lease my truck to Thomson Emergency Freight out of Windsor and ran through Toronto all the time..... I would stay at the Husky truck stop in Mississauga ....
Yes I know all to well about the Toronto traffic. You don't have to worry about what time you roll through as its rush hour all day long. Unlike Atlanta the only good bi pass would be the very expensive toll highway 407.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote