Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Joe-K, Warpath and myself are looking at a trip to that area around the middle part of June for a week or so. My guess is we are looking at June 12/13th thru June 22. We would need to be home on the 22nd so would want to be within a one day drive that day. Would like some suggestions on campgrounds and attractions. Probably would like to move campgrounds at least once during the week. Would be there over two weekends most likely.

Also, would there be a place for some of you guys to meet up with us for maybe the last weekend of the trip for a mini rally?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Joe-K, Warpath and myself are looking at a trip to that area around the middle part of June for a week or so. My guess is we are looking at June 12/13th thru June 22. We would need to be home on the 22nd so would want to be within a one day drive that day. Would like some suggestions on campgrounds and attractions. Probably would like to move campgrounds at least once during the week. Would be there over two weekends most likely.

Also, would there be a place for some of you guys to meet up with us for maybe the last weekend of the trip for a mini rally?
Mike
Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
There's always Walnut Hills Campground. We like the Staunton/Verona KOA.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike,

I gave Joe some suggestions in an e-mail today. As Rick suggested, Walnuts Hills is pretty central to the area you will be in but, unless they have removed a few trees, Joe might scratch that purty new Bus he will be driving.

As I told Joe, the most scenic portion of the entire Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway is BRP in Western NC. Also, there is a lot to see and do there (especially around Asheville and the NC High Country)and more RV parks/CG's to choose from. We've traveled the entire SD and BRP and I would not do it in my motorhome...it will fit, but you soon tire of tight turns and max speed of 45 mph.

If you decide to visit the NC portion and are anywhere near Grandfather Mountain, be sure to drive (in your toads at least) over the Parkway viaduct that goes around the edge of Grandfather Mountain. It was 50 years after the rest of the BRP was completed before they finished that viaduct and it is a breathtaking engineering marvel.

We'd certainly join you folks for a get-together if we can.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Having visited Walnut Hills in my 45 footer I would NOT stay there if they were putting me in the upper tier, which requires some tricky maneuvering and is where the tree branches are likely to scratch your rig....
The lower tier is easier to access, but may not be suitable for the 43 or 45 footers....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I hope to look some stuff over this weekend. I would like to see if adding Pipestem state park in WV. into the mix would make any sense. it looks like a neat place.
Mike
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
During one of our visits to Stonewall (back when we had the 5-r), I talked to another camper there about Pipestem. I thought it'd be a nice place to go because it was so close to the New River Gorge. The couple had WV license plates, so I figured they'd know. They advised me against it saying the sites are very tight & are not level. It's an older CG. They had a full size truck pulling a 30ft Wildcat 5-r.

That being said, since it's been a couple years since we had that 5-r, they could have updated sites in the meantime. If you're thinking of taking the rv's there, check with the campground first. If it was tight for that other couple's 5-r, imagine what it'd be like for Joe to get in there with his new bus.

I also 2nd smlranger's recommendation to drive the viaduct around Grandfather Mountain. The last time we tent camped, we were at Grandfather Mountain CG for a week. That drive is truely awesome. We were there at the height of leaf color in Oct, but it'd be awesome anytime of year.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike:

Regarding Pipestem...we're always looking for places within a 2 - 3 hour drive for trips. In checking RVparkviews.com, I also decided Pipestem was too tight. I had been there many years ago for a family thing at their lodge and checked the campground....the sites were small and very tight, similar to most of the campgrounds on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Perhaps they have upgraded but, if not, no way your rigs are going to fit.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanks Lori and Gary. I hadnt gotten into checking out the reviews etc on Pipestem. You saved me the work!!
Mike
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #10

We used to do family reunions at Pipestem and while the park carries very fond memories for me, I can't imagine the big rigs there!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Any suggestions for campgrounds for the NC high country and or western Va. area.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I suggest the national park campgrounds on the SD and BRP.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #13

If you get a chace, stop off in Maggie Valley, NC., many, many CG's to stay at on the Main strip, plus more off the main drag. Maggie Valley is one of my most favorite places to visit while in NC. I have been going to Maggie Valley since 1995, and I cannot stay away. The most favorite time of the year is OCT. The Craft Show right on the Main Strip is to kill for. There are over 100 craftsman displaying there talents. You can not beleive how clean the show is. I have lived most of my life in AR, but NC will always be my home...................

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
HobbyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I suggest the national park campgrounds on the SD and BRP.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't most of them primitive and too small for the larger rigs of today?
Mike