Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #1

Bahia Honda Trip Routing

I know is is early but I want to plan ahead. I have 2 weeks reserved at Bahia Honda State Park in the spring and I was looking at the best way to go. I will be traveling down I-95 and was wondering what to do as you approach Miami. It looks like you can go thru Miami on I-95 and eventually get on US 1 (South Dixie Hwy). I have never been to south Florida in my motorhome and we will have a toad. Is this the best route? Should I get a Sunpass for tolls? - I think I can get one at the Florida Welcome Center on I-95. Also if anyone has been to the Keys, where do you gas up? I have a gasser. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
rvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

First off, do not go on I 95 through Miami. At Fort Pierce get off and get on the Florida Turnpike. When you approach Broward County you have to make a choice. You can get on the Sawgrass expressway and avoid Fort Lauderdale traffic or you can stay on the Turnpike and when you approach Miami-Dade County you can stay on the Turnpike Extension toward Homestead. Stay on the extension until you exit at homestead. You will see a big Walmart on the right. Gas up there as gas is very expensive in the keys. There is a BJ's in back that you can gas up at but you need a BJ's card. The Turnpike ends at US 1. From there you stay on US 1 all the was to Bahia Honda. You do not want to take I95 straight to US 1 as I 95 ends on the south side of Miami and there is always rush hour traffic. You will add 2 1/2 hours to your drive by doing that. You will also get a good dose of Miami Drivers, (voted the rudest in the US 3 years in a row). You know you are getting close to South Florida when someone cuts you off after passing you on the right and giving you the finger.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #3

Sun Pass is well worth the convenience. In Dade County there are no cash lanes so you will be billed in the mail with and additional administrative fee.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Read up on Sunpass online. I have one on the coach and one on the toad. They can be purchased for $5 at most chain grocery and drug stores. Then register them online and use your credit card, they will credit you the $5 purchase price, and it will save you a LOT of hassle. No overnight parking allowed at Walmart Homestead, buy plenty of food there. The closest large groceries are Marathon(30 min) or Big Pine Key(20 min). We overnight at Miami Everglades RV Park, about 5 minutes off your route, a very pleasant place to stay.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

I think that some of this advice is on the "alarming side". As long time Florida resident with many trips to the Keys, traveling on I-95 through Miami to Homestead is no more trouble some than in any major city. The roads are good with good signage. Gassing up before the Keys is a good idea. The road south of Florida city is mostly two lanes but the traffic moves along. Bahia Honda is WONDEDFUL. Enjoy you trip. Take you time and be safe.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

yes to the turnpike we got our card on line and the moho and car work off of the one card on the moho you just have to sign it up on line with both vehicles and licensees # I am lazy and always get gas on the turnpike, we run from the top to the bottom of the pike. Just be carful of Miami like D Dave says. Been going done thru there for many years. Your going to have problems coming home because island time goes fast and your not going to be ready to go home
Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanuts View Post
yes to the turnpike we got our card on line and the moho and car work off of the one card on the moho you just have to sign it up on line with both vehicles and licensees # I am lazy and always get gas on the turnpike, we run from the top to the bottom of the pike. Just be carful of Miami like D Dave says. Been going done thru there for many years. Your going to have problems coming home because island time goes fast and your not going to be ready to go home
Sunpass told me several years ago that my toad required a second card... but I'm not sure they understand what I was talking about. The website is not clear on the second Sunpass issue, and I don't think their employees know either. I do notice looking at my usage online that sometimes both cards are scanned, and other times only the m/h card is scanned. Comments?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Sunpass told me several years ago that my toad required a second card... but I'm not sure they understand what I was talking about. The website is not clear on the second Sunpass issue, and I don't think their employees know either. I do notice looking at my usage online that sometimes both cards are scanned, and other times only the m/h card is scanned. Comments?
I just went through this process and activated my SunPass transponder on Oct 1st. I bought it at a Florida welcome center at a vending machine and activated it by Internet in the parking lot. I used it the next day. I only registered the motorhome. I'm towing a vehicle. I was concerned about the accuracy of the charges but it has worked fine. It has charged 5 axles at each toll location. It would be simple for them to have given the option of user assigning number of axles but they seem to have it covered.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in Homestead and have been here 45 years.Worked the keys for 15 of them. Exit I95 in Ft. Pierce to the turnpike there as 95 drops to 55 mph at WPB and ends up in Miami in coral gables not good, lots of lanes lots of traffic. Take turnpike to sr 869 the Sawgrass exp take it to its end at I75 north do not let the direction throw you as I75 runs east and west at that point.
exit I75 onto US27 south to sr 997 south to homestead plenty of gas available all the way down,once on 997 take it straight to the end of it as it dead ends into US1 entering the overseas hwy. You can hit Florida City Walmart by taking a left at Sw320 st in Homestead and take it till you see Home Depot turn in there it is only 1 1/2 blocks It is not hard to get to. although as said there is no camping there. The one sunpass in the MH will get it done as the toll booths pick up the extra axels as you can see on my avatar I have experience with that as well. Come on down and be warm.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Opps make that sw328 st aka Lucy st to walmart. if you stay past Home Depot you will see BJ's at that light turn right to Walmart.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Bahai Honda

I too am going to the park in April ,what are your dates? I agree ++ with the sun pass and turnpike ,its the way too go by far. We are going end of april,let me know so we can maybe collaborate
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

https://www.sunpass.com/index
go to this site
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77hmstd View Post
I live in Homestead and have been here 45 years.Worked the keys for 15 of them. Exit I95 in Ft. Pierce to the turnpike there as 95 drops to 55 mph at WPB and ends up in Miami in coral gables not good, lots of lanes lots of traffic. Take turnpike to sr 869 the Sawgrass exp take it to its end at I75 north do not let the direction throw you as I75 runs east and west at that point.
exit I75 onto US27 south to sr 997 south to homestead plenty of gas available all the way down,once on 997 take it straight to the end of it as it dead ends into US1 entering the overseas hwy. You can hit Florida City Walmart by taking a left at Sw320 st in Homestead and take it till you see Home Depot turn in there it is only 1 1/2 blocks It is not hard to get to. although as said there is no camping there. The one sunpass in the MH will get it done as the toll booths pick up the extra axels as you can see on my avatar I have experience with that as well. Come on down and be warm.
I need the Sunpass in my car as we sightsee a lot in FL. So I'm thinking I should remove the Sunpass in the coach, and when towing(or driving toad alone) I would still be charged the appropriate amount based on the axles sensed. I never drive the coach without the toad while in FL.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
All you need is 1 sunpass as you are probably being charged for both transponders for both vehicles. The sunpass gantrys will pick up the toad axels on the one sunpass. If there is an issue a picture is taken at each toll. If the sunpass fails they bill you by the plate as your sunpass is keyed to your vehicle plates.