Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Which is the best/scenic way thru the Beartooth Highway? From Redlodge into Yellowstone or from Yellowstone to Redlodge? Probably will not take the Motorhome but will take the Jeep Wrangler.

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Which is the best/scenic way thru the Beartooth Highway? From Redlodge into Yellowstone or from Yellowstone to Redlodge? Probably will not take the Motorhome but will take the Jeep Wrangler.

thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

From Red Lodge to Yellowstone. For what it's worth, I've taken the 33' Suncruiser and the 40' Allegro Bus through and I'll take the 42' Bus when the time comes. If you really want to avoid the steep stuff, leave Red Lodge and head to Belfry, then come into the Beartoooths from the east via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. That way you'll split them and only have to do have (the easy half).

Leaving Red Lodge you'll eventually encounter a series of switchbacks that climb the face of the mountains. Once on top you will be driving through alpine terrain for a while until you eventually begin the downgrade to Cooke City and on into the park.

The initiwal grades leaving Red Lodge are steep and it's best to let the engine do the work. The grades down into Cooke City are more gradual so it's easier on the brakes. If you go the other direction you'll be easy on the engine near Cookle City but hard on the brakes going down to Red Lodge. It's much easier on the machine (and your nerves ) doing it the other way.

Besides, it's best to see the Beartooths first, before entering Yellowstone. The scenic effect is just that much better as the scenery builds. I find it's always better to drive a route where the scenery gets better and better after every turn instead of winding out and letting you down as you travel. It's just a psychological thing but it does have impact.

Our favorite route is to take the Beartooths in, then exit the east entrance to Cody, WY when leaving the park (be sure to look for grizzly and moose near Pahaska Teepee, just outside the east entrance). We then climb the Bighorn Mountains on US-14A, US-14, or US-16 on the way home. 14 and 14A are also the kind of roads that are best taken one way (eastbound) with a heavy vehicle for those same reasons.

If you want pictures of the Beartooths check out my pics at my RVCruzer Website. There's a section on the Beartooths in the Yellowstone picture gallery. Give yourself plenty of time. The Beartooths are awesome and some unspoiled wilderness, although more and more people are visting it. Maybe I should be quiet about it and quit telling people about this place so that it doesn't get too crowded for me.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Good Morning Mark: Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. In 2006 Ilene and I did take #296 (Chief Joseph Scenic Highway) from Cody to where it meets with #212, then on #212 towards Red lodge. I knew the road was closed and we would not be able to make it all the way to Red Lodge, but planed to loop around on #72 thru Belfry to Red Lodge and then complete the Beartooths from the north. However the first portion of the trip was so beautiful that we decided to wait and come back to enjoy the Beartooths from end to end (something to plan ahead for).

Heading into Yellowstone from Cody we stopped and camped in the Shoshone National Forest. We walked and looked all over the place hopping to get a glimpse of a grisly along the river or up on the mountain side. Saw none. Then in the morning, a grisly was right in our campsite. He minded his business, just checked a couple of other campsites out and went along his way. It was early in the year and there was only one other camper in the campground. Got some great pics and we went on our way also. Great experience.

One thing I wish I hadn't done. When entering Yellowstone I told a Ranger about the bear. He made a comment that the bear will be destroyed before nightfall. I said wait a minute, won't the bear be trapped and taken to a remote area and set free. He said not once they are spotted in a campground. I let him know that I was very unhappy about that. We were in the bears home and we should act accordingly. I have seen to many times where the stupid human gets to close, teases or challenges a wild animal and then complains if something goes wrong.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's great. One thing you may not be aware of is that you can camp at Top of the World Store in the Beartooths. It's right in the middle of the action at 10,000' altitude. Bart has a number of sites that have water and sewer quite reasonably. He has no power though because he runs the store off a small generator and has no power to spare. The water up there is the best tasting around - you won't need any water filters.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One thing I wish I hadn't done. When entering Yellowstone in I told a Ranger about the bear. He made a comment that the bear will be destroyed before nightfall. I said wait a minute, won't the bear be trapped and taken to a remote area and set free. He said not once they are spotted in a campground. I let him know that I was very unhappy about that. We were in the bears home and we should act accordingly. I have seen to many times where the stupid human gets to close, teases or challenges a wild animal and then complains if something goes wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it should've been the RANGER they did away with....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Great information from Mark about the Beartooths. Warpath and I took our families on that route last Summer and it was the highlight of our trip.

Here's a couple pictures from the Beartooths. You'll find the highway has sharp curves and switchbacks and it's a long pull, but really not that steep compared to some of the steep decents we have locally. We both took our motorhomes pulling cars and had no trouble at all.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #8

Your web site is outstanding.
Gorgeous pictures!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
From Red Lodge to Yellowstone. For what it's worth, I've taken the 33' Suncruiser and the 40' Allegro Bus through and I'll take the 42' Bus when the time comes. If you really want to avoid the steep stuff, leave Red Lodge and head to Belfry, then come into the Beartoooths from the east via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. That way you'll split them and only have to do have (the easy half).

Leaving Red Lodge you'll eventually encounter a series of switchbacks that climb the face of the mountains. Once on top you will be driving through alpine terrain for a while until you eventually begin the downgrade to Cooke City and on into the park.

The initiwal grades leaving Red Lodge are steep and it's best to let the engine do the work. The grades down into Cooke City are more gradual so it's easier on the brakes. If you go the other direction you'll be easy on the engine near Cookle City but hard on the brakes going down to Red Lodge. It's much easier on the machine (and your nerves ) doing it the other way.

Besides, it's best to see the Beartooths first, before entering Yellowstone. The scenic effect is just that much better as the scenery builds. I find it's always better to drive a route where the scenery gets better and better after every turn instead of winding out and letting you down as you travel. It's just a psychological thing but it does have impact.

Our favorite route is to take the Beartooths in, then exit the east entrance to Cody, WY when leaving the park (be sure to look for grizzly and moose near Pahaska Teepee, just outside the east entrance). We then climb the Bighorn Mountains on US-14A, US-14, or US-16 on the way home. 14 and 14A are also the kind of roads that are best taken one way (eastbound) with a heavy vehicle for those same reasons.

If you want pictures of the Beartooths check out my pics at my RVCruzer Website. There's a section on the Beartooths in the Yellowstone picture gallery. Give yourself plenty of time. The Beartooths are awesome and some unspoiled wilderness, although more and more people are visting it. Maybe I should be quiet about it and quit telling people about this place so that it doesn't get too crowded for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #9

Great pictures!
thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
Great information from Mark about the Beartooths. Warpath and I took our families on that route last Summer and it was the highlight of our trip.

Here's a couple pictures from the Beartooths. You'll find the highway has sharp curves and switchbacks and it's a long pull, but really not that steep compared to some of the steep decents we have locally. We both took our motorhomes pulling cars and had no trouble at all.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #10

You are right Logthumper. The only reason the bear was in the CG was because of ignorant campers leaving anything outside(or burning tablescraps) that smell interesting to the bear. I too feel we are visitors in their world.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #11

Check whether the road to Hellroaring Plateau is open when you are there. It was closed for quite a while, but was open a year or so ago. You can get some fabulous pictures of Beartooth's switchbacks and the entire valley from there.
Burro is offline   Reply With Quote