Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

AZ Route Suggestion

From Albuquerque, NM to Apache Juntion, AZ--what is the best route to take?
I have a 33' motorhome (gas) pulling a JEEP wrangler.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #2

Depends on weather. I40 can be closed during winter storms.

Easiest, Less grades, less effected by weather. I25 to I10. 4000Ft

If you take I40 and drop down at Holbrook or Winslow you will encounter steeper grades, better scenery and will be more effected by winter weather. 7000Ft
This route is taken by many travelers with no issues.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post
Depends on weather. I40 can be closed during winter storms.

Easiest, Less grades, less effected by weather. I25 to I10. 4000Ft

If you take I40 and drop down at Holbrook or Winslow you will encounter steeper grades, better scenery and will be more effected by winter weather. 7000Ft

This route is taken by many travelers with no issues.

Always lots of semi trucks
kalinina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

I-40 west to holbrook, AZ-77 to AZ-377 to heber, AZ-260 west to payson, AZ-87 south to mesa, what ever you want east to apache junction.

an alternative would be i-40 east to winslow then AZ-87 south to mesa.

all the state routes are two lane roads except AZ-87 south from payson which is 4 lane divided highway. quite drivable. weather comes and goes on all routes in the area, including I-40 and i-17. just check.

there will be a couple of downgrades but there are similar downgrades on all routes as you have to get off the mogollon rim (7,000+ ft) down to the metro phoenix area.
bigchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

That's the reason we go to Apache Junction for the winter.
We have an 03 TJ and will be there from December to April.

If you are looking for good bad roads for your Jeep I can show you all the trails.
We will be at the Meridian RV Resort in AJ
Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post

That's the reason we go to Apache Junction for the winter.
We have an 03 TJ and will be there from December to April.

If you are looking for good bad roads for your Jeep I can show you all the trails.
We will be at the Meridian RV Resort in AJ
Harris,
On a side note, if your offer holds for others, we'd like to maybe someday in the time frame you're staying there, take you up on showing us too some of the "jeep trails" in that area. I'm always up for new scenery. We're in the Lake Havasu area and have done quite a few around here. Sorry to the OP, not intended for hijacking of the thread. Besides, it was interesting to read the responses. We've done the 40 a few times all the way from Nashville TN to our 95. Yep, like I-10, you're always in competition with a zillion truckers. Oh well, they gotta earn a living too.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #7

If coming down I-25, take Hwy 60 west to Show Low. (Fool Hollow Lake State Park will be open for a stop, if needed). From Show Low you could either take 260 west to Payson then 87 south to Apache Jct. OR.... take 60 south to Globe and on to Apache Jct. Hwy 60 has the Salt River Canyon but is very doable with a RV. It's a popular route for RVers. Just use your brakes as little as possible coming down. Get into low gear before you even begin the descent. If you take 87 from Payson you'll also have a long descent. No getting around it. Apache Jct. is low elevation and you're coming from higher elevation. You'll be just fine. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From Show Low you could either take 260 west to Payson then 87 south to Apache Jct. If you take 87 from Payson you'll also have a long descent.

Forest Lakes is the highest elevation on 260 between Show Low and Payson.

The descent on 87 S of Payson is 4 lane. This route will bring you into the 202 loop. Which goes East and South to Hwy 60 and East to AJ.

Don't even think about Hwy 88 (Apache Trail) from Roosevelt to AJ. 88 is gravel, steep and lots of curves.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

I come I-25 to I-10 several times a year. I take the New Mexico 26 road which is known as the "hatch cut off" which saves you about an hour and will put you right north of Deming and I-10. I have no problem with any of the ascents or descents since there are several of them but they are not steep. New Mexico 26 is a two-lane road well kept up, paved, almost straight. I've never had a problem on that road.
NMgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #10

AZ Route

Thank you everyone it has been a big help.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #11

Ditto what NMgypsy says; I-25, Hatch Cutoff, and I-10 is the best "winter route" from Albuquerque to Apache Junction/Mesa area. Minimal chance of winter roads and weather improves with every mile driven south. We drive that route 2 - 3 times a year in our 40' motor home and/or toad.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My suggestion since I accidently went thru Sho Low to Apache Junction in a 40' DP is DON'T DO IT !!!!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry L T View Post
My suggestion since I accidently went thru Sho Low to Apache Junction in a 40' DP is DON'T DO IT !!!!
…. and why was that? It's a very popular route for RVers. There shouldn't have been any issue with your DP.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Twogypsies, at 36 thousand pounds, and an exhaust brake, it was steep going down hill using the brakes constantly into the canyon to the river. Full throttle coming back up out of the canyon, the switch backs were close and narrow, first and only time things slid off the kitchen counters. The road was narrow east of Globe. I will never go that way again. PS it was the GPS in motor home mode that took me there from Holbrook to Apache Junction where we live.