Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnel Clearances

While traveling south on the Blue Ridge Parkway last week I discovered what seems to be improved vertical clearances of the three extremely low clearance tunnels on the southern section of the Parkway. The low clearances have prevented motorhomes and other tall RVs from using that section of the Parkway.

The current official Parkway map shows:

Lickstone Ridge MP 458.8: 11ft 1in
Bunch Bald MP 459.3: 10ft 6in
Big Witch MP 461.2
11ft 3in Big Witch Gap

We were just enjoying the ride in the CR-V with no concern about the low clearances, but I kept waiting to see those low clearance signs. I have measured those clearances in the past and can verify that they were correct, but today things seem to have changed. Note that the published clearances on the Parkway map are for the minimum clearance at the edge of the road.

I didn’t record the posted clearances because they surprised me, but all were well above 13 feet. At least one was above 14 ft.

I can’t find a single word about this on the net. It would be nice to find some verification of this discovery and hope someone on this forum can help.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

yes, I think you are right in how they actually provide these HEIGHT indicators, as they measure from the LOWEST point over the roadway, which should be normal for any of these signs.
The negative is that when they post these measurements in publications, they use this limit, but don't really show the other measurement - the HIGHEST point of the underpass.

several years ago we came north out of Chicago, turned left to get on a main road from Lakeshore drive, Hollywood drive I believe, and immediately ran into an underpass posted at 12'.
fearful that our 11'9" overall ride height could be a problem, especially since they could have repaved the street since the sign was posted, adding additional unposted inches, I stopped right at the underpass, deflated my air bags, and immediately put it into Drive and proceeded underneath with no issues.
I probably could have done it without deflating the bags, but at least it made me feel better.

Later, I realized that the 12' posted height was more-than-likely at the LOWEST point on the far edges of the underpass. Even if you were close to the edge, your coach's highest point would be the top of the a/c units, or satellite dish, etc. which are not typically near the sides of the roof. : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

Since I can't find anything about this on the web, I called the Blue Ridge Parkway headquarters and asked them about this issue.

Well, the subject was referred to the "head maintenance" guy who would get back to me.

The original phone answerer called me an hour ago and said that the "head maintenance" guy would look into the matter. and when he found the answer, he would get back to me.

Can you imagine? No one in the Blue Ridge Parkway Department knows. If the new signs are correct, someone had to do the work to increase the clearance, and someone had to actually change the signs.

How bad can the government get?

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

Tunnel Clearances - Blue Ridge Parkway

All tunnel clearances
Old 07-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I drove the complete Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive in 2006 and 2007. I'm 12'. I've posted this many times but there are still those that do not believe it.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote