Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Bakersfield to Sacramento I5 vs 99

Hopefully some snowbirds will respond too with current road conditions & construction.
I plan to leave this Monday 4/5/2021 to Sacto.

I came south on I5--what a fright that road is in. I thought my rig was gonna shake apart, and I've Koni FSD shocks too! Some construction south of 152 for a few miles, at least it seemed that long! I was seeing all the Amazon trucks and said to self--Wow I hope my fragile goods don't come this way! I should have paid more attention to construction on the northbound lanes--but didn't.

Thanks for any info,
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
Hopefully some snowbirds will respond too with current road conditions & construction.

I came south on I5--what a fright that road is in. I thought my rig was gonna shake apart, and I've Koni FSD shocks too! Some construction south of 152 for a few miles, at least it seemed that long! I was seeing all the Amazon trucks and said to self--Wow I hope my fragile goods don't come this way! I should have paid more attention to construction on the northbound lanes--but didn't.

Thanks for any info,
Personally, I think they are both bad.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run 99 every year. It has improved a lot over the past several years.

Give it a try and see what you think. Then get back to us with your opinion.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I prefer to take 99 up to the 4. Then west to I-5 to get by Sacramento. 5 is terrible! 99 is being patched. The worst part is north of Bakersfield until you get by Fresno. Slow down and it saves the bouncing.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I run 99 every year. It has improved a lot over the past several years.

Give it a try and see what you think. Then get back to us with your opinion.
We like the 395 and then stop in Bishop at the bakery.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post

Thanks for any info,
It’s been since last year that I did both of these roads. I think 5 is a bit smoother, but can have more coastal wind. 99 has more city traffic, but not that much more. 99 has more pot holes and patchy repairs.

Honestly, they are both OK and if there is no wind to worry about, I likely would take 99 as it is less miles directly to Sacramento from Bakersfield
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I avoid 5 but as others have said, 99 can be a chore too. I just came up it from Bakersfield to Sac a couple weeks ago. Lots of construction so I guess it’s improving, but there are areas (as mentioned above) where you really have to watch, and avoid the bigger pot holes. As it happens, I’m taking 5 next week, Sac to 58, so I’ll report on it then.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I avoid 5 but as others have said, 99 can be a chore too. I just came up it from Bakersfield to Sac a couple weeks ago. Lots of construction so I guess it’s improving, but there are areas (as mentioned above) where you really have to watch, and avoid the bigger pot holes. As it happens, I’m taking 5 next week, Sac to 58, so I’ll report on it then.

You probably know then--the SB on ramp from Rosedale Hwy to 99 closed is closed until "June 30". So is the Olive SB and the on/off ramps for Stockdale Hwy from 58. If you stopping in Bakersfield--the Roasedale Hwy east of Coffee, and perhaps much to the west, is a parking lot after 330pm. The SB on ramp from Calif Ave is open, is the ramp the detour is routed to from the Rosedale closed on ramp. About a mile on Oak street.
If your trying to get close to Costco--I suggest you travel a bit further to the I5/Stockdale exit. Once EB on Stockdale you see an entrance to the Westside Fwy. Take that to Mohawk, go N on Mohawk about a mile and turn right on Rosedale.

Since most say I5 and 99 are about the same, road quality-wise, I think I'll go 99. I'll take Fruitdale N from Rosedale to Olive and get on 99 N from the Olive interchange. Just too much jammed up traffic on Rosedale to try and drive a moho towing to the on ramp. I usually take J9 from 99 to I5, but I'll try the 4, as KCFDCapt uses. It has no stops like J9.
I'll post back after this leg.
Thanks for the help.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
I prefer to take 99 up to the 4. Then west to I-5 to get by Sacramento. 5 is terrible! 99 is being patched. The worst part is north of Bakersfield until you get by Fresno. Slow down and it saves the bouncing.
Huh, I used to go the other way. Cross over in Stockton on the 4 and take 99 into Sac. Either way it's kind of a race to the bottom, but I *really* hate 99 headed out of Bakersfield, it's torture.

