RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Best route for Southern Utah

Looking for the easiest/safest route for the NPs in Southern Utah. We are pulling a 34' fifth wheel. Any suggestions or corrections greatly appreciated!

- From NC, I-40W into Gallup then 191/163 up to Monument Valley - Gouldings Campground

- Backtrack to 160W then 98 up to Page

– Page – *Wahweep Campground
89S to Bitter Springs to 89A into Jacob Lake

– Grand Canyon N Rim – *Kaibab Campground
89A to Fredonia to 389/59 to Hurricane to 17N to 9 into Virgin

- Hurricane/Zion NP – *Zion River Resort
Backtrack on 9/17 to I-15N to 20W to 89S to 12E into Escalante

- Escalante – *Escalante Cabins & RV Park
12E into Torrey

- Capital Reef NP – *Wonderland RV Park in Torrey
24E to I-70 to 191S into Moab

- Moab (Canyonlands/Arches) - *OK RV Park
191S to 163S into Mexico Hat

– Mexico Hat - Gouldings Campground
163S to 160 to 89S, I-17 South, to exit #298/Hwy 179 into Sedona

- Sedona – *Rancho Sedona RV Park

After our overnight in Gallup, we have 27 days to do the loop. Then into Sedona for 10 nights.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Your route looks good. It appears you have routed yourself around the tunnel in Zion. We have stayed at Waheep in Page, Kaibab at Jacobs Lake and Ok in Moab. All of those are good places to stay. Kaibab is pretty forested and some of the sites are unlevel but it's about the only place close to the north rim. The rim drive on 12 into Escalante is pretty winding and rides the ridge in places and is a spectacular drive.

If you can fit it in, I would suggest a stop at Ruby's Inn and Campground next to Bryce Canyon. That's a must see that I think is one of the most beautiful places we've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bryce-1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	293295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bryce-2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	293296  

'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post

If you can fit it in, I would suggest a stop at Ruby's Inn and Campground next to Bryce Canyon. That's a must see that I think is one of the most beautiful places we've seen.
We have reservations at Zion for 5 nights (our longest stay). I might try to change that to 4 nights and 1 at Ruby's. Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
Commercial Member

any route thats passable in utah is a spectacular drive. there aren't many roads that dont have beautiful views.
i dont think you will be going thru, but if you are, do yourself a favor, avoid beaver utah, except to get fuel at the flying j.
there are a lot of scam artist that hang around the gas stations that try to sell you repairs on your vehicle, cars included. they specialize in over priced shocks and tires.
i use the flying j, and they are there also.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

do you want to end at rancho sedona? seems to me that you will be doing a lot of backtracking from moab to get back to sedona. could perhaps arrive on i-70 and start at moab, do the utah parks, come down to page and then end at sedona and go home on i40

just wondering
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
do you want to end at rancho sedona? seems to me that you will be doing a lot of backtracking from moab to get back to sedona. could perhaps arrive on i-70 and start at moab, do the utah parks, come down to page and then end at sedona and go home on i40

just wondering
Yes, our reservation in Sedona begin 10-25. If we did Utah in the opposite direction, I think the North Rim would be closed by the time we got there.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Yes, our reservation in Sedona begin 10-25. If we did Utah in the opposite direction, I think the North Rim would be closed by the time we got there.
Only note is when this will happen (Dates? did I miss them) - Zion is a Zoo unless it is Winter - North rim roads stay open, just they are not Plowed once the snow starts - we have been a couple times after Thanksgiving, with the road still open and very limited crowds (max 20 other people). We've also been in June with the Snow - - so .........

Like the Plan - especially if it is late in the Season (Late Fall - Winter) - Biggest issue is RV'ing is apparently the Solution for Vacations - more New Small trailer than Ever this year, and the CG's are Full in all the popular easy Locations.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #8

Your trip sounds good.

We love staying at DeMotte national forest campground just outside the North Rim gate.... the aspens are lovely in Fall.

I'd take off at least 2 days from Zion and stay at Ruby's at Bryce. The hiking is better along with the temperature and people. Nice siteseeing in the area of Bryce.... Kodachrome St. Park, Red Canyon trails. Calf Creek

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, utah