RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Best route in Arizona/Utah Travel

Hello,
Camping in Williams, AZ as a base to see nearby attractions (Grand Canyon, Sedona, Hoover Dam, etc). Heading to Page, UT to visit Zion, Bryce, Antelope Canyon, etc. Question:
Is it better to take 89 to Page (a straight shot from Flagstaff), camp in Page and drive the toad to the areas mentioned above or
take I-40 towards Vegas (stop at Hoover Dam on the way), pick up I-15 and make our way to Page that way?
If we take the interstate it adds about 450 miles to our trip, via motorhome.

Additional questions:

1. Any attractions along the way, other than Hoover Dam, if we do interstate? (Not Vegas, already been).

2. Which is a better drive, road wise, interstate or 89?

Traveling in mid-April, have plenty of time, traveling in a 35í class A, towing a car. Struggling with this . Please comment. Thank you,

Rose

Rp1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

Take 89 to Page. Don't try to do national parks from a base. You'll be doing too much driving and wasting time; plus, you'll probably only do this for one day. The national parks deserve many days. Move to the national parks themselves. Even doing Grand Canyon from Williams isn't the best way. Again, you'll only do that drive once, probably.

Flagstaff has some very nice Indian ruins - Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument and Sunset Crater Volcano Nat'l Monument. We like to stay at Bonito national forest campground at the entrance gate to Sunset Crater. Lovely dry campground.

Taking I-40 west just to see Hoover Dam wouldn't be my choice but you'll have to decide what's important to you.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp1955 View Post
Hello,
Camping in Williams, AZ as a base to see nearby attractions (Grand Canyon, Sedona, Hoover Dam, etc). Heading to Page, UT to visit Zion, Bryce, Antelope Canyon, etc. Question:
Is it better to take 89 to Page (a straight shot from Flagstaff), camp in Page and drive the toad to the areas mentioned above or
take I-40 towards Vegas (stop at Hoover Dam on the way), pick up I-15 and make our way to Page that way?

Additional questions:

1. Any attractions along the way, other than Hoover Dam, if we do interstate? (Not Vegas, already been).

Traveling in mid-April, have plenty of time, traveling in a 35í class A, towing a car. Struggling with this . Please comment. Thank you,

Rose
Mission is to See a Lot.

Answer is to stay in or as close to where you visit as possible - Some spots like Page you can easily do two or three things from the one location, but most NP's it's best to stay in them to fully enjoy Them.

Right now there are a number of threads on Utah and Arizona - main things are the NP's, the SP's and the NM's - Slot canyons are often Missed as is the NRA - Lake Powell and Mead - Canyon de Chelly is a favorite of ours along with Monument Valley.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/monu...-478911-2.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/utah-5-a-357429.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/pre-...me-433398.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/sout...ah-351498.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/sout...-a-349825.html

Read through these - should keep you busy - think about it a little bit - Break it down into smaller Pieces - then we can all chip in to help you make this Great.

Hope this is of some Help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Seems to me that trying to see Zion or Bryce from Page is not such a good idea. They are too far. As others said - go stay in/near Zion and Bryce, you'll drive A LOT LESS and have time to enjoy those places for as many or as few days as you want.

In Page you can visit:
Horseshoe Bend (busy place but worth a bit of time to enjoy the view;
Antelope Canyon - crowded so make a reservation;
Glen Canyon Dam - OK visit, nice visitor center;
Toadstool Hoodos - on the way on 89 to Kanab;
Raft The Colorado - day trip, float from the base of the dam to Lee's Ferry;
Marble Canyon / Vermillion Cliffs - nice drive on 89A;
Boat Ride on Lake Powell;
Navajo Bridge;
Book a tour with Paria Outfitters (on 89 on the way to Kanab)

I'd choose 89 over an interstate. Do not do 89A in an RV.

For Bryce you can stay at Ruby's Inn Campground and just take the national park service bus to just about every spot in Bryce Canyon.

Have fun....
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My vote would also be for 89. If you are interested in a slight diversion, stop in Tuba City and visit the Navajo trading post there. The restaurant next door has very good fry bread that we have driven out of our way to enjoy.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #6

There's also an awesome quality gift shop at the Cameron Trading Post on 89 just north of the intersection of 64. It's on the west side of the highway. It has a terrific restaurant and great Navajo Tacos.

If staying in Grand Canyon Nat'l Park when leaving just take 64 east to 89. Turn left on 89 and the Cameron Trading Post is right around the corner on the west side of 89.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp1955 View Post
Hello,

Additional questions:

Rose
Whoa! Everything is long distances. A few facts you may not realize. From Williams, AZ one-way:
  • To Hoover Dam via I-40 to Kingman, AZ then north on US 93 then a very winding access road = 3 Hours + a time zone change.
  • To Grand Canyon NP = 1 Hour
  • To Painted Desert/Petrified Forest NP = 2 Hours
  • Meteor Crater near Winslow = 1-1.5 hours
US-93 from Kingman to Boulder there are NO gas stations. Advanced warning at Hoover Dam, the RV & Bus lot is on a hilltop, the last one at then end of a very winding 2 lane road. There lots along the way for autos.

If you camp in Williams, take the Grand Canyon Express train into the park and is more scenic than the very boring drive up AZ-64. Within the park there are free shuttle buses. There IS a nice CG in the park, but then you're an hour away from Williams. Plan a at least 2 days, here. The breakfast buffet at the GC lodge is great.

If you're coming from the east on I-40, you can exit to the Painted Desert NP with your entire rig and drive thru it and on into the Petrified Forest NP. When you exit the south end, take the US-180 back to Holbrook, AZ and I-40. The road is good and the pull out parking lots along the way have RV spaces. (The Park Road goes OVER I-40).

Meteor Crater is off I-40 a few miles, but they have campground. We didn't stop there, so i don't know the road condition.

Where are coming from? If you come thru Amarillo, TX and have time drop south to the Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It's nickname is "The Grand Canyon of Texas".
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

Last April we did a similar trip:
1. Stayed at Mather CG in the Grand Canyon for 3 nights. I love
that CG!!! Elk loved our site too!
2. We drove up to Page and stayed there one night and went on a tour of
Antelope Canyon. OMG- fabulous!
3. We went through Cameron, AZ before Page and I bought some beautiful jewelry.
4. We went on 89 per Twogypsies suggestion and stayed at Sand Hollow State Park, due to the fact that everything else was booked solid. But this worked for us. It was just a 20-30 minute drive to Zion and we also drove down to St. George once for supplies at Costco.
5. We then drove to (NOT through Zion) the Bryce area and stayed 3 nights at Kodachrome State Park as this was our home base for visiting Bryce and surrounding area. We went south then back north up through Kanab.

So, you can see that it would behoove you to use various locations for a base camp and well worth it!
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #9

DW just told me that Moab is closing all campgrounds and lodging until further notice, anybody else hear this. They don't want visitors. Don't know about the rest of Utah.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
DW just told me that Moab is closing all campgrounds and lodging until further notice, anybody else hear this. They don't want visitors. Don't know about the rest of Utah.
As I understand it only Moab - State Parks are open.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #11

Here's a link on Moab:

https://www.upr.org/post/moab-closed-visitors
Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

Here's another website.

https://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds/
Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #13

if you plan to enter zion from the east check that your motor home /. towed car will fit through the zion / carmel tunnel. they have height / width / length restrictions. hoover dam seems a long ways to go. i thought i read somewhere that the bryce canyon shuttle was suspended but you could use your car. who know what the situation will be in april?

bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, route, travel, utah