Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #15

Well now, if it ain't ol' Sassy Denise !!! How you doin', girl?

We took the route down here that Jim suggested. And what the hell route was that, you may ask? Oh, alRIGHT! Lemme think a second, will ya ... ?!?! We left late out of soyoos because I had some front brake work done at the RV shop near our RV park in Osoyoos. Then ...

Hwy. 97 South down through to Ellensburg WA to pick up I-90E/I-82S to Yakima WA. We layed over in Prosser WA. (DAY 1)

I-82 South to I-84E(or is it S) to Twin Falls ID. We layed over in Eden ID about 9 mi. east of Twin Falls. (DAY 2)

U.S. 93 South to Ely NV. We layed over at the hotel on the right just as you come into Ely. (DAY 3)

U.S. 93 South through Las Vegas NV to Kingman AZ. Important - If you're going to get gas, make it as you come out the easy of Kingman because it's REALLY expensive as you come into the west side of Kingman. We would have saved $0.05 a gallon if we had known. (DAY 4)

Then, on DAY 5, we took U.S. 93 South to Phoenix and we just followed signs and GPS directions which directed us to Apache Junction. However, you're heading for Yuma or Quartzsite, right? So, you'll probably take a different route from Las Vegas. We're looking at heading to Yuma on the 15th, by the way.

Now, Lorne said it would be a flatter run going south from Osoyoos through WA and OR into CA and turning west at Los Angeles. However, that looked a fair amount longer so we followed Jim's route.

Jim had said there would be only one big hill somewhere between Yakima WA and Twin Falls ID. Well, there were actually 2 or 3 "big hills". I think it was in that section that we climbed from some 3,000 feet elevation to over 6,000 feet elevation approaching Mt. Emily. My diesel's exhaust brake (retarder) couldn't handle the down grade on the other side with the load I had without my using up some brakes. That said, the grades weren't particularly steep but they were long - no big deal going up but you'll need to downshift going down. After all, you've got that great big hunk of ship's anchor in the back. ;-)

Once you get heading south on U.S. 93, there are some hills going down into and back up out of several valleys but none that seemed particularly scary. Not steep, but a few were long.

I'm not sure if I'd use that route again though I may feel more confident once I get my rear brakes done next week.

So, where are you right about now and how has your trip been so far?

Road Ranger (Mrs. Cotton's little boy, Lenny! ;-)
Gettin' Out And About!
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #16

Well Len I'm near froze to death here ! LOL Can't wait until I head South.

I'm more confused now than ever though. I'd certainly prefer not taking a route that's gonna take me to an elevation of 6,000' and burn out my brakes coming down - to say nothing of the fact of hitting snow and ice !!

But I don't see an alternate route ?? The I-5 has lots of elevations also.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #17

Well, just make sure you don't let the important parts freeze up. Here's the route Lorne told me about and which he said has the fewest big hills. However, someone(?) told me it can be a pretty empty route in sections. As for coming down hills, you've got a gasoline engine so you can get a lot of drag by dropping into lower gears, even if you have to go into 2nd gear. I don't think any of the hills I met would cause any harm to your 34 foot motorhome, especially since you don't have near the load weight that I was handling with the 38ft motorhome, the 12 foot trailer and the Goldwing plus all the shi...cra...stuff we brought along. And you've got a newer motorhome. As for snow and ice, all I can suggest is keeping a regular eye on the local weather either by TV, radio, or via National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report . You may have to wait somewhere for a day or three to be sure you're safe but, so what, right? Also, the truckers at the truck stops would probably not mind talking to you about that since they tend to keep a real close eye on the weather for their own same kinds of reasons.

Anyway, Lorne suggested ...

Hwy 97 South to connect with Hwy 17 South at/near Bridgeport WA (before Brewster).

Hwy 17 South to Pasco WA to connect with I-82 East (or South) right through to Hermiston WA and on through to I-84 East in Oregon.

I-84 East to just past Ontario ID and Hwy 95 South. It will slip back into Oregon, through Jordan Valley OR and a left at Burns Junction staying on Hwy 95 South to McDermitt and the border with NV.

Hwy 95 South in NV to Winnemucca OR and conecting with Hwy 95/I-80 West.

