Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
The only change I would make is to get off off I84 in Hartford and get onto I91 south. Follow I91 and get off onto I691. Take I691 to and get back on I84. Traveling through Hartford is never fun, especially during rush hour traffic.

Also, your rig will not fit into Acadia NP. If they are still open, there are several campgrounds on the north end of the island. If it is still running, there is a free LL Bean shuttle bus from most CGs. It will take you all the way to downtown Bar Harbor and down further to Acadia. Bar Harbor has narrow roads and isn't kind to trucks, especially the DRW kind!

There's a nice year round CG in Freedom, NH called Danforth Bay CG. Freedom is about half way up the state on the Maine border. You can travel west from Portland, ME to get to it. The CG will easily accommodate your rig.

During New England foliage season, you need to make reservations now (or even a year ago) to ensure a campsite.
Rockwood,
going thru Hartford on I-84 takes all of 15 minutes tops and stay in center lane and it's over
Go down I-91 off 84 in Hartford can be all of a 1/2 hour or more...the traffic is worst from Hartford on 91 to Rocky Hill....traffic getting on is twice what 84 is...Believe me ,I worked there for 12 years and drove past Waterbury to get home....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Not really. Mostly because you need to go to Foxboro and it's late in the season.

The alternatives I have been over are north across Rt 2 in Me, NH & VT into NY or 90 to Albany and down 88 into the Finger Lakes. Out of your way and probably too late in the season for you. A lot of interesting things along both routes depending where one is and what one wants.
nothermark: Actually we'll be coming into New England from the West so ahead of our southbound route towards Philly, we plan to take I-80 east from the Pittsburgh area to US 209 to I-84 thru Albany to reach our first campground in Randolph, VT.

From Randolph we're planning to take US 2 east over to Rt 29 & Rt 27 down to BoothBay.

Any suggestions in that area? Thank you!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #31

It sort of depends what you like and how big a hurry you are in. There have been a lot of changes over the 40 years we have criss crossed VT. Most for the worse. You will be blowing past Bennington, VT with some interesting history and places to visit but that is too tight to stop in with anything other than a towed. If you are doing 2 nights in Randolph.

The Granite quarry is interesting:

Rock of Ages - Granite Quarry Tours - School, Group Narrated Tours

Then there is the Ben & Jerry's factory:

Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour and Ice Cream Shop in Vermont

There nearby suggestions:

10 Things to Do Near the Ben & Jerry's Vermont Factory | Ben & Jerry’s

I'd plan an overnight around Gorham, NH and run down the valley to North Conway. Old tourist centric area if you are into the outdoors or shopping. For many years N Conway had the only LL Bean outlet.

I have been over 2 east of there but not with time to poke. If you are a Maine humor fan you will recognize a lot of names along the way. The next time I go that way I want 3 days so I can stop at some of the small museums. Once you get to the Maine coast it is strung with places dating back to the Pilgrims. Folks that just run I-95 miss all that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:42 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
nothermark: Actually we'll be coming into New England from the West so ahead of our southbound route towards Philly, we plan to take I-80 east from the Pittsburgh area to US 209 to I-84 thru Albany to reach our first campground in Randolph, VT.

From Randolph we're planning to take US 2 east over to Rt 29 & Rt 27 down to BoothBay.

Any suggestions in that area? Thank you!
While in Boothbay take the whale boat tour. We were there last July and they work hard to be sure you have a good time on the boat but they educate you not only about whales, but the balance of nature in the area. My desktop background is a picture I took of the Lighthouse at the entrance to Boothbay Harbor. I think we saw 10 or more different whales in our 3 hour tour. I would go again.
We stayed at Shore Hills RV Park near Boothbay. It is a nice park, but we spent all of our time out and about. Other than to walk the dog I didn't explore the park much.
Stockbridge, MA is well worth the stop, the town and the Norman Rockwell Museum.
Enjoy and be safe!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If anyone goes to the Quarry...be sure to visit the cemetary in town... really. It is very interesting and could be considered an outdoor art exhibit.
The stone workers have a benefit that they can make their own monument / headstone on their own time.
They do this ahead of time...obviously...and there are many sitting on plots waiting for use...and dates to be inscribed.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #34

oldman5145

Once we get in the area, we'll figure out which portions might be suitable for the RV. But we'll most likely do most of it with only the truck and leave the RV in a campsite. Thanks!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #35

nothermark

nothermark.....yeah, we're bound to miss some of the peak fall colors, but the main thing we wanted to be sure to see is fall in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. So we'll miss some as we drive south and then, as you said, pick it up again. It's always so hard to predict the height of fall colors because it depends on so many factors.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #36

CharlesinGA

Wow! That's a great resource. Invaluable! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #37

McGarrett50

We won't be doing a route over to PA, so I can't help there, but while you're in Boothbay Harbor, you may want to check out going over to Monhegan Island. It sounds wonderful, especially for photographers (which we are). And the ride over is supposed to be beautiful as well.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #38

Forkyfork

As it turns out we won't even be going that far south, so I guess we don't need to worry about the twists and turns! :-) Thanks!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #39

Rockwood27

I fear that we've waited too late, but we just couldn't decide on an itinerary. We originally wanted to go farther north to Newfoundland and Labrador, then came to our senses! :-) So now we've finally decided and need to find a place to stay. We want to stay near Desert Island and Acadia National Park. Any suggestions for places there for our 41' 5th wheel?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #40

Can't help with where to park near Acadia. What I will suggest is that as you get farther south check out Mabry Mill on the parkway in VA near the NC border. It would be especially pretty if you hit it in color season. I'd suggest a day trip with the truck. A couple of hours of parkway including the Mill will give you a good cross section of what driving it is like.

I did some checking. The place has changed since we were there last in the 90's. At that time they were still grinding corn. Not sure if they still are. Still is pretty and interesting.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #41

Subscribed
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote