Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #15

Thanks a bunch for that. We will be going that way tomorrow (Saturday).

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #16

Tom,
Let me know what you think of that route & if your staying in Cody try & eat at Wild Bills Hotel & be sure & check out his museum on the far west end of town it's unbelievable.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #17

We just did that route last month in a 37' gasser..and I researched beforehand, My suggestion take I90 out of Rapid City to Gillette (nice Walmart for quick overnight) to Bufflalo (one hour drive to Custer's Last Stand) then 16/20 through Worland and Grey Bull onto 14/16 into Cody (Ponderosa RV Park good choice). We got many advisories NOT to take 14A and saw a picture of one of its S-turns with no guardrail. Wouldn't do that road on a 15 MPH moped with no one around!!) Onto east entrance of Yellowstone, go through the park by taking the north loop from Fishing Bridge, head towards NORRIS and (memory fails me but ask the ranger at the entrance gate) and you'll come out the west entrance into the city of West Yellowstone. We stayed at Buffalo Crossing RV park..good choice..$50/night but that's the going rate therel..make reservations in advance for rv parks in West Yellowstone. GREAT park....plan on 5-7days to see it all. Enjoy it as much as we did!!
WeDuNutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Having done last summer just what you're going to do, I'd do what we did - I-90W to 191S into West Yellowstone.... We did it in a 40' DP with a toad and it was a really good route.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

We just did the Powder River Pass 5 days ago, went west to east pulling a Jeep. I put the V-10 in Drive 3, maintained 3500 rpm's and up we went . . . .at about 40 mph. Not a whole lot of traffic on that road. I did have a point where I had two cars behind me, came to a pull out, so I moved over, the 1st car passed, the 2nd held back for some reason and I ran out of road so I had to stop to let him pass, this ended my momentum, took me a little bit to get back up to "my speed". At 8300 feet I thought I was on top of the world, my daughter then reminded me we had another 1300 to go. The scenery on the west side with it's steep rock canyons was spectacular, so glad I did it. The east side, our downside, was beautiful in it's own right, rolling timber filled hills, long way down, no problems, just took it slow.

WARNING: Hwy 16 from Newcastle to Custer is under "major" road construction..... on the Wyoming side and on the S. Dakota side. There is a section near Custer where there is no road at all for about 5 miles . . . pure mud, I swear the road crews were making bets on the side whether one was going to make it through or not.