Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi JMonroe,
Mostly me being comfortable. I am fine with mountains except when there is a lot of winding narrow roads with no guard rails (which are probably worthless but makes you feel better) and you can see the bottom. Especially when many fine people don’t cut you a break on the roads these days. Do fine in a car, but I will try to avoid if possible.
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashell View Post
We don't know about the roads between I-16 and I-85 but from Montgomery you can take I-65 North until you connect to the Natcher Pkwy at Bowling Green, KY.

Follow until the end of the Pkwy and then take U.S. 231 which you can follow all the way to a few miles from Bloomfield, IN (where we live) then hop onto I-69 and enter Bloomington from the South side. (Likewise, you can catch I-69 outside of Nashville or from Evansville).

No mountains and it is very easy to drive. This is also part of the route the tour bus uses to get to Disney World from the Bloomington area.

Not sure which side of Bloomington you want and that may also affect how you enter. There is major construction on Hwy 37 on both sides of Bloomington but especially on 37N.

Hope this helps.
Agreed on this route. We live just NW of Bloomington and seek the less mountainous route south to Florida and avoid the madness of I75 for as long as possible. If you are traveling north on I65, you can take I24 west out of Nashville to I69 north. This will bring you into Bloomington and turn into hwy 37 north. They are still working to connect I69 through this arrea to the section north of Indy. Safe travels.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #17

I mostly agree with my fellow Hoosiers except from Nashville on I24 get off on the Pennyrile to Hopkinsville which joins I69. Stay on it all the way to Bloomington. Have to pass thru Henderson which has five stop lights but just time them. Good rest stop because there are none on I69. Stay in right lane from Henderson as bridge construction is on going over the Ohio and stay right to pick up 69 around Evansville once over the bridge. Bridge joints are horrible on 69. Pennyrile not too bad and not a lot of traffic once clear of cities. Did this 2 weeks ago. Did the 231 yesterday. Good route but road construction in Huntingburg and dang ruff road thru there and Jasper to Loogootee. My suggestion avoids I65 truck traffic once off I24 and small towns once pass Henderson plus avoids Louisville. There in no "good" route to Bloomington from Louisville in a motorhome. That's why I did 231 yesterday.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Right, I forgot about the section on the Penneyrile Parkway. Glad you mentioned that.😎
Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just an FYI. I decided to take rte 40 into Tennessee and it wasn’t bad at all. Just slow down for some curves but otherwise I would do it again without hesitation.
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #20

US 80 from Statesboro to Montgomery will get you past the Apalachians. If you don't mind interstates then head up I-65. I understand that I-65 at Birmingham and Nashville is pretty bad but I don't go that way so don't know.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #21

The only way you're going to be comfortable driving in mountain areas is to do it - don't try to avoid them. Your motorhome is fully capable of driving them. Have you ever been West? We both thoroughly enjoyed driving the two-lane scenic mountain roads. That's where the beauty is!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #22

I'll agree with twogypsies. Go slow and then go slower. If you're uncomfortable at 20mph then go slower. If anyone doesn't like they can go around
Old 05-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkscp View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone know the best way to travel with a 38 ft. Class A motorhome with toad from Hilton Head SC to Bloomington Indiana? The catch is I want to avoid high mountains and Atlanta Ga. I see there is a rout which takes 26 and then 40, but I don’t know if they go thru the mountains or over them?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
CP
I don't get it - The Mountains (or Hills in the East) are where the fun/beauty is, If I were you I'd go out of my way to get into those spots, Not Avoid them.

Sorry, not much help, JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just my opinion

Former Hoosier now living in Tennessee. Having gone to to Florida thru Atlanta two years in a row I will say this. If you go thru mid-morning or early afternoon, the traffic is not all as bad as I expected. During rush (more like crawl) hours, in the late afternoon is another story. There is a I-285 bypass, but have not ever been on it. From there take I-75 to Chattanooga and take I-24 thru Nashville (Avoid rush hour at all costs. Worse than Atlanta) to I-169 for Hopkinsville, KY then it runs into I-69 (Pennyrile Pkwy). You can cross the Ohio River into Evansville (US41) and soon after the bridge are signs for I-69 North. That will take you to just outside of Bloomington. (there is construction on US41 at Henderson/Evansville) An alternative would be to take the Audubon Pkwy. to Owensboro, KY, US60 bypass the US231 into Indiana. The bridge over the Ohio is relatively new cable-stay bridge. US 231 wanders thru all the little towns in southern Indiana eventually meeting up with I-69 just southwest of Bloomington. i would check this route for low clearances before driving it with an RV.

The only mountain pass along I-24 is at Monteagle Pass west of Chattanooga. In my opinion, it is not as steep as East Tennessee/West North Carolina on I-40. Just don't be in a hurry and observe the posted speed and mind the truck lanes.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #25

Watch this video:

https://wheelingit.us/2016/04/20/cro...fort-bragg-ca/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote