Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Best Route to Huntington Beach

I have 3 different trip routes from Ashville, NC to Huntington Beach State Park, SC using 3 different applications. Which route would you prefer? What are the pro and con of each route? I will be towing a 5th wheel trailer. Any advice will be appreciated.
(1) Delorme Street Atlas - 433 miles
I-26 from Ashville, NC
Hwy 301 near Orangeburg
I-95 in Santee
Hwy 301 near Manning
Hwy 521 in Manning
Hwy 17A in Georgetown
Hwy 17 to Huntington Beach State Park
(2) Microsoft Streets & Trips - 420 miles
I-26 from Ashville, NC
I-20 in Columbia
Hwy 76 in Florence
Hwy 501 in Conway
Hwy 544 i Surfside Beach
(3) Trailer Life Campground Navigator - 401 miles
I-26 from Ashville, NC
Hwy 76 in Columbia
Hwy 521 near Sumter
Hwy 17A near Georgetown
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

I go to Huntington from Columbia using the same basic route as option 3 in my mh. A few small towns to go through but no problems.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can shorten your journey by 100 miles if you use mapquest an put in Ashville, NC to Murrels Inlet SC
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
WOW! You're right! Thanks for responding. How is SC-151 pulling a 5th wheel? Are there any low clearances? Is this a curvy, hilly highway? Sometimes it is best to take the long way around to save a lot of trouble?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in Florence, SC and are in the Huntington Beach/Brookgreen Gardens area fairly often. The run from Florence to Conway is a breeze and in Conway you have two options... take 701 into Georgetown and come up the coast to the State Park (the loooong way) or take 544 into Surfside and go down Hwy 17 to the park (which will be on your left..) Either is a breeze.

SC 151 will bring you thru McBee into Darlington and then into Florence and it's an easy run from outside of the Charlotte area into here.

Hope this makes sense....

Good luck, and safe travels!

Kyle
Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, I cannot help you with your whole route as my direct experience is across 40, down 95 exiting at Sc34 (I think, there is a Flying J and a Hess at the exit usually the lowest cost fuel). It is probably the 2nd or 3rd exit after South of the Border

That exit/highway turns into 501 and then I take 544 it is signed but you turn right after Conway National Bank)and it takes you to the Kings Highway (17) where I turn left to go to Myrtle Beach State Park and you would turn right to go to Huntington.

I always used this route when I had my 5ver.

After you turn right and pass Surfside Beach (I used to live there) there is Kroeger, Bi Lo and I think a new Walmart with good parking lots and grocery shopping.

I have never stayed at Huntington, always Myrtle Beach State Park
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
My biggest concern is with up and down inclines. I would like to avoid as much mountainous travel as possible. Anyone know which would be the best alternative?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I took option 2. I was concerned with pulling the mountain up into NC and then with the 6% down grade out of Asheville. This was the time pulling the 5th wheel over the mountain with our 1500. It handled even better that I could have hoped for. We are right on the verge of being overloaded. We averaged about 12 mpg staying at 60 mph. I couldn't ask for a better setup for traveling.