Hwy 95 South/I-80 West to where Hwy 95 South in Oregon breaks off.

Hwy 95 South to Fallon, Hawthorne, Tonopah, Goldfield, Beatty, Las Vegas and on through to Bullhead City AZ, Lake Havasu City and points south.

According to Lorne, this has fewer big hills than Jim's route that I took but I wasn't overjoyed at going through Los Angeles to get to Phoenix. From looking at the map, I don't see where there are much fewer towns along Lorne's route than along Jim's route. Maybe you could poke around on the 'Net with Google Maps and check out steep elevation changes, if you want to be sure.

As for us, I'm trying to get some work done on the motorhome so I can head to Yuma on Nov. 15th or so instead of waiting for the end of Nov. I've heard about something called the Valley Virus (or something) that is strongest in the Flagstaff-Phoenix-Tucson corridor. Apache Junction is on the eastern edge in the pink zone just outside of the Phoenix red zone. Apparently not everybody contracts it but when they do, there's no cure, only a treatment of drugs to clear the lungs. It's actually a fungus that attacks the lungs and they don't know much about because it's such a localized disease phenomenon and hasn't qualified for a lot of research dollars. So, it's the Yuma area for us.

I hope this helps. Have you asked anyone else on the site by starting your own thread? Any clearer suggestions than I've been able to offer? Or have I already said too much and you were just looking for some sympathy and commiseration. ;-)

You just take care of yourself and the rest will fall into place with perhaps a few delays for the sake of safety. Keep us posted, 'kay?

Road Ranger & Geminimajic
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Road Ranger, are you still in Apache Junction? I was there yesterday looking around tryingot find a Harley Davidson Dealer, but struck out on that. I am over in Peoria and will be heading to Yuma on the morning of the 16th.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Road Ranger, are you still in Apache Junction? I was there yesterday looking around trying ot find a Harley Davidson Dealer, but struck out on that. I am over in Peoria and will be heading to Yuma on the morning of the 16th.
Yessir, Mochisme "Ted", I am still in Apache Junction (hereinafter referred to as AJ just like the locals ;-). I finally got some phone calls returned so I'm getting some tires and brakes done before leaving. As for a H-D dealer, there is Superstition Harley-Davidson, 2910 W Apache Trl Apache Junction, AZ 85120-5208 - (480) 346-0600 just up the road from here. I've driven by it a few times though with my nose in the air so they don't catch me looking interested. In checking the 'Net, I see there's Bobby's Territorial H-D, 2550 East Gila Ridge Road Yuma, AZ 85365-2201 - (928) 782-1931. Looks like I'll be heading to Yuma, or maybe Ehrinburg, in a week or less (m/c ride to Tortilla Flat on Monday; m/h brakes done on Tuesday).
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ranger View Post

Hwy 17 South to Pasco WA to connect with I-82 East (or South) right through to Hermiston WA and on through to I-84 East in Oregon.

Road Ranger & Geminimajic

FYI................Hermiston is in Oregon, not Washington. It's just a few miles south of the Columbia River.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #21

Oops ... you're right, of course. My bad.

Sincerely,

Sir Lostalot
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
CD

[QUOTE=Mochisme;985583]Well I just used Google Maps to see where the heck "Osoyoos" BC was at. Looks to me like US-97 is the route for you to take south out of BC down to I-90, then west on I-90 to junction with I-82, where you would head south again.
QUOTE]

It may have been a misprint but you go east on I90 from 97 to I82

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #23

Thanks, Cliff. I'm already in Apache Junction AZ but your note will help anyone else checking out this thred for directions. Thanks.
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Road Ranger, have had poor to sucks big time internet connections sine my last post. I hit three H-D Dealers in the Phoenix area including "Superstition", but had my mind on other things and did not even think about it while in Yuma.

Now I am in Visalia, CA headed back to WA so I can wash the hard water spots off my car and motorhome. Checked the weather report and see sunny forcast for Yuma, and gray Rain for Shoreline. I am trying to talk the DW into a quick visit with the kids and grandkids and back to Yuma for the rest of the winter as we have a free spot available to us there and the sun shine was great.