Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Official BRP Tunnel info:

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvis...el-heights.htm
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We've done parts of the BRP with both a 24 ft 5w and a 30 foot 5W. It's certainly doable, but the average speed is going to be what others have stated and the driver won't get much chance to look at scenery.

I'll also second the warning about dense fog. It's common on the BRP and downright scary to be socked in a a narrow and twisty road.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #17

We have done the BRP a couple of times the full length on a motorcycle. Unless you are used to driving 45 MPH, it can get very boring at that speed. I found it was best to get off the BRP every 50 miles just to change the pace.
Be prepared to use the pull off's often to let the stacked up traffic pass. Otherwise risky passing by others will just add to your anxiety.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Thanks for the feedback. And for the nattering nabobs of negativism, Plan B. Asheville to Fancy Gap VA, 200 miles. We have a 28' 5th wheel pulled by a F-250 diesel. Also suspect the 5th wheel is better at negotiating curves than a 40' leviathan. Don't anticipate fuel to be an issue. Truck has over a 500 mile range. Even if I reduce it to 300 for driving/pulling conditions I should have plenty of fuel. Will look into the tunnel issue. My Keystone Cougar is close to 12' and maybe a few inches more. The average speed thing will be interesting. Hope to somewhat mitigate traffic by traveling mid-week and early in the season. RickNC, thanks for your factual after action report. It is the scenic drive we are interested in. If it becomes a chore, I-81 is not far north. Thanks again.

Friz
Caution: Do not mistake good advice for negativism.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #19

We ran it with a small class a and noticed every imaginable type of rv combination going north and south.

Is it curvy? Yes. But, that’s not going to be what slows you down. It is very hilly! As in - you will either be climbing mountains in low gear or descending slowly due to the curves. Over and over. I would not have missed this trip for anything. It was amazing. That’s why you will see so many other rv’s traveling the BRP.

Just know it’s not a high speed road and take as much time as it takes.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #20

As others have stated: The fog can be so bad they close the road.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #21

I'm sorry that I was a nattering nabobs of negativism, but I thought your posting was asking for advice from others with experience with and on the BRP (I grew up 30 mins away).
I apologize for not agreeing that you will have no problem with your plans. I'm sure you will be able to accomplish this with no problems.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #22

Yup.....no problems at all. Go for it!
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #23

Just remember that you have choices and you can always exit the BRP if it's not working out. Here is a google map of the BRP near the VA/NC state line. Just move the arrow and you can take a virtual drive down the BRP road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5625...!7i3328!8i1664
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #24

Quote:
What can I expect, is the distance per day feasible? A little help please. All comments welcome. I am a retired Navy Chief so, thick skin.

Thanks, Friz

How could I have missed that?

No problem Chief, all ahead battle speed!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #25

Good info

Everyone has a different opinion depending on their experiences in life; that's one reason I like the Forum. I try and read them all. I even go back and look at some of the other members answers in other posts to see if they have a mostly negative or positive opinion in general. I believe you just have to gather all the info you can and then make your own decision and then live with it. Lots of good info here. I have a 28' MH and think I would take the route, be safe, take my time and not worry about the guy behind me, but pull over when possible to let someone in a hurry pass. I did do this route on my MC years ago when I was young and all I remember was, it was fun. Watch out for the young'uns.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
,,, All comments welcome. I am a retired Navy Chief so, thick skin.

Thanks, Friz
Trying to make your way up one side of Magsaysay and down the other hitting every bar along the way for one drink and making it back to the ship moored at Alava pier before the POOW gets on the 1MC and announces "Liberty expires onboard for all hands" might be a less challenging and achievable goal.

I haven't attempted the Blue Ridge in the coach but have transverse the southern end of Skyline. Not a fun drive in anything bigger than the daily driver. It's doable but at the end of the day you'll feel like you just experienced 16 September all over again. Beat up and tired but with a feeling of accomplishment that you did it but you don't want to do it again.

FCC(SW) Retired, CPO CLass of 1996, Yokosuka Japan. I have an unusual fear of fish sauce for the past 22 years for some unknown reason and bowling balls give me a feeling of apprehension that I can't seem to shake.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I'm sorry that I was a nattering nabobs of negativism, but I thought your posting was asking for advice from others with experience with and on the BRP (I grew up 30 mins away).
I apologize for not agreeing that you will have no problem with your plans. I'm sure you will be able to accomplish this with no problems.
Please fellow sojourner, no need to be sorry or apologize. My Spiro Agnew quote was intended as witty repartee. Coming off as a "smart ass" was not my intention. It was in fun. I value all feedback, especially yours. Thank you. You and others are why I have come up with Plan B.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Trying to make your way up one side of Magsaysay and down the other hitting every bar along the way for one drink and making it back to the ship moored at Alava pier before the POOW gets on the 1MC and announces "Liberty expires onboard for all hands" might be a less challenging and achievable goal.

I haven't attempted the Blue Ridge in the coach but have transverse the southern end of Skyline. Not a fun drive in anything bigger than the daily driver. It's doable but at the end of the day you'll feel like you just experienced 16 September all over again. Beat up and tired but with a feeling of accomplishment that you did it but you don't want to do it again.

FCC(SW) Retired, CPO CLass of 1996, Yokosuka Japan. I have an unusual fear of fish sauce for the past 22 years for some unknown reason and bowling balls give me a feeling of apprehension that I can't seem to shake.
Well, I smoked out a fellow Chief! Was stationed in the PI for 6 years 81-87. I know well the danger (lure) of Magsaysay. My Sept 16 went down at the NSWC, Dahlgren, Va in 1987. I am an Aegis FC. Rode the Mobile Bay CG 53 and the San Jacinto CG 56. Both on the east coast. As a fellow Chief, your advice on the BRP has merit. Fair winds and following seas - Friz
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote