Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 7
Berthoud Pass

Going to Grand lake to visit Rocky Mountain National Park. RV trip Wizard has the trip routed on Colorado State Road 40 from Empire to Fraser via Berthoud Pass.

We have a 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE. I'm thinking that this road with the twists and turns and climbs may not be the best way to go.

Has anyone been on this route through the pass who could give me some comments on the twists and turns and road elevation?

Thanks,
Doug
__________________
2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Pat and Doug
Poway, CA
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 248
Not a lot of choices for routes Not sure where you are coming from but option two would be go up i70 through the tunnel get off in silverthorne and take highway 9 up to 40. Or option three head in from Estes park. Both the long way around but that will depend on where you are coming from. If you are staying in grand lake option three is of little value as trail ridge road is Not an option for you if berthoud is causing you issue

However good news is berthoud is no big thing. It is mostly 4 lane up yes there is a big hill and yes there are some turns and even a few hairpins but it is not like it was 20 years ago when it was all two lane and much narrower and a real chore during bad weather. No it is not as nice as I70 but it really is no big thing
__________________
2016 Jayco Eagle 27.5 RLTS
BarryG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 14,329
You said you'll be visiting Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park.... read the regulations for the new 'Timed Entry'.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvis...mit-system.htm

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' (highly recommended):

"The summit of Berthoud Pass is about 13 miles west of Empire, CO. The eastbound descent starts with 6 mi. of 6% grade with 20 and 25 mph hairpin turns and 30 & 35 mph curves. After passing through Berthoud Falls there are some rolling hills for 2 or 3 miles and then a 4-5% grade for about 4 miles to Empire.

The westbound descent is also about 6 mi. of 6% grade with 20 & 25 mph hairpin turns and 25-30 mph curves. The descent continues after the 6 mi. of 6% but at a lesser grade and the speed limit increases to 55 mph".

We've done it and it wasn't a biggie. It's short.

However, you'll be driving Trail Ridge Rd. to get into Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and THAT is a biggie.

"Eastbound from the High Point is about 15 miles long. The first 11 miles are 6-7% downhill with 15 & 20 mph curves. The next 3/4 mi. rolls up and down and then the grade is back down at 5-6% for 3 miles.

Westbound from High Point the first 1.5 mi are 6-7% downhill with 15 & 20 mph curves. The next 1.5 mi are 5-6% uphill with curves. From this point the next 12.5 mi. are downhill at about 6% with many curves and 15 mph hairpin turns".
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
yeloduster's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

However, you'll be driving Trail Ridge Rd. to get into Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and THAT is a biggie.
twogypsies description of the Berthoud Pass is very accurate and detailed but the statement quoted above left me a little confused.

The original poster wasn't clear on his intentions once reaching Rocky Mountain National Park. The west entrance to RMNP is just east of the town of Grand Lake on US34. No mountain passes to get to the entrance to the park. If he wishes to visit the town of Estes Park or the eastern part of RMNP he has to drive Trail Ridge Road. I visit the western part of RMNP about once a year and rarely drive over Trail Ridge Road.

I've driven Berthoud Pass many times and agree with twogypsies and the others that it isn't a big deal. Poway's 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE is a relatively light Class A with the very competent Ford V10 powering it. The motorhome can do Berthoud Pass without breathing hard even towing a car!
__________________
2003 34' Georgetown on W20 Workhorse Chassis. UltraRV power mods. Front Sumo Springs, Rear P32 Sumo Springs, UltraRV Track Bar.
1998 Jeep Toad.
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poway View Post
Going to Grand lake to visit Rocky Mountain National Park. RV trip Wizard has the trip routed on Colorado State Road 40 from Empire to Fraser via Berthoud Pass.

All of us look at this differently - IMHO Berthoud Pass is just Neat - Far from Hard - The drive is Beautiful and I take it and recommend it whenever possible - as I said I love it. You will not have an issue with it and again IMHO you will love the time and the experiences from the West side versus the Traffic Crowds and PITA of Estes. Little advise is to drive Trail Ridge Early rather than Later (thinking with reserved opening into the park it should be different than normal)

We have a 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE. I'm thinking that this road with the twists and turns and climbs may not be the best way to go.

Just MHO - You will be Happy with the route and the Drive it is just Great. The twists and turns will not even be noticed in your Coach.

Has anyone been on this route through the pass who could give me some comments on the twists and turns and road elevation?

Like I said I recommend it and Enjoy it as it is really sorta special. (JMHO)

Thanks,
Doug
Yeloduster - knows Colorado - his advise is not just Good But Excellent as to local Conditions - IMHO - Berthoud Pass is just one of the many Reasons we love Colorado - Grand Lake is Another - Much ado over nothing.

Best of Luck,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 14,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post

The original poster wasn't clear on his intentions once reaching Rocky Mountain National Park. The west entrance to RMNP is just east of the town of Grand Lake on US34. No mountain passes to get to the entrance to the park. If he wishes to visit the town of Estes Park or the eastern part of RMNP he has to drive Trail Ridge Road. I visit the western part of RMNP about once a year and rarely drive over Trail Ridge Road.
I guess my thought of visiting Rocky NP is to get into the heart of it with awesome hiking trails of all abilities and beautiful scenery. For that you need to drive beyond the park entrance gate.

