RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1945 View Post
Thanks. We are also in st catharines!
Where in Florida?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
We are going to Sarasota Sun n Fun then to Wekivia Falls just North of Orlando. Surprisingly we had to get permission to stay at Wekivia with our twenty year old DP. We sent in a picture and a small detail and to our surprise we got in.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Hello,

We live just outside of Milton, ON in Campbellville and will be heading to Florida for our 8th year this January.
We always take the 401 to Windsor and then I-75 all the way south.
The roads are in decent condition and with the exception of construction that you will find everywhere we find it to be a great route.
Driving through Atlanta is busy. so you just need to pick your times 10:00 am-2:00 pm is best.
There are some mountains in the Kentucky / Tennessee area but nothing like that along I-95.
We did once several years ago before the RV'ing.
We also have our regular overnight places along I-75, so it has become a routine now.
If this is your first year to be RV'ing in Florida, and depending on your destination, you may want to consider making reservations now.
Hurricane Irma wiped out several RV Parks in the Keys and that is putting increased demands on other parks to handle the tourists.
Remember the Rouge River bridge in Detroit is closed South bound lanes
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #17

Spoke with 2 friends that have recently driven through the I-75 Rouge River detour and say it adds 30 min. to the travels, but all good roads.
Wish they could do something about I-75 through Atlanta.
We really try to pick our times, but still run into congestion.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
best route to Florida

After considering all the responses to my question, I think we will take the I 79, I 77, etc route, that eventually leads to I 95 at the bottom end.
On the return trip we might use I 75.
Ours is a 18 year old MH, is there an age limit in most parks, or only on upscale places?
Thanks all for your responses.
Dank1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1945 View Post
After considering all the responses to my question, I think we will take the I 79, I 77, etc route, that eventually leads to I 95 at the bottom end.
On the return trip we might use I 75.
Ours is a 18 year old MH, is there an age limit in most parks, or only on upscale places?
Thanks all for your responses.
There are many many excellent parks with no restrictions on the age of your RV.
Our last coach was 17 years old, our current coach is only 3 years old and we avoid the parks with age limits. By doing so we can avoid the people who insist on these parks!
I can appreciate parks not wanting a derelict "Cousin Eddy" type RV on their sites, but age should not be a determining factor.
I spoke with a gentleman last year who drives a new $450K Super "C" and was told he could not enter a luxury "Motorcoach Only" park!
Enjoy your trip.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
That is a terribly circuitous route to get to Florida from Olean, NY. All the I-80 and I-76 miles are taking you west, not south. And I-71 runs south west across Ohio. Lots of unnecessary miles there on a very roundabout route that takes you a long way west before you turn south.

A much much more direct route would be:
I-86 west to I-79
I-79 south to US 19
US 19 south to I-77
I-77 south to I-26 in Columbia, SC
I-26 south to I-95
I-95 south to the east coast of Florida.

I've driven this route from the Pittsburgh area many times, and it's a nice drive.

If you're headed for the Gulf coast, take I-10 west out of JAX or US 301 or some other route across northern Florida.
That is a nice easy route, but I prefer to pickup 301 at Orangeburg on I26 and take it down to I10. I95 is a zoo.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #21

Leaving Ottawa for Florida for the 1st time in 2 weeks. Taking 81 south to the 76 / 83 and then I95 . Spend a night at Cherry Hill, DC and a night at Palamento Shores RV Resort , Sc. On the way. Hope it works!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Spoke with 2 friends that have recently driven through the I-75 Rouge River detour and say it adds 30 min. to the travels, but all good roads.
Wish they could do something about I-75 through Atlanta.
We really try to pick our times, but still run into congestion.
to get around Atlanta with a decent route try this
75 south out of Tn to Adairsville,Ga...take Ga rt 140 over to Ga rt 27 south ,stay on 27 across I-20 down to La Grange,Ga..to I-185 south to Columbus,Ga.then take rt 280 to Richland,Ga to ga rt 520 to Dawson the rt 82 to Albany,Ga to Cordelle and I-75....55 mph most the way...very little traffic..C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #23

We went through Atlanta a day ago and had no problems. We stopped South of Atlanta for supper and to let the rush hour craziness go by. We went through at 7 pm and the traffic was good and not hectic. Only encountered a few impatient drivers, but overall good. We stopped at the Wlamart in Marrietta just North of Atlanta for the night; and had no problems getting on I75 North; nor with traffic. I wish I could say the same for our adventure last night just South of Cincinnati. The weather turned nasty just North of Georgetown Ky. Cars off the road and traffic down to 30 mph, with snow plows/ sanders travelling around 20 mph. Made it to Florence Ky Walmart for the night safe and sound. Last leg and ft he trip is now cold, but no snow.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #24

I wonder if the i75 is better than the i95 going south? Similar or?
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
I wonder if the i75 is better than the i95 going south? Similar or?
We take both routes, I95 going south and I75 going North. Family in Windsor is why we return on I75. The I95 route is better for us as we are only expose to lake effect snow when we take I90 along Lake Erie. I75 route has to areas of lake effect for Canadians in Ohio near Lake Erie and on Hwy 401 in and around London. Distance wise the I95 route is shorter for us and we like the views along that route. We will probably take the same two routes every year for variety and to see family; and if allowed, Visione rv salvage yard.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok,
Thanks for allresponses to my initial inquiry.
We ended up leaving dec 20th, to get ahead of impending weather approaching from the West Coast. We took I 90 W out of Fort Erie, I 271 at Erie PA, then I 71, and I 75 at Cincinnati. As our rv park is on US 72 S, we jumped on it right out of I 75, and avoided Turnpike toll fees. I 75 has few climbs, which is what had me most worried, as ours is a 1999 rv. We towed a civic on a towdolly, and didnt even know it was there. I did use cruise control on level grounds, but took it off when the road had slight elevations to save the transmission from downshifting from overrive so frequently at the slightest rise on the road. Probably,if we had been going faster than 60 mph that wouldnt had been happening so frequently. This is my first long distance trip with the MH. The only issue was when transports were overtaking us, which pushed me hard onto the shoulder a couple of times, prompting a panic reaction from the better half. Most of the time there is a sharp dropoff to the shoulder area that could cause you to get in trouble if you oversteer to get it back into the driving lane.
Just my 2c, which might help someone else avoid trouble.
Dank1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida