Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

Atlanta to San Francisco in November-December

I wanted to get some feedback on routing to go from Atlanta to San Francisco. I plan on leaving in mid November and returning in mid December. I normally try to do travel much unless i am going south in the winter but we are going stir crazy at home.

We were thinking about taking I-40 out in November and possibly heading up to Colorado Springs for a few days along the way and then stopping at the Grand Canyon since we have never been. We would then take I-10 back in December to stay further south and avoid weather.

Am I crazy for trying to make this trip in Nov-Dec? Any tips from anyone who has made this trip during the winter?
Sworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #2

Your plan is OK if you keep a constant look at the weather report on I-40 in November from Albuquerque westward. That stretch can get blizzards anytime. We were in one the end of April and had to sit on the highway until plows came through. However, the West has had record heat the past months so perhaps a mild winter, also.

Definitely I-10 in December.

Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Your plan is OK if you keep a constant look at the weather report on I-40 in November from Albuquerque westward. That stretch can get blizzards anytime. We were in one the end of April and had to sit on the highway until plows came through. However, the West has had record heat the past months so perhaps a mild winter, also.

Definitely I-10 in December.

Have a good trip!
We went west on I-40 from Nashville, TN to Las Vegas, NV in late October/early November in 2017. twogypsies is right to check constantly check the weather west of Albuquerque. One thing we hit were very strong crosswinds along I-40. Secondly, you will be in high desert country all the way thru and including AZ, meaning nighttime lows can get cold. We stayed 2 nights at Grand Canyon NP and temperature got down to 28F. GCNP is at 6,000 ft. altitude. The one night we stayed at Gallup, NM, the temp was close to 32F.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #4

Thanks guys! I think we are going to go for it. The plan will be to keep a close eye on the weather and if we have any concerns just head south to I-10 and skip the Grand Canyon. Are there any routes we could do if the weather gets questionable where we could keep the Grand Canyon trip?
Sworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

If you can make it to Albuquerque and the forecast looks good just keep on I-40 for the Grand Canyon.

Otherwise, I-25 south to I-10 to New Mexico. I-10 to I-17 at Phoenix to I-40 but once you get beyond Phoenix you'll once again, need a good forecast to the Canyon. Elevation changes fast once you leave I-10 at Phoenix.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

The weather will be your navigator. November on I-40 should be good, unless............
Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just drove from San Antonio to LaGrange GA using 1-10. We will not use I- 10 for at least 5 + years until they get done with construction. It's terrible from west of Houston to Lake Charles. IMHO it is downright dangerous with heavy traffic and construction barriers flush against the lanes for scores of miles. Lots of trucks swerving around frequent lane changes for the construction. No room for any safety maneuvering and terrible with typical crosswinds. Road debris around Houston cost me a $4K windshield on the rig. Plan on spending a full day with a death grip on the steering wheel if you use I-10 along this route.

On the flip side we went out I-20 to TX and it was enjoyable (Birmingham and Shreveport excepted)
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #8

One option to avoid the conditions on I-10 in east Texas is to take US90 from Houston to Beaumont instead of I-10, it is a 4 lane divided surface highway, with narrower shoulders than I-10, but less traffic and no major construction going on. This still leaves some construction zones on I-10, but there is no easy way to avoid those.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

it's a ways north from i-40 up to colorado springs and then back to i-40. if there is weather on i-40 i'd assume even more weather up i-25 to colorado springs. plus there is lots of construction on i-25 from around colorado springs up to denver.

once you get west of flagstaff i-40 loses a lot of elevation and should be fine. just be flexible and watch the weather. are you prepared for freezing weather at the grand canyon?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote