Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #15

Go straight through on I-90.

The alternative is to get down to I-480 to I-271N then back to I-90 in Willoughby. It'll add at least 20-25 miles and could add even more time depending on day/time through there.

IF you decide to go through downtown at about Progressive Field make sure you're in the 2 or 3rd lane from the left and stay there at least through dead-man's curve (about 2 miles). The other lanes have short on/off ramps that have to merge into them and at the curve the right most lanes will route you back towards Cleveland/downtown if you are stuck in them.

If you get East of the city and are looking for a place to stay about 5 miles South on Rt-528 is a KOA (take the 212 Exit of I-90 in Madison (I grew up here). Nice camp and about 10 miles North to grocery shopping/ fast food if that's your thing. Not sure if the restaurants in the village are open or not (A friend owns the brewery there). The lake is about 5 more miles North (Rt-528 dead ends into it) and there is a township park right at the end.

This area has about 20 different wineries, a couple breweries and at least 1 distillery if that's your thing.

Past the 212 exit you'll see the first few "big" truck stops in about 60-70 miles of travel on I-90. (Geneva and Austinburg have large stops).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #16

When I used to drive truck between Detroit and Buffalo, I found Hwy 2/90 to be the best route from Toledo. There is less traffic, you avoid tolls and the road is in better condition. What time are you going through Cleveland? If you are concerned about Cleveland traffic, then time your drive to avoid rush hour, which even then is pretty mild.
I-80 is a major truck route and not a good experience for a safe conscious RV driver with lines of trucks constantly passing. I refuse to run 80 mph just to keep up with traffic.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Remember that the Right lanes give access to the entrance and exit ramps, and possibly the construction vehicles leaving the construction zone.

If you are going straight thru, the Left lanes will be less hassle.
Usually you would be correct, but like I said the left two lanes cross over which is not level. The two left asphalt lanes have a narrow strip of concrete between them that the center wall barrier will rest on when it's done. Your vehicle (as well as other guys) gets this side to side rocking as you come across and is hard to stay in your already narrow lane. Then to add to it, it's 50 mph for construction and everybody is trying to maintain 70+.

I would recommend the right two lanes and go slower.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #18

Hmmm.. thought I had it figured out until I saw this lane shift thing. So if we were to stay in either of the 2 right-most lanes, we may have to deal with merging traffic but at least we don’t have to deal with an un-level pavement that causes uncontrollable rocking. Is that correct? Would we be in the wrong lanes for thru-traffic? Are there concrete barriers lining the right lanes? As the passenger, I really, really hate them. Maybe throw another “really” in there for good measure.
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just happened to have to go to the airport for my SIL and was able to get pictures as of Sunday 8/17/2020. When were you planning on driving through Cleveland? Maybe they will be farther along.

I believe the only signage is to use the right two lanes if you need to exit at E140 & E152. There is no reason why you can't use those lanes to pass through. There are no cement walls for the slow lane (far right) but you would need to deal with in coming traffic. There is a wall on the left lane with orange barrels.

The slow lane is actually the shoulder too, so I would probably stay in the right center lane before the construction split which would be the left lane going through. This would avoid the in coming traffic and riding on the shoulder.

Another point is after this construction zone a few miles down is a normal split where the left two lanes are for Ohio Route 2 East and the right two lanes are to remain on I-90 East. Staying in the lane I mentioned would line you up with continuing on I-90 East.

Note the black jeep in front of me in the pictures switched lanes going in at the very last second. I had to brake to let him over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	297517   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	297518  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	297519   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	297520  

Old 08-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMom View Post
Hmmm.. thought I had it figured out until I saw this lane shift thing. So if we were to stay in either of the 2 right-most lanes, we may have to deal with merging traffic but at least we don’t have to deal with an un-level pavement that causes uncontrollable rocking. Is that correct? Would we be in the wrong lanes for thru-traffic? Are there concrete barriers lining the right lanes? As the passenger, I really, really hate them. Maybe throw another “really” in there for good measure.
So have you traveled yet, and which way did you go?

FYI, all four lanes now shift left I-90 east bound. The split is gone (for now).