Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
ajh

Badlands to Zion - for amateurs

Hi everyone,
My family and I are doing a cross country move with our travel trailer, but want to make sure we see the Badlands/Mt Rushmore and Zion/Bryce on the way. Since we're fairly new to pulling a trailer of this size (26') and have some young children - want to keep this drive as low stress as possible. Looking to hear from you experienced drivers on what the best route would be for this leg of our trip. What sections/hwys/routes should we avoid/use? We are towing with a Chevy Tahoe (w/ max trailering package).
I've read on some forums about avoiding the winds/trucks on I-80 in Wyoming, but can't find much else for driving between these two sites or good alternate routes (a lot about going to Yellowstone, but that's not on our itinerary).
Thanks in advance!

Also, our entire route is: DC-Fargo-Badlands-Zion-San Diego... in case anyone has other recommendations for the other segments of our trip. We are trying to keep the mileage under 400 mi/day but just want to get to the west as soon as possible so we can take time to explore SD and UT.
ajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Why Fargo???

But from Rushmore to Zion, stick with I-80 to I-15. You're going to deal with wind and trucks no matter what route you take.

You'll probably do the Badlands loop first and then go to Rushmore. Additional spots to hit in the area include Wall Drug, Minuteman Missile silo (right by Badlands entrance) and Crazy Horse.

After that you'll spend the 1st driving day getting onto I-80 by winding on some state highways (use Google Maps for live traffic). Plenty of places to stay in WY on 80.

In SLC, you'll transition over to I-15 which brings you into the west side of Zion which is good as you'll avoid the long tunnel. Can camp in Springdale or right inside the park at Watchman.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
ajh

Are you implying that Fargo isn't worth a stop? You're probably right... we're stopping there because we're visiting family for a few days.

Thank you for those tips! Have you used US-40 or I-70 to get to Zion via Colorado? I would think avoiding Colorado is best if worried about the drive but read some posts that recommend cutting down from Rawlins, Wyoming through Colorado (via WY-789 & CO-13) to get to either US-40 or I-70.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

There are several ways to cross the Rockies without steep ascents or descents ... I-70 is NOT one of them ... I-80 through Wyoming is much easier than I-70 ...

You state that you want to visit both Bryce and Zion ... are you aware that there is a tunnel on the road between the two parks. There are additional very impressive National Parks in the area: Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I-80 is much easier than I-70. Virtually no mountains. There are trucks on I-80 but traffic is never heavy.If you encounter winds just slow down. It's a great drive.
Ruby's Inn and RV park in Bryce is about as close as you can get to Bryce Nat'l park. Good amount of things for kids and close shopping.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

From Mt. Rushmore to Springdale, Utah (Zion) via I-80/I-15 is about 950 miles. It's around the same mileage as using I-70 but I-80 is a lot easier. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 AM   #7

I can't help you on driving info but definitely eat at Thunderbirds outside of Zion! Their fried chicken, mashed potatoes, bread, breakfast and "ho-made" pies are fantastic!
LittleEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Are you implying that Fargo isn't worth a stop? You're probably right... we're stopping there because we're visiting family for a few days.

Thank you for those tips! Have you used US-40 or I-70 to get to Zion via Colorado? I would think avoiding Colorado is best if worried about the drive but read some posts that recommend cutting down from Rawlins, Wyoming through Colorado (via WY-789 & CO-13) to get to either US-40 or I-70.
I'm confused????

What is the Mission?

What is the Time Frame?

What else would you like to SEE?

How old are the Kids?

I could spend an awful lot of time going from Rushmore/Custer - just so much to see and do before you get to Zion.

IMHO, Colorado is a SUMMER in itself.

Look over Flaming Gorge NRA and Dinosaur NM - kid friendly - and most adults like it too.

Help us out - give us some info and you will get a lot more help.

............:th umb:.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
There are several ways to cross the Rockies without steep ascents or descents ... I-70 is NOT one of them ... I-80 through Wyoming is much easier than I-70 ...

You state that you want to visit both Bryce and Zion ... are you aware that there is a tunnel on the road between the two parks. There are additional very impressive National Parks in the area: Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef
Hard to imagine someone would drive all this way and then not want to drive in the MOUNTAINS.

IMHO that is generally the Purpose of most of these trips,

Sorry I Love those Rockies,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
ajh

Hi everyone - thanks for all the replies...
To answer some of your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I'm confused????

What is the Mission?
-Technically, the mission of this trip is our cross country move - we unfortunately have to be at work by a certain date (we have 8 nts to get from Fargo to San Diego). In doing so, I want to give our kids some cool spots to run around and explore, that's why I want to see the spots at Zion and the Badlands. Will probably not hit Bryce since I recognize both Zion and Bryce should be enjoyed with plenty of time. I guess this really makes it obvious that we're amateurs at this thing - we didn't realize how much time we should be spending at some of these spots.
-Unfortunately, we don't have much time to really take in the scenery in Colorado or even some other parts of Utah. We are definitely planning a separate trip to these areas after we get settled in CA. So, we will be spending time at Zion for 2 nts, Badlands for 1 nt. We might be able to get in another night at Zion if we can make good time on the other days.
-Kids are young...will be 6 months, 3, and 5 when we do this trip at the end of May.

We are leaving Fargo early evening on a Sunday, and planning to be in the Badlands by Monday evening, and Zion by Friday. If we make good time, we'll probably do the extra time at Zion. Watchman is full so we reserved Zion River Resort.

It appears the consensus is to go I-80 through Wyoming...with winds not being too much of a concern. I just keep seeing horror photos of trailers toppled over and we're a little concerned since we're towing with our Tahoe vice something more heavy duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEagle View Post
I can't help you on driving info but definitely eat at Thunderbirds outside of Zion! Their fried chicken, mashed potatoes, bread, breakfast and "ho-made" pies are fantastic!
Thanks Little Eagle for the chow recommendation.... good food stops is next on my research list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Hard to imagine someone would drive all this way and then not want to drive in the MOUNTAINS.

I expect when we get a few more trips under our belt, tackling the mountains will be something we look forward to - at this time we're a little weary.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Appeciate the extra info and that you have a limited time frame for this trip.

So, if not this trip, be sure to take the kids on a visit to Custer State Park, SD. Amazing to drive through and see Bison herds up close...yes! They literally may put their big hairy face on your (keep closed!) car windows. Definite must see whenever you can get there Custer SP has several cgs right inside the park if that works out in your plans, too.

On THIS trip, if you take I-90 leaving the Badlands, you might be able/have time to take a short jaunt S of I-90 at Rapid City, SD and do the driving tour through "Bear Country". This would not require an overnight stop as the tour takes about 1-2 hrs, both kids and adults alike will enjoy the tour. Grizzly, Black Bears, but also the tour includes some other animal areas. Also a keep windows closed drive through, but we loved this and highly recommend

Badlands are beautiful! Glad you are planning to see them, the Hwy 240 loop is an easy drive in any RV rig.

Enjoy your trip!

Safe Travels To All
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #12

Don't know that I saw the answer here, but is the Badlands Loop State Scenic Byway ok to drive with a 43 ft Diesel pusher and tow? Thanks!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #13

With kids that young I presume you won't be doing much hiking, more ride stuff. .They would love the "begging burros" in Custer S.P,prairie dogs,bison. Mom and Dad would probably like the Needles area, Iron Mtn. road,Mt.Rushmore. No trailers in Needles or Iron Mtn. Bryce and Zion will probably be one day drive through in Bryce, , half day shuttle and half day drive in Zion . Tunnel between them no problem with 13'3" tall 5th. I would think more time in SD than Utah.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote