Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BC Hwy 99

We would like to go to Whistler BC and East on Hwy 99 to Trans Canada 1.

Is the drive suitable for a 41Ft RV and a toad.

Tks

John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacello View Post

Tks

John
Hi John,
Hwy 99 to Whistler is narrow with lots of turns but doable if you take it slow. It is well worth the trip as it is extremley beautiful driving along the coastline. Enjoy your trip, Ted and Darlene
Mission B.C.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacello View Post

Tks

John
John,

The highway to Whistler from Vancouver is an easy run. Going east of Whistler it is 2 lane most of the way. East of Pemberton you'll make a right hand turn at Mt. Currie and about 10 km on you'll come to a few switchbacks and you might wonder if its a great idea. Once you are at the top of that grade the road gets better and you will be fine.

I travel that road (Duffy Lake Road) once or twice per year on my motorcycle but being new to large motorhomes, I've not done it in my 43 ft'r yet. You'll have to take it a little slower at times but I don't believe you'll have any trouble as long as you take the right fork in the road at Lillooette. I don't recall seeing any big rigs during my rides other than some 45 ft tour busses. There are also many class C rentals.

At Lillooette you'll cross a bridge with a fork in the road on the east end. Turning left keeps you on Hwy-99, eventually T-boning Hwy-97 just north of Cache Creek. If you turn right, after Lillooett, onto Hwy-12, it intersects with Hwy-1 at Litton and then Hwy-1 will take you to Cache Creek. The stretch of Hwy-1 between Litton and Cache Creek is by far the best part of the Fraser Canyon BUT, don't take the Hwy-12 route in your motorhome. An uphill section has been reduced to a narrow one lane road due to slides and I would not want to try taking my coach through there.

Your timing is good. They just finished some heavy roadwork on the Duffy lake Road a couple of years ago and it would have been tough getting through with a big rig during the construction as they replaced most of the old wooden deck one-lane bridges with new concrete structures.

Also, be prepared for the heat around Lillooett in the summer. It is often the hottest spot in Canada occasionally topping 40 °C (104 °F).
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #4

Spectacular trip. It is a good two lane road past Pemberton albeit with a stiff climb out of Mt Currie. The bridges are being upgraded but be aware several are still one lane so watch for oncoming traffic. As Ron said, head toward Pavillion and highway 97 rather than attempting the goat trail disguised as highway 12. Cayoosh Creek camp ground at Lillooet is a nice spot beside the river.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote