RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Best way through San Antonio on Rte 10?

I have to pass westbound through San Antonio in mid February heading from Houston to Big Bend (Terlingua). I've got a 43' Class A pulling a Jeep. I know in Houston going through the city on 10 isn't much fun, but going through on 610 would be a nightmare, since it's just as busy but 610 is very, very tight with narrow lanes.

On my trip to from Houston to Big Bend, RV Trip Wizard plans me westbound out of Houston on INterstate 10 until I hit San Antonio, then heading north on 410 to 35 west then back onto 10 towards Boerne, where we'll be spending the night. Are those roads failry wide open and usable for my coach and tow car? Is there any lane closures, construction or anything that I need to be aware of? I am new with the coach and it's the first time I'll be pulling the Jeep, so I'd like to avoid a situation such as 610 in Houston for anyone that is familiar with that, with very narrow lanes.

Anyone familiar with San Antonio who can comment on that route or suggest something easier please do so. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

I can't help a lot as it's been 30 or more years since I was in SanAntonio and it was terrible then and most big cities have only gotten worse. As I was reading on another post a lot of rver"s will go out of their way to avoid the big cities even if it's more miles but a lot of times shorter time wise or equal.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #3

We live about 30 miles northeast of SA--wife is a native, I get my honorary Texas card next month--after 30 years....traffic in SA is nothing like Houston but going into downtown SA on I-10 is not that much fun....there is currently construction on both the east and west sides of SA on I-10....
Consider taking HWY46 at Seguin, and go north east toward New Braunfels and then on to Boerne....depending on the time of day, there can be a bit of congestion in the New Braunfels area but HWY46 is a very good and well-maintained 2-lane/4-lane road and the scenery across 46, thru the Texas Hill Country, is very nice. From our home near New Braunfels, we always take 46 with our 40ft DP to Boerne where we join I-10 west. Enjoy your time in Big Bend--are you staying at the resort in Lajitas?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I have to pass westbound through San Antonio in mid February heading from Houston to Big Bend (Terlingua). I've got a 43' Class A pulling a Jeep. I know in Houston going through the city on 10 isn't much fun, but going through on 610 would be a nightmare, since it's just as busy but 610 is very, very tight with narrow lanes.

On my trip to from Houston to Big Bend, RV Trip Wizard plans me westbound out of Houston on INterstate 10 until I hit San Antonio, then heading north on 410 to 35 west then back onto 10 towards Boerne, where we'll be spending the night. Are those roads failry wide open and usable for my coach and tow car? Is there any lane closures, construction or anything that I need to be aware of? I am new with the coach and it's the first time I'll be pulling the Jeep, so I'd like to avoid a situation such as 610 in Houston for anyone that is familiar with that, with very narrow lanes.

Anyone familiar with San Antonio who can comment on that route or suggest something easier please do so. Thanks!
When we came thru San Antonio in November I-10 had major construction east of San Antonio and up toward Boerne. To miss downtown we took the 1604 north around San Antonio. But even on this route there was construction, but not as much as on I-10. We were at Lake Conroe, Thousand Trails park, and went to Medina Lakes the Thousand Trails park NW of San Antonio. We pull a 45 foot 5th wheel toy hauler with a Ram dually, just slow down and take your time in the construction areas. There were also a few areas of construction on I-10 between Houston & San Antonio before getting to the 1604 but these were quick to get thru.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #5

Been through quite a few times...last in 2018. My opinion is to take 10 all the way. Kind of windy but OK.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
We live about 30 miles northeast of SA--wife is a native, I get my honorary Texas card next month--after 30 years....traffic in SA is nothing like Houston but going into downtown SA on I-10 is not that much fun....there is currently construction on both the east and west sides of SA on I-10....
Consider taking HWY46 at Seguin, and go north east toward New Braunfels and then on to Boerne....depending on the time of day, there can be a bit of congestion in the New Braunfels area but HWY46 is a very good and well-maintained 2-lane/4-lane road and the scenery across 46, thru the Texas Hill Country, is very nice. From our home near New Braunfels, we always take 46 with our 40ft DP to Boerne where we join I-10 west. Enjoy your time in Big Bend--are you staying at the resort in Lajitas?
This.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

OR, for a more enjoyable drive, take U.S. 90 west from San Antonio to Marathon/Big Bend.

Far less traffic and good road.

More things to see along the way as well.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple years ago I was headed east on I 10. I'd been through San Antonio a couple times before and knew you better be in the correct lane at the correct time.

Well there were several empty flatbed trucks that hauled oil pipe headed back to Houston for more pipe and I was pretty sure they'd know the best route so I got behind one of them and sailed right through staying in the same lane he stayed in.

Let me tell you that guy was flying!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

----HWY 90 is good too.....a bit more adventurous ….
OOPS--I meant northWEST from Seguin to New Braunfels on HWY 46...but figured you got it anyway....
Old 01-24-2021, 12:06 AM   #10

Thanks guys - since buying the coach this is our first real "trip" so to speak so it's all new to us. We're staying at Top Of The Hill for a few days in Bourne to see whatever we can in the San Antonio area, then heading to a very smal park out by Terlingua for a week or so in Big Bend. There were a few highly recommended parks out in the Big Bend area, but they were all full - not a spot to be had. The place we will be staying is called BJ's RV Park. Not very picturesque in the photos, but it gets fair reviews and it's available. The owner has been very cooperative in getting things set up. All we really need is a place to hook up and act as a base camp, so it should be fine.

As for route, taking 46 up from Seguin and around to Bourne looks like a good idea. Assuming it's an open and easy drive, that'll work just fine. Going from Bourne to Terlingua, taking a more interesting road like 90 instead of a superhighway like 10 sounds good. Is 90 a good road, not too tight, etc?

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-24-2021, 12:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
----HWY 90 is good too.....a bit more adventurous ….

Define.... "adventurous"
I'm new with this big thing and still building expertise and confidence.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:25 AM   #12

I-10 through San Antonio is not a big problem, if you stay away from rush hours. We did this a couple of years ago. However, for some different scenery, plan your route around SA. Texas has some beautiful country.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:44 AM   #13

X2 for taking N. Loop 1604E. Much easier than going hwy 10 through city.
Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #14

...Not a fan of 1604, especially during rush hour ....46 is easy to drive...if you go to Boerne, its harder to get back to HWY90...see map...besides, you will get to see enough isolation while in the Big Bend area....Hill Top CG is north of Boerne so going back to SA is doable, also recommend a day trip up to the Fredricksburg area from Hill Top -- quaint little German town with lots to see and do in that area....