Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Austin Texas

Has anyone drove through Austin Texas recently? Looking to travel I-35 north through the city and looking for road construction and condition. Will be passing through about 10am during the week.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Has anyone drove through Austin Texas recently? Looking to travel I-35 north through the city and looking for road construction and condition. Will be passing through about 10am during the week.
There is significant road construction around the airport exit (Hwy 71) going north & south for about 5-7 miles. This causes delays early morning and after 3. So if you’re headed thru around 10AM you should be fine. Just be careful of the cement barriers since they can squeeze you sometimes.

Hope this helps!!

Say hi as you pass New Braunfels.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drive through it every day, 10am is a good time to drive I35
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check out the advisory signs on the south end of town before the exit to Toll Road 45. It'll tell you the expected time to travel IH35 north through town vs taking the Toll Road around. During rush hour its usually quicker to go around. At other times, the straight through is quicker.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Drive through it every day, 10am is a good time to drive I35
Perfect, thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

How about the road conditions? Went through Houston, about a month ago, and the roads were amazing. Nicest roads I’ve ever been on through a city.

Can I expect the roads through Austin (I-35) to be the same?
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #6

Austin
TxDOT
map
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Perfect, thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

How about the road conditions? Went through Houston, about a month ago, and the roads were amazing. Nicest roads I’ve ever been on through a city.

Can I expect the roads through Austin (I-35) to be the same?
Have lived in Austin for 25 years, not once in that time has I35 NOT been under construction, and some would argue I35 is the worst road in the country, but bottom line, its one of the largest arteries in the country and millions of trucks drive it everyday.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #8

One vote for TX-130 toll road. Speed limits are 85 mph on the southern section and 75 mph on the northern. Little traffic except during the rush hours. If you drive at the speed limit, you will be the slowest vehicle on the tollway. Cost for RV towing is about $30. I typically save about 1 hour avoiding the I-35 mess. I live in far western Bexar County and the only time I use I-35 is between 10 pm and 5am on the weekends.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:55 AM   #9

Went through Austin southbound a few years back and it was horrible. Came back north a few days later and took the toll road, great loved it. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Any price is cheap to avoid I35 in Austin. In fact, I try to stay away from the whole corridor the metroplex to San Antonio taking one of the fine (and free) parallel routes.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Don’t know where you’re going but, we live north of San Antonio and we always try to use Hwy 281 instead of I-35. 281 runs from Mexico to Canada and is a good choice within Texas.

Tags
texas