Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

AZ to Fairfield CA Dec

We are traveling to Fairfield CA the day after Christmas and back after New Year. We are towing our 34 ft 5th wheel with Ram 3500. It will be our first trip out with this rig. We have made the trip before with just the truck going I10-210-I5. We are thinking the traffic will make this a bit nerve wracking. We will also have our 5 year old twin grandkids and want to spit the trip into two segments with an easy overnight or boondock option. Any advice is welcomed.
MarkEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEllen View Post
We are traveling to Fairfield CA the day after Christmas and back after New Year. We are towing our 34 ft 5th wheel with Ram 3500. It will be our first trip out with this rig. We have made the trip before with just the truck going I10-210-I5. We are thinking the traffic will make this a bit nerve wracking. We will also have our 5 year old twin grandkids and want to spit the trip into two segments with an easy overnight or boondock option. Any advice is welcomed.
I’ve always found 99 to be less stressful than I5. The road surface isn’t as good in some areas and of course there is construction in a few places mid way up between Bakersfield and and Hwy 12, but you get a lot less high speed traffic and there are plenty of trucks to fall in with when you get tired of driving with the cars. So that’s always my choice. If I were just driving a car or pick-up I might take I-5.

How you get to 99 depends on where in Az you’re starting from, but taking 40 to Barstow and 58 to Bakersfield avoids all the 15/215 (LA) traffic. 58 is also a pretty easy hill to climb compared to the alternatives. I wouldn’t even consider 210 to 5, unless I was passing through between 1am and 4am.

Good stops along the way:

Desert View RV resort (right next door to the KOA in Needles may be a good stopping point and it’s a very pleasing RV park. Not really a resort, but they don’t charge like one either.

The Visalia KOA is a good stop over if your day is ending near there. Nothing special but I’ve used it a few times and always had good experiences.

If you do take I-5, the Buena Vista Aquatic Rec Area (hwy 119 exit, west) is a nice county RV park, but it may be impacted by covid shut downs.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I’ve always found 99 to be less stressful than I5. The road surface isn’t as good in some areas and of course there is construction in a few places mid way up between Bakersfield and and Hwy 12, but you get a lot less high speed traffic and there are plenty of trucks to fall in with when you get tired of driving with the cars. So that’s always my choice. If I were just driving a car or pick-up I might take I-5.

How you get to 99 depends on where in Az you’re starting from, but taking 40 to Barstow and 58 to Bakersfield avoids all the 15/215 (LA) traffic. 58 is also a pretty easy hill to climb compared to the alternatives. I wouldn’t even consider 210 to 5, unless I was passing through between 1am and 4am.

Good stops along the way:

Desert View RV resort (right next door to the KOA in Needles may be a good stopping point and it’s a very pleasing RV park. Not really a resort, but they don’t charge like one either.

The Visalia KOA is a good stop over if your day is ending near there. Nothing special but I’ve used it a few times and always had good experiences.

If you do take I-5, the Buena Vista Aquatic Rec Area (hwy 119 exit, west) is a nice county RV park, but it may be impacted by covid shut downs.

This. x2
Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

We just left Vineyard RV in Vacaville (right next to Fairfield) heading home to Murrieta. First, be aware that the emperor has decreed no short term RV travels. Exceptions to this are available at Orange Grove RV’s website. Being a local for decades, you don’t look at mileage, you look at time. Also, we used to make at least 2 trips to Redding a year. I know these roads! Here’s the route I use from Murrieta. 15 to 58 (all 4 lane divided, lots of it new) over Tehachapi (easier than Grapevine) to 99 to 4 to 5 to Vineyard. Going, we stay at The Lakes in Chowchilla. Heading home, Orange Grove. Call ahead for reservations. (It’s a bit out of your way, but Pechanga RV in Temecula is very nice also.)

We did I-5 2 years ago on 12/26 using just our truck. Insane. Just finding bathrooms was nuts. In your rig, truck stops abound along the routes I just described, including a brand new Love’s in Boron. We generally top off our F350 (auxiliary tank to 70 gallons) at the Flying J in Tehachapi. Separate RV islands.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did the 58 to 99N thru Bakersfield 2 weeks ago. Both were hell in Bakersfield, but ok otherwise. That's road condition, traffic wasn't bad at all.

58 from Barstow to Bakersfield is a lot better now that it is all divided 4 lane and bypasses Kramer Jct.

Glenn
Old 12-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #6

Thank you! We are coming from Phoenix metro. We have taken 99 before and I was thinking it was probably a better option. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Thank you for the advice!
Old 12-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we leave Scottsdale to Fairfield after spring training we travel I 10 to Hwy 72 through Parker AZ then go to CA 95. Spend the night at the Needles KOA. We then take 40 to the 58 and then stay at Bakersfield RV resort. Then is about 300 miles to Fairfield. We take I5 and then Hwy 12. Been doing this for a few years.

2017 Fleetwood Discovery 37R, 2014 Honda CRV toad.
JFreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreitas View Post
When we leave Scottsdale to Fairfield after spring training we travel I 10 to Hwy 72 through Parker AZ then go to CA 95. Spend the night at the Needles KOA. We then take 40 to the 58 and then stay at Bakersfield RV resort. Then is about 300 miles to Fairfield. We take I5 and then Hwy 12. Been doing this for a few years.
Great. Thank you.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Headin to Death Valley and beyond tomorrow from Grass Valley. There really is no wrong way, weather notwithstanding.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air