Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

Best route from Amarillo to Tucson

I am a newbie with a 43' motorhome towing. This late Nov. I am headed for a park just north of Tucson and trying to avoid steep inclines and curvy mountain roads. Of course I want to stay on 4 lane where possible and avoid cities and congestion. I'm headed south from Iowa and all looks easy as far as Amarillo and then it look like I have some choices. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
stargazer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #2

I-40 to Albuquerque, south on I-25, west on I-10 at Las Cruces, NM
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

If taking that route, get off at Hatch and take 26 to Deming.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #4

If you go south first you can hit Carlsbad Caverns on the way, maybe Roswell too, then over to White Sands NP.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I run that route every year.

Best route, easiest, shortest, best road, not much beat up interstate.
I40 from Amarillo to Santa Rosa NM US 54 south out of Santa Rosa to Vaughn. US 60 West to I25 south. I25 south to Hatch NM26 south to Deming. then I10 to
Tucson.

Don't know where you are going in Tucson but it is really 2 different worlds. I 10 takes you around out to Picture Rocks area, I 19 south takes you down to Green Valley Area

Don't know how far you want to travel each day, but there are 2 parks in Vaughn, call ahead on both due to construction workers taking up most of the spaces

Great NM State park in Elephant Butte NM, again, NM state parks are reservation only now.

If your looking for short days. There are several small parks around Vaughn It's just a little over 200 miles

It's another 200 <> miles to T&C or Elephant Butte but there are several nice state parks.

From T&C down through Hatch to Deming, If you want to stop and rest up there is a great park in Bowie AZ for $20 a night. Best beef jerky I ever had.

Then your only 90-120 miles from Tucson depending on what part you are going to.

Personally, I don't like interstates. Everybody is going some where in a hurry. Usually come south on 54 through Kansas, but if I happen to go through Amarillo for some reason I just take 60 all the way, through Clovis, Vaughn and out to 25 south.

All those road are good, well traveled but not busy, plenty of small towns and even truckstops, though not big names.

Of your just trying to get there, take the first route, if your vacationing to see stuff follow the second.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer1 View Post
I am a newbie with a 43' motorhome towing. This late Nov. I am headed for a park just north of Tucson and trying to avoid steep inclines and curvy mountain roads. Of course I want to stay on 4 lane where possible and avoid cities and congestion. I'm headed south from Iowa and all looks easy as far as Amarillo and then it look like I have some choices. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
You should PM me. There are a lot better ways to go south out of Iowa than down through Amarillo. I make that run every year out of Minnesota headed to Nogales where I go into Mexico. You are going way out of your way and getting into heavy traffic, bad interstates and big towns.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I-40 to Albuquerque, south on I-25, west on I-10 at Las Cruces, NM
Lots of mountains, lots of bad interstates and LOTS of traffic.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #8

My atlas shows 54 and most of 60 to be two lane roads in New Mexico. Is that the case? I will be leaving from SE corner of Iowa down to 36 across Missouri to catch 35 S thru KC and Wichita to OC and take 40 West till I turn south again. My destination is Picacho AZ about 50 miles north of Tucson on 10. I am open to better suggestions based on your experience and will very much appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:46 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
60 is 2 lane, and mostly posted 55. Not much on those roads, and only a couple gas stops between ft. Sumner and Interstate 25.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Mountains????
Old 07-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
HUUU
Old 07-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #12

I am assuming from the two most recent comments that they don't agree with the statement about lots of mountains, bad in interstate,and lots of traffic? I wonder if they might elaborate on that because I've never been there, that's why I asked. Please. Thank you, because so far the conflicting answers leave me more confused than before I asked.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
The only mountains you will see are going into Albuquerque, if in fact, you go into Alb. They really aren't mountains tho, just high hills and the trip isn't that bad. Traffic, depending on when you go into Alb, is either moderate or mildly heavy. Once on 25 south, you quickly get out of the traffic, and the drive is pretty nice all the way down to Las Cruces.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer1 View Post
I am assuming from the two most recent comments that they don't agree with the statement about lots of mountains, bad in interstate,and lots of traffic? I wonder if they might elaborate on that because I've never been there, that's why I asked. Please. Thank you, because so far the conflicting answers leave me more confused than before I asked.
No mountains. Good route!! Really......

Tags
route