RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #57

We are camping now in WNC and end up riding our motorcycles on the BRP everyday. Another reality is that you are as likely as not to get trapped behind an inexperienced driver who never looks in the mirror or even considers pulling off at the overlooks to let the train of cars behind pass. Throw in the bicycles creeping up the long grades with double yellow lines and it can be a frustrating drive. It is beautiful and spectacular but I would still maintain that its no place for a large rig other than as a necessity.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #58

The problem with pulling out to let traffic pass is the shear number of cars and mcís would have us pulling over at every pullout. Itís a National Parks road - not a commuter road.
Itís very intent is for slow pleasure driving. Was the op incorrect about trying to hurry and make a certain destination at a certain time - of course. So. why would anyone commuting think the same? I know, you canít please everyone. lol
I did not pull off for traffic in the Asheville area simply because it was way to busy with a parade of never ending cars.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #59

We rented a 26' Class C in the late 80s and didn't have a clue about RVing. I had driven larger delivery vans, so I felt I'd be fine. At any rate, we drive the parkway for a couple of days, and I don't remember any significant problems even as a newby.

However ......
If you ask anyone about the quickest way to the nearest town make danged sure they know what you're driving.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #60

Boy! did this thread grow legs. Sincerely, thank you for all the responses. At least I know the worst to expect and will not drive in eyes shut. We are getting close to deployment. Still plan to get on the BRP at the park headquarters near Asheville the morning of June 4 (Tuesday). There are several mitigating factors, which I believe I stated before but I don't think anyone addressed directly.
1. Early in the season
2. Mid week
3. Not driving what I would term a "big rig". F-250 diesel pulling a 28' 5th wheel.
4. Plan to be on the BRP NLT 0900. Planning to drive 180 miles north to Fancy Gap, VA. If we drive for 8 hrs that would be at an average speed of 22.5 mph.

So, weather and war with Iran notwithstanding, I believe it a feasible plan. Sweet Jesus, we are looking forward to this trip.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Boy! did this thread grow legs. Sincerely, thank you for all the responses. At least I know the worst to expect and will not drive in eyes shut. We are getting close to deployment. Still plan to get on the BRP at the park headquarters near Asheville the morning of June 4 (Tuesday). There are several mitigating factors, which I believe I stated before but I don't think anyone addressed directly.
1. Early in the season
2. Mid week
3. Not driving what I would term a "big rig". F-250 diesel pulling a 28' 5th wheel.
4. Plan to be on the BRP NLT 0900. Planning to drive 180 miles north to Fancy Gap, VA. If we drive for 8 hrs that would be at an average speed of 22.5 mph.

So, weather and war with Iran notwithstanding, I believe it a feasible plan. Sweet Jesus, we are looking forward to this trip.
The time of year and week are in your favor. Your rig isn't huge but big enough! I understand what others have said about the BRP being a parkway and not a commuter route and I agree. However, it seems that everyone is in a hurry these days, even when they are on vacation. Instead of really enjoying a few things, it's more about trying to see and do everything. If you don't have the time to slow down and appreciate the entire Parkway, just do part of it. Then you can plan another trip to see more or the rest of it. When I find a place I like to visit, I don't mind going back multiple times. Just take your time and enjoy it. Get in a hurry and you'll miss a lot!
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote