Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #1

Best roads for a big rig

Hi fellow travellers! I'm planning a trip from CA to Dallas in July and I would like to know if the road from Santa Rosa, NM thru Lubbock to Dallas is better than I-40 to Amarillo then 287 SE to Dallas?
2005 Holiday Rambler Navigator 43PBQ
Thank you!
donbouvHRNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:35 AM   #2

287 is a pretty road as I recall (been a while) but as of about six months ago the 40 was in terrible shape in eastern NM, closer to the state line, the worse it gets. Pothole city. I kinda like that run from Santa Rosa to Clovis. Fort Sumner was a dark point in our history but it's interesting. Coming down off the llano near Post it's real pretty. Made that run several times by motorcycle and car, once by RV. That's what I would do. Among other things, come this far you don't want to miss Muleshoe of course.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

We drove 40 from Albuquerque, through Amarillo and 287 to Fort Worth...... then 183 to Dallas last November and found the roads very easy to drive.

As far as the comments about pot holes on I-40 in eastern New Mexico...... I can't recall any. We will be driving the same route this November.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The road from Santa Rosa to Lubbock is mostly two lane. I40 to 287 will be four lane all the way and will make better time. You have a few small towns to go through on 287 but it's good road then take Hwy 114 at Rhome to Dallas
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #5

In July you'll want to stay as far north as you can, it will be hot.

40/287 will be much simpler as it all is divided hwy and fewer stops. Be aware of construction in AMA.

Santa Rosa to LBB then down to 20 is a good road but a good bit of it is 2 lane. It might be more interesting but definitely slower.

One thing to consider is where in DFW are you going? If you are going to N Dallas take 287, if S Dallas take 20.