Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #1

Best route around Atlanta

Is there a way to avoid going through Atlanta with a big rig? What is the best way through/around Atlanta?
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup,
I-285 on the west side is your best bet, if going north =south or vice a versa.
East side is a long drive.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #3

We always go through downtown during the off time traffic hours. The interstate going around seems, to me, to always be backed up, rough riding and so much longer.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #4

We're 31 ft and towing a cart. We go straight through on I-20. We try to avoid rush hour.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane View Post
Is there a way to avoid going through Atlanta with a big rig? What is the best way through/around Atlanta?
Where are you coming from and going to?

"Around Atlanta" is sort of vague. Sure, there is a beltway. It's every bit as wide and busy as the interstate straight through.

To me "around" means at least 60 miles from the center of Atlanta. Everything else closer is just as busy as driving right through it.

Not sure what having a big rig has to do with it. It is no easier in a small rig or tow behind.

I see you are new to the site. You could do some search as this topic has been beat to death over the years. But we'll still try to help out. Welcome aboard.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #6

Ditto Bigd9 if going north south through the city. Saturday and Sunday mornings are the best time. Stay off 285. Roads are terrible and tons of trucks.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:13 PM   #7

Around Atlanta for me means US-27 on the west side or US-23/441 on the east. I will not again subject myself, my crew or my MH to Atlanta.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
Where are you coming from and going to?

"Around Atlanta" is sort of vague. Sure, there is a beltway. It's every bit as wide and busy as the interstate straight through.

To me "around" means at least 60 miles from the center of Atlanta. Everything else closer is just as busy as driving right through it.

Not sure what having a big rig has to do with it. It is no easier in a small rig or tow behind.

I see you are new to the site. You could do some search as this topic has been beat to death over the years. But we'll still try to help out. Welcome aboard.
I should have been more specific. We will be heading north on 75. Thanks
Old 07-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #9

We are heading north on 75. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane View Post
We are heading north on 75. Thanks for the input.
Not knowing where you are going I'll assume you don't want to bypass Atlanta entirely. So just look at Google Maps or Waze when you are south of Atlanta and take the interstate road that is has less red in and around ATL.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure of where you are on 75 northbound, but if not too late exit at Valdosta and take 133 to Albany, take bypass around Albany (initially connects at US 19 but follow all the way around) onto GA 520, follow to Ft Benning, there enter northbound onto I-185, exit left at the split to I-85 for about 1 mile towards LaGrange, take exit 18 onto GA 109 turn right, follow GA 109 to US 27 (3 miles) turn right onto US 27 north and follow all the way to Rome, turn right onto GA 53 and proceed to Calhoun and back northbound on I-75. No traffic to battle, pass through a few small towns with a few stop lights, virtually all 4 lane, speeds 55-65, very relaxing drive with plenty of places to stop, fuel, rest etc. About 30-45 minutes longer. But time wise can be shorter if you hit the typical Atlanta parking lot traffic jam. Not enough traffic on this route to play bumper car as is typically done on the Atlanta interstates.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #12

Through Memphis!
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #13

Go up US-27 to Rome to Calhoun back to I-75. And a bit farther north take the Dalton Bypass to get around Chattanooga unless you want to go there.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Not sure of where you are on 75 northbound, but if not too late exit at Valdosta and take 133 to Albany, take bypass around Albany (initially connects at US 19 but follow all the way around) onto GA 520, follow to Ft Benning, there enter northbound onto I-185, exit left at the split to I-85 for about 1 mile towards LaGrange, take exit 18 onto GA 109 turn right, follow GA 109 to US 27 (3 miles) turn right onto US 27 north and follow all the way to Rome, turn right onto GA 53 and proceed to Calhoun and back northbound on I-75. No traffic to battle, pass through a few small towns with a few stop lights, virtually all 4 lane, speeds 55-65, very relaxing drive with plenty of places to stop, fuel, rest etc. About 30-45 minutes longer. But time wise can be shorter if you hit the typical Atlanta parking lot traffic jam. Not enough traffic on this route to play bumper car as is typically done on the Atlanta interstates.
Looks interesting. Any recommendations for parks/resorts to stay at along the trip that can accomodate a big rig? Are there any tricky points along the way?

Tags
route