165 is kinda pretty, except for the part through appropriately-named Los Banos

If time's not an issue, 49 is one of my favorite roads. Now granted, it's one of my favorite *motorcycle* roads, what's awesome on a motorcycle isn't always awesome in an RV -- I guess -- but it does give you the option to skip "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" and sneak into town on 16, which has its advantages if you're going to that side of town anyway. Stop off at Yosemite and all that. Visit Angels Camp, which is a cool frog-oriented town. There are worse things.

Been a while so can't help with current construction, wish I could. That was the drama on my "Iron Butt" motorcycle ride, having to stop every ten miles for construction while the clock was going BAM BAM BAM. I had that happen on 99 too when I first delivered my RV, by then I was fit to be tied. OMG what a nightmare. All I can say is, good luck! There are things I miss about Cali but that trip south ain't one of em.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #10

I agree with most above. Been 2 years but the 99 improvements are helping that route with much more to do. I recall the worst is around Merced.
But the very worst was not either one for snowbirds bur theading west down from Tehachapi had gotten TERRIBLE! slow lane was the worst and too much traffic in the fast lane. We are going to head down through eastern Ore. thru Reno and Thru the desert to Vegas area in a couple of weeks.....NO CALIFORNIA> The 395 is beutiful but probably snowy right now.
Happy Trails TANDD
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #11

My report---I'm the OP. I left Bakersfield around 730 today and got to Lodi Flying J about 1215. From FJ I went to Napa. In our rig--there is no question--99 is less jarring than I5 traveling the slow lane. That is not say it was smooth. I noticed when passing--the fast of middle lanes where much smoother--not torn up by the freight haulers. I did not find the Bakersfield to Fresno any worse than sections to the north---in particular when the pavement dips down to go under an overpass. LOTS of concrete chunks missing! There were at least 4 sections that are under serious reconstruction both directions. The old road bed is being torn up and replaced in numerous sections. The slight realignments are done with jersey barriers and fairly tight lanes. Only 1 stoppage in Kingsbury but that was just too many people going too fast and had to slam on brakes--ahhh the smell of 18 wheeler brakes! In those multi mile sections of course the speed limit is 55mph. Over all I prefer this route--at least the "scenery" is varied. Once this is done--it will be nice--but multi years away I think.
I also took The 4 from 99 to I5--much easier than J9 (French Camp Rd). I'll always use it in the future. Thanks for mentioning this.
Thanks for the help--and I hope this info will help the next guy
Ron
Old 04-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I just drove I-5 south from Sac to Harris Ranch (Coalingua) and it was all pretty benign. A little rough about 20-30 miles north of here. But we did the run at 55mph and what a treat! Driving slow gives plenty of time to dodge the pot holes and also take in the scenery. A much more pleasing experience than 99!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #13

I know this is a bit pedantic, but in northern CA, we don't refer to highways and interstates as "The 4" or "The 5". That's a southern CA thing. For us, it's Highway 4, I-5, etc. There is one exception, in the SF Bay area, Highway 101 is "The Bay Shore". You can always tell when a radio/TV host or reporter is a recent transplant from SoCal.

Oh, and don't call San Francisco "Frisco", it's "San Francisco" or, if you really want talk like a Bay Area local, "The City". Ironically, given that the Spanish language is so prevalent around here, Nevada is pronounced Ne-vaa-da (as in vat), not Ne-vah-dah both in CA and NV. And San, as in San Jose and San Diego is "Saan" as in sand, not "Sawn", which would be more correct.

I do apologize, but many areas of the country have their own peculiarities and I like to pronounce things like the locals do. Peabody, MA anyone?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #14

I just did 99 N and the construction is a bear. In a couple of spots in Madera they have jersey barriers turning the undivided double lane to two single lanes. You do NOT want to be in the “fast” left lane. Not only is it narrow, but if there’s an accident you are screwed. I saw this going S. Does that SUV look high up to you? It should because apparently the truck in front of it stopped short- and that SUV is sitting up on the truck’s bed. The traffic snarl on that went on forever. I snapped this as I went by in the opposite direction.Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG image-3A9DC9402C07-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	323994
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote