Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Best route to Nova Scotia

I live in North Carolina and would like to travel to Nova Scotia. When I routed the trip with good Sam's, it took me on 95 which was fine however, it took me through major cities, tunnel (no RVs and restricted bridges. I am new at RVing. Thought about sliding over to 81 and then come back further north? 38' DP with a car in tow.

Thanks Gene
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, 81 to 84 to 90 to 290 around Boston to 495 to 95, if you want highways the majority of the way.

Or maybe 81 to 88 to 87 to Montreal, then east from Montreal if you want to see more of Canada. Montreal isn't that exciting, but Quebec City and surroundings are nice.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #3

Setting up a route with a GPS has it's problems .
Route type; best, shortest, avoid list ;all play into how your travel route is laid out. Took me a while to figure out, how to get by-passes for Seattle & Portland, into my R/M unit.
GPS is good once you have the programing, down pat, but you need to check each days route against a map the night before to avoid sections that you don't like .
Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #4

No wonder you asked for a better route. Taking an RV through cities even in the west gives me sweaty palms. We will be going 400 miles in a week from Las Vegas, NM to Fort Collins, CO and I really hate Trinidad, Colorado Springs, and Denver. I prefer driving through on a weekend. My wife is blase about this and drives through without much of a care.

We took a 3-day seminar before we bought our first TT. There was a questionaire that everyone took. One question was "would you drive 100 miles out of your way to avoid driving through LA traffic. Both Elaine and I wrote YES. Apparently it was the wrong answer for one who planned to RV. OK, we will still write YES. Cripes, ou drive through 120 miles of traffic when you go south of Ensenada in Baja and we hated that. Puebla and Villahermosa Mexico are crap. We flunk that exam.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Gene

Every city on your route through tunnels and bridges - o happy day.

Elaine and I took a 3 day seminar before we bought our first TT. Everyone took a questionnaire and one question was something like "would you drive 100 miles out of your way to avoid LA traffic. Both of us answered YES (sorry for the capitals but wanted the emphasis). This was apparently the wrong answer as was pointed out to us by the moderator in discussion (Elaine and I carefully did not take the same classes at the same time) - one should delight in going through New York City or Los Angeles rush hour traffic. The thought of it gives me sweaty palms. Elaine is the better driver in traffic and it not terribly affected but prefers not to put up with it. We are going from Las Vegas, NM to Fort Collins, CO next week and I am emphatic about doing this on the weekend. Denver is fairly bad and Colorado Springs is horrid - OK, not compared to East Coast or southern California but bad enough.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

We went in June, July & August 2011 and had a great trip. If you end up on I-95 going into Canada you will be at Houlton, ME. We went that way and stayed at a campground called My Brothers Place Campground Houlton Maine It's a nice place to stop prior to crossing the border. There is a Wal-Mart there also. Make sure you get fuel prior to going into Canada as you will find it quite expensive once you cross the border. If you are going to the Cabot Trail we stayed at North Sydney / Cabot Trail KOA | Camping in Nova Scotia | KOA Campgrounds If you do go there ask for the top level. They have a tremendous view of the Atlantic. It is about 5 or 6 miles from the Cabot Trail.
P.E.I. Is a great place to visit also, and going over the Federation Bridge is quite an experience.
We didn't make long range reservations at any campground, we would just call ahead to the next one where we were going on the morning that we were headed their way. I had always made a first and second choice on a list and only one time was the first choice booked and we went with the second.
Make sure you contact your cell phone provider and any credit cards you plan on using prior to entering Canada.
Also you will find most of the campgrounds in Canada only have 30 amp. We had a great time and probably will go back again one of these days. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

I would take 81 to 84 then to 90 then to 495 then to 95.

90 is a toll road but you won't be on it for long. You have the option of driving 95 to the border and then picking up the Trans Canada highway to NS.

You could also take the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth NS. It's due to start on May 15 again, been out of service for a few years. Ferry trip takes 11-12 hours. You won't be able to stay in the rig but they do have lounges or cabins.

Maine to Nova Scotia Ferry with service between Portland, ME and Yarmouth, NS beginning in 2014 | Nova Star Cruises
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #8

We're getting ready to roll out of so. Maryland & head north later this week for the 4th time in New England and points north. Depending on where you're located in N.C., you can take 95N to 695W around Baltimore to 83N, that'll get you to 81N at Harrisburg, PA., then as FlyingDiver posted 84 to 90 to 495n which will run you into 95N and all points north. We travel that way everytime we head north so we miss all the craziness thru Jersey and N.Y. city area with those over priced bridge tolls. This route adds a few miles but it's worth it as far as reducing the stress level.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Yeah, 81 to 84 to 90 to 290 around Boston to 495 to 95, if you want highways the majority of the way.
Yes this is your most comfortable driving route. You definitely want to skirt around95 and avoid NJ and CT. I live in Nova Scotia and if you need any info on campgrounds or anything else, just let me know. Our gasoline and diesel prices reached a record high here last week. A US gallon will run you around $6 CAN. You do have the advantage of our 90 cent dollar
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #10

Depending on where you are coming from and how big a hurry you are in. Rt 15 north to 64 then cut over to 81 at Charlottsville, VA is not bad and prettier than the super slab all the way. The other way I have been in the car is up the coast to the bridge tunnel from Norfolk to the Delmarva penninsula. That is easy running most of the way. The Bridge tunnel is mostly bridge and is a regular route for heavy trucks. I do not recall any issues like the Baltimore tunnels but I would check. Once you get up around Wilmington head for 81 at Wilkes-Barre, PA. Less push and more interesting places to poke if you are not in a hurry. If you want it there is a free ferry ride across the James River. Did it last year on a trip to the OBX.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote