Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Birmingham to Pasedena for BCS Championship

Sine we are relative newcomers to RVing this trip to California is pretty daunting. Looks like best route (due to weather) is I10 all the way. Need to leave the afternoon of the 1st and get there by the 6th (San Dimas, CA). Any and all suggestions for stops etc would really be appreciated. Trip home will be more leisurely with a week in Plam springs and a few days at the Quartzsie, Az RV gathering. Thanks for your help. By the way, anyone else heading out for the game?

2010 Ford Edge
Barry and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry and Linda View Post
By the way, anyone else heading out for the game?
Yes, there are lots of us in Austin headed that way. Would suggest I-12 around the north side of N.O.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thirty to thirty five hours of driving going the shortest route. Probably add another 4 or five hours dropping down to IH 10. For me thats a lot of driving in five days...plus you'll need to stop for fuel, eat and other things. It is doable of course. I've certainly done the 10-12 hour drive days and then paid dearly the next day, but then I ain't as young as I use to be either. I don't see how you'll have much sightseeing time going west.

Safe travels....

After thought...make sure you hit Houston and San Antonio at off peak traffic times (after 9AM and before 3PM)or you can add a lot of inching along time to your trip.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim stated. We both live around the Houston area.

As for places to stay, you really need to either plan you travel, or wing it as you go and you eyelids determine it's time to stop. In ether case, if yo don't have a lot of different RV directories, you can do a lot of planning the night before or on the fly if you have a wifi card.

Go to Bing Maps. It merged with Microsoft'sw maps.live.com. In the BING search pane type in the name of a city, Houston for example. When the city pops up, again in the same search pane type in your key words to search on. Exampe: campground, or rv park, or rv resort, etc. For each of the keyword searches you may get different results but once you have found something on your route, or close, you can investigate on the internet or call for further information.

Not really knowing what your driving schedule will be makes it difficult to pinpoint a place for you to stop. As Jim stated, that is a lot of driving in a MH. Well, for us old folks anyhow. From the Texas line on I-10 to the Texas line going into New Mexico is 879 miles.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
KIX

If the weather cooperates the route I have taken is 20 to Dallas then US 287 to Amarillo then 40 on West. 287 is a 70 mph road.......excellent divided 4 lane. Based on the travel time you have allowed for yourself you'll just need places to get off the road to sleep a few hours and get up and go again. This being the case, IMO, RV parks will take up too much of your valuable time.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
San Dimas High School Football Rocks!!!

No way Ted.....Yes way Bill

Staying at Puddingstone?
Take an extra day and arrive safe. You never know about the weather this time of year. Texas can be pretty wet.

Dick
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Consider I-20. It's generally in good condition and merges with I-10 near Fort Stockton in west Texas.

Keep an eye on the weather, especially if you get as far north as I-40. I-40 from Amarillo to western AZ can be one of the worst winter travel roads in the country. It is not unusual to have large stretches of this road closed during a winter storm and there is lots of "middle of no where" along this stretch of highway.

I-10 across southern New Mexico is subject to high winds and blowing dust.

These storms and the poor driving conditions they cause typically only last a day or two, but you do not want to be stuck in one.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
With I-20, you'll miss New Orleans, Houston and San Antonio. The only really large metro area you'll hit is Dallas/Fort Worth and the highway skirts the south side instead of going through the middle of the metro area.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Map out your trip useing flying j and ta travel centers as your rest stops. These are full service stops (good food, supplies, fuel). Truckers and rv'ers use them a lot. You can park overnite as they have large spots for rv's. Go to their sites on the net and you will find all locations. Map out a first and second choice stop per day. The biggest slow down can be the winds in az and the ca deserts, be careful. The walmart in deming, nm is a good stop, also a nice truck stop in benson, az. I'll have to get the name for you. The gila bend will bypass phoenix, az. Pick up the walmart giant road atlas, will show you all walmart stores with exit #'s. Fina travel centers are also good and quieter than the more major stops. I drove hotshot trucks for two years, l.a. To east coast many times, the stops were in my memory. Had a lot of fun driving but my wife hated me being gone. Many major cities have loops that take you around the traffic, may add 20 miles but much less stress and quicker. Do not fall for any of the hard luck beggar stories, sounds cold but keep your money. Be polite, but stern and you will stay safe. I know this sounds like common sense, but most people become victims due to a simple error in judgement. Bring all types of clothing, we never know what our weather is going to be in pasadena at new years time. Oh yeah i live in altadena, three miles n. Of pasadena. San dimas area has koa and puddingstone campgrounds very near.
J
j
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I made almost the same trip last year and Breezed through San Antonio and Houston on the weekend so no commute traffic. If you take I 10 you will go through both on Saturday. The trip going I 10 is about 2200 miles and I 20 about 2100 miles...due to weather I would plan on I 10.
I figure with stops for fuel and food about 50 miles per hour average...I drive at about 60 MPH towing. Even though I have a 150 gal. fuel tank I usually fuel at no more than 100 gal which is about 700 miles. I use Flying J so I try to plan my fuel stops at their locations and stop at an RV park.
The advice to travel I 10 to Eloy Az where you take I 8 to Gila Bend and then an Az Hwy to Buckeye and hit I 10 again is good advice the traffic from Casa Grande through Phoenix is AWFUL.
Remember you will gain 2 hours on the clock heading West.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote