Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #1

Best route from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone West?

Anybody know the best RV route from Salt Lake to Yellowstone West for a 43 ft Diesel RV?
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #2

I-15 North passing into Idaho to I-20 North to West Yellowstone.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I 15 north to Idaho Falls and take 20 from there.

I'm curious where you are staying in Salt Lake City and Yellowstone.

Do you have reservations at either place yet?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Best is subjective.

Easiest/fastest will be I-15 to Idaho Falls, ID (exit 119) then follow Hwy 20 right into West Yellowstone. The only real grades will be just out of Ashton, ID but very doable. That is the route we usually take even when we towed out 26' enclosed trailer with the Harley and the Jeep.

Another scenic route that the wife and I enjoy is I-15 to Brigham City, UT then take Hwy 89 up through Logan, UT and over Logan Canyon to Garden City, UT. Then stay on Hwy 89 all the way through Montpelier, ID and into Afton, WY then up through Jackson Hole, Teton National Park and into Yellowstone from the South entrance. That is a lot longer drive but a beautiful drive and you can catch Teton NP as well in the trip.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

If you’re making the trip the scenic route is great. Stopping in Teton NP is well worth it also.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
zmotorsports said:

"I-15 to Brigham City, UT then take Hwy 89 up through Logan, UT"

We've done that several times going to Logan and it is beautiful. Beware it's a pretty steep climb out of Brigham City but I manage it OK with my gasser.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post

Another scenic route that the wife and I enjoy is I-15 to Brigham City, UT then take Hwy 89 up through Logan, UT and over Logan Canyon to Garden City, UT. Then stay on Hwy 89 all the way through Montpelier, ID and into Afton, WY then up through Jackson Hole, Teton National Park and into Yellowstone from the South entrance. That is a lot longer drive but a beautiful drive and you can catch Teton NP as well in the trip.
If you're planning for Teton NP after Yellowstone then on 89 at Alpine pick up 26 taking you to Idaho Falls and north on 20 to W. Yellowstone. 26 is a very nice drive, also. Or... take 26 to Swan Valley and pick up 31 toward Victor and 33 which will come out on 20 a little north of Idaho Falls.

We always take secondary highways unless there's no other way. You'll see a lot more of beautiful scenery.

With your MH you can travel just about any secondary highway. You have plenty of power for going up and excellent braking for going down!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I 15 north to Idaho Falls and take 20 from there.

I'm curious where you are staying in Salt Lake City and Yellowstone.

Do you have reservations at either place yet?
Don’t yet, but we are running out places to go in summer.
So thought we try Utah & Yellowstone.
I guess Washington State & Oregon will be next.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well if you are goingto Salt Lake City in July you best make your reservations now.

We stay at the KOA in Salt Lake and it books up quick in the summer, especially in July because of Pioneer Days.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Well if you are goingto Salt Lake City in July you best make your reservations now.

We stay at the KOA in Salt Lake and it books up quick in the summer, especially in July because of Pioneer Days.
Another option if you can time traffic right and want to get through that Utah County and Salt Lake County crap is to stop in Ogden for the night. Just off exit 343 (Ogden) is a decent overnight stop, Century RV Park.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Good luck getting reservations. Call now and if you can’t get into west Yellowstone look up at north entrance. The park has been booked solid for months as has the Teton area. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
Good luck getting reservations. Call now and if you can’t get into west Yellowstone look up at north entrance. The park has been booked solid for months as has the Teton area. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Agreed. We generally stay in West Yellowstone but have on occasion stayed in Livingston when we were unable to get into West Yellowstone. We seem to hang out more at the northeastern area anyways so it was not a bad drive into the park for sightseeing.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
OK - Let's be honest - There is more to do, see and enjoy in the SouthWest (Utah - Wyoming and Colorado) than you can do in a lifetime!

So IMHO, you need to define more of what YOU as an RV'er will enjoy?

Just a personal Note - Utah is Hot in the Summer - so need to mix your visits into these areas with trips into the elevation, where things will cool slightly, also look to Water features to make the Heat more enjoyable. Look to Bryce, and the North Rim for elevation, Lake Powell, Colorado River. Green River along with many State Parks and Reservoirs for more Water to help counter act the Heat.

While we have spent 100's of days in SLC not sure it would be a destination in the Summer (skied there fo 15 years with the Kids) - there are many beautiful drives into the many Canyons and. the Ski resorts often have very active summer schedules that will offer a big change of pace.

Now as to what route might just be fun to West Yellowstone, Have you looked at heading out passing through Park City - then from there Possibly to Dino National Monument and the Green River? Then Up to Flaming Gorge to enjoy the Water and the Beaches there. From there across to Dubois and RT 26 allowing a Beautiful Drive into the Tetons and then into Yellowstone and driving out to West Yellowstone, I Don't care how many times you see them they are Extremely Impressive as you cross the Divide and see them out the front Windshield, Adding to the fact that with a little Luck you may catch Old Faithful showing off.

Just one more option of Many that will present itself as you get into the SouthWest, More to see than possible in a Lifetime, Sooooo much to see and Do just never enough Time!

Best of Luck,

Note - there are no wrong choices - just many, many Options, None of them Bad.

Second - Note here we did all the Rockies from Yellowstone to Taos then back to Colorado, spending well over a Hundred days with no used reservations, All Summer and Fall - just be smart and plan well and it can still be done all summer long without Reservations.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, yellowstone