OP: Are you intending to cover the whole park on a first-time visit? Or have you been there previously and just want to stay on the western side?
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 7
Thank everyone for the great responses.

I think I will use the RV Trip Wizard route and go via Berthoud Pass.

We are coming from San Diego, CA and our plan is to stay in Grand Lake area for 5 to 7 days. This is our first trip to the park. We would rent a car and then enjoy Rocky Mountain National Park and the surrounding areas.

Our intent is to stay at an RV campground and possibly Boondock for a few days.

Having said that are there any recommendations for an RV Campground or Boondocking sites.

We are making plans now for this trip which we would start in early June 2022

Thanks,
Doug
__________________
2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Pat and Doug
Poway, CA
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 14,329
For June I'd suggest staying in the Estes Park area then you wouldn't have to travel Trail Ridge Road every day to sitesee. June is still early in the season.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
yeloduster's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 987
Good Morning Doug,

For the question you didn't ask! I noticed that RV Trip Wizard has routed you over Vail Pass, the I70 Tunnels and Berthoud. That is 3 major passes right after another. In addition, east bound I70 from Vail to the turn off to take Berthoud Pass is very rough in spots and the traffic can be really heavy with lots of commercial truck traffic.

I might suggest that you leave I70 at Rifle CO and take CO13 to US40 at Craig CO to US34 to Grand Lake. Click on this MAP. This route eliminates Vail Pass, the Tunnels and Berthoud Pass. It adds Rabbit Ears and Muddy passes. These 2 passes are tamer than any of the other 3.

I've driven CO13 from Meeker to Rifle recently. It is OK. Mostly good 2 lane highway with a few spots that have road damage. All in all not to bad. I suspect that CO13 from Meeker to Craig is similar. Maybe someone can give us an update on that section of CO13.

I've stayed at Stillwater Campground near Grand Lake. Click on THIS. A nice campground. It has electric and water but no sewer hookups but does have an RV dump station. You might check it out. If you like hot spring soaking then you may want to take your swimsuits and visit HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS. There is exploring both inside and outside of RMNP that you can do in a car.

PS: Rental cars may be difficult to attain anywhere near Grand Lake Jeep rentals may be available but expensive. For this reason you may want to take twogypsies recommendation and stay near Estes Park CO. Or alternatively, bring a toad. You then have the freedom to do what you want.
__________________
2003 34' Georgetown on W20 Workhorse Chassis. UltraRV power mods. Front Sumo Springs, Rear P32 Sumo Springs, UltraRV Track Bar.
1998 Jeep Toad.
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Good Morning Doug,

For the question you didn't ask! I noticed that RV Trip Wizard has routed you over Vail Pass, the I70 Tunnels and Berthoud. That is 3 major passes right after another. In addition, east bound I70 from Vail to the turn off to take Berthoud Pass is very rough in spots and the traffic can be really heavy with lots of commercial truck traffic.

I might suggest that you leave I70 at Rifle CO and take CO13 to US40 at Craig CO to US34 to Grand Lake. Click on this MAP. This route eliminates Vail Pass, the Tunnels and Berthoud Pass. It adds Rabbit Ears and Muddy passes. These 2 passes are tamer than any of the other 3.

I've driven CO13 from Meeker to Rifle recently. It is OK. Mostly good 2 lane highway with a few spots that have road damage. All in all not to bad. I suspect that CO13 from Meeker to Craig is similar. Maybe someone can give us an update on that section of CO13.

I've stayed at Stillwater Campground near Grand Lake. Click on THIS. A nice campground. It has electric and water but no sewer hookups but does have an RV dump station. You might check it out. If you like hot spring soaking then you may want to take your swimsuits and visit HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS. There is exploring both inside and outside of RMNP that you can do in a car.

PS: Rental cars may be difficult to attain anywhere near Grand Lake Jeep rentals may be available but expensive. For this reason you may want to take twogypsies recommendation and stay near Estes Park CO. Or alternatively, bring a toad. You then have the freedom to do what you want.
If coming from the West I'd get to Silverthoren (sp) by staying on I-70 and then head up RT 9 to Kremmling then on over to Grand Lake, then if I remember you will only have Vail Pass to deal with - which until I started Reading all the pass Posts never really thought about - Simple Short and easy.

Just another Option,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-Pass Xtra & EZ Pass Mounting Jabber Jaw Newmar Owner's Forum 28 12-27-2019 01:11 PM
EZ-Pass, NC-Quick Pass, GA-Peach Pass, FL-SunPass and TX-TXTag nudist Navigation, Routes & Roads 67 08-29-2019 07:01 AM
Berthoud Pass homeless Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 11-09-2017 09:16 PM
Grants Pass KOA in Grants Pass, OR cimolifam Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 1 06-13-2016 07:17 PM
Jacksonville, to by-pass or not to by-pass SteadyEddy Navigation, Routes & Roads 28 10-06-2014 07:07 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.