Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Best route and campgrounds going eastbound from Spokane via Yellowstone

We will be traveling from Spokane Washington to LaGrange, KY in our new Arctic Fox 27-5l mid-August. We are moving to Kentucky and have about a week for us and our friends (driving a 16ft rental truck) to arrive to our destination. We want to visit Yellowstone NP on our way, and we need to make a stop in Casper, WY. Any route and campground suggestions would be appreciated. Since we are on a quite limited budget, we hope to use national parks, national forests, and state parks where we may use our America the Beautiful senior discount card.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions—I know I’m asking a lot!
aka.Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 04:34 AM   #2

Highway 12 from Lewiston to Lolo is fantastic. To be clear, I did it on my motorcycle so take this with a grain of salt, my recollection is, it's a long climb going west to east but not a particularly technical pass. Should have an easier time of it than Lewis and Clark did, in any event. Wound up staying in Butte which is a fun town.

It's *really* hard to find a place to camp anywhere near Yellowstone right this minute. If you want to do the west gate, 191 out of Bozeman is really pretty, haven't done it in the rig but it runs down the valley so shouldn't be bad. If you don't mind dry camping, call Valley View, they should be able to hook you up for cheap. That's what I'm doing, in fact we may be there at the same time. Don't count on finding national forest camp sites anywhere near there. I'd spring the 35 bucks to stay at Valley View and hit the west gate before 6am, blow through the gate for free, avoid the traffic, get a parking place at old faithful and do the tourist thing...

Are you gonna loop through Colorado out of Casper? Gorgeous country.

60 is a nice ride through MO, drops you off in Paducah
Old 07-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #3

I took a bit of this route in reverse recently, heading from Spokane - via yellowstone\grand teton, passing south through casper here are some highlights..

a bit north of Missoula but right on your route. Free camping https://www.campendium.com/big-pine

Drive through yellowstone and find free camping near Jackson Wy. (south of Yellowstone)

I recently stayed a few days at https://www.campendium.com/green-river-lakes-dispersed Very hard road but worth it if you can stay for a few days.

Atlantic City Wy. https://www.campendium.com/atlantic-city-campground $3 (almost free)
If staying at Atlantic City, be sure to check out Louis Lake Road loop from Atlantic City north to Lander Wy. The Louis Lake campground looks good (though did not have rig there) , and the beach on the north side of Louis Lake is an amazing beach with great swimming. The north end of the louis lake loop coming down the switch backs above Sinks Canyon is stunning, like driving in the alps. I didn't have my trailer and Im glad I did not.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #4

90 east to three forks 287 to west yellowstone.with all the fires i would keep an eye out for road closures
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, route, yellowstone