Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Best Route Atlanta to Texas A&M

I'm taking my pup for surgery at Texas A&M. At this point I'm not planning to take my trailer. I'm not even sure when all arrangements can be made, but it will be sometime within the next two weeks if all goes smoothly. The University says to take I10. (see below) My GPS say I20.
862 Miles 12:27 hours

It seems like a no brainer, but is one drive easier than another? I have only driven through the panhandle of Texas so I have no idea about traffic to avoid, etc. Since there is so little difference in mileage, I'd just as soon take I10, but have heard bad things about the road. I thought I would drive about 8 hours the first day but haven't figured out where that will take me, yet. Thanks for any advice or suggestions, in advance.

903 mi - about 14 hours 45 mins1.Head northwest0.3 mi2.Keep right at the fork, follow signs for US-23/Buford Hwy/Doraville0.5 mi3.Turn left at US-23 S486 ft4.Turn left to merge onto I-85 S12.2 mi5.Merge onto I-75 S7.2 mi6.Continue onto I-85 S (signs for Atl Airport/Montgomery)Entering Alabama157 mi7.Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-65 Sand merge onto I-65 S172 mi8.Merge onto I-10 WPassing through MississippiEntering Louisiana102 mi9.Slight right at I-12 W (signs for I-59 N/Hattiesburg/Hammond/Baton Rouge)86.1 mi10.Merge onto I-10 WEntering Texas264 mi11.Take exit 775A for I-610 N0.7 mi12.Merge onto I-610 W12.3 mi13.Take exit 13B for US-290 W toward Austin0.2 mi14.Merge onto US-29043.8 mi15.Exit onto TX-6 N toward College Station/Bryan22.8 mi16.Continue onto TX-6S BUS N9.2 mi17.Continue onto TX-6 N7.2 mi18.Take the Texas 6 Business exit on the lefttoward College Station0.4 mi19.Merge onto S Texas Ave3.4 mi20.Turn left at Farm to Market Rd 60/University DrDestination will be on the right1.5 mi408 Raymond Stotzer Pkwy, College Station, TX 77845, USA
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Personally, I'd rather drive I-10 than catch I-35 in Dallas down to Waco where you would catch TX6 to College Station. I-35 is notorious for shutting down for hours due to traffic accidents, and the traffic on I-35 is HEAVY.

An aside - you're bringing your pup to the best, as far as I'm concerned. One of our Shelties was born with a hole in her heart that was not accurately diagnosed until she was 2 years old. The vets at Texas A&M took care of the problem! They can't save them all (we lost another Sheltie to kidney failure despite their efforts), but they save many.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Personally, I'd rather drive I-10 than catch I-35 in Dallas down to Waco where you would catch TX6 to College Station. I-35 is notorious for shutting down for hours due to traffic accidents, and the traffic on I-35 is HEAVY.
This is good info, Rusty. I know nothing of the drive so I would have had no idea about I-35. Thank you.

Quote:
An aside - you're bringing your pup to the best, as far as I'm concerned. One of our Shelties was born with a hole in her heart that was not accurately diagnosed until she was 2 years old. The vets at Texas A&M took care of the problem! They can't save them all (we lost another Sheltie to kidney failure despite their efforts), but they save many.
You have no idea how much this means to me. I'm so glad your Shelty is okay. They were giving the surgery only a 40-60% high estimate of success anywhere, here. The surgeon at A&M only does this kind of surgery and has 100% success rate according to a recent study. I can't ask more than that. Intense surgery, long recovery. I'll know more in the coming week. Again, thank you for posting this.

Rusty[/QUOTE]
Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, Did you mean I-20?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Rusty, Did you mean I-20?

Ken
The OP would take I-20 to Dallas, then southbound I-35E to Waco, then TX6 to College Station. I-20 through (south of) Dallas is probably no better or worse than I-10 through Houston, but I-35 is the deal buster for me. JM2CW.

Rusty
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
He would take I-20 to Dallas, then I-35S to Waco, then TX6 to College Station. I-20 through (around) Dallas is probably no better or worse than I-10 through Houston, but I-35 is the deal buster for me. JM2CW.

Rusty
Ken and Rusty, thank you for the clarification. "She" really appreciates it.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
Ken and Rusty, thank you for the clarification. "She" really appreciates it.
I thought after I posted that might have been the case. That's why I edited my post #5 (see above).

Rusty
Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I thought after I posted that might have been the case. That's why I edited my post #5 (see above).

Rusty
Oh, no reason to be sorry, Rusty. It's just that I'd hate for anyone to think that my husband would have asked some of the dumb questions that I ask! He could plan routes blindfolded, but I'm afraid it never rubbed off on me! Again, thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't help you with directions but if you happen in the Red Lobster in College station and Cathy Pitts is still the tourier cook... Tell her John from Detoit, also known as "Dispatcher" or Dispatch29, says HI (If she does not remember me mention Fido.net and "the cooks buns"
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #10

My tripmaker software says I-20 to Dallas (825 miles), then I-45 (NOT I-35) south to Madisonville (135 miles), then TX 190 to College Station (42 miles). Says 1002 miles from Buford, Ga.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Can't help you with directions but if you happen in the Red Lobster in College station and Cathy Pitts is still the tourier cook... Tell her John from Detoit, also known as "Dispatcher" or Dispatch29, says HI (If she does not remember me mention Fido.net and "the cooks buns"
I'll do it, Dispatcher!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastplace View Post
My tripmaker software says I-20 to Dallas (825 miles), then I-45 south to Madisonville (135 miles), then TX 190 to College Station (42 miles). Says 1002 miles from Buford, Ga.
If the OP is going to use I-20 and wants to take the back roads, here's what Mapquest is recommending. 861.50 miles Atlanta to College Station.

Lotsa choices.....

Rusty
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If the OP is going to use I-20 and wants to take the back roads, here's what Mapquest is recommending. 861.50 miles Atlanta to College Station.

Lotsa choices.....

Rusty
I would have to agree with MapQuest. You would bypass Dallas and Houston. Most of the back roads in Texas are pretty good and wide, and the towns aren't that close together creating stop and go traffic.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #14

I live in Dallas area...just got back from New Orleans, I-10 will shake your brains out. I-20 is the way to come into Dallas around the south side (less traffic) then south on I-35. 35 will be solid traffic but it moves well if no accidents. Only thing about I-35 South, avoid Austin at rush hour time.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote