Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #1

Boise, ID to Hamilton, MT

I've driven Hwy 93 south from Missoula to Twin Falls twice now. Once cutting over to 15/86 via Hwy 43 at Lost Trail (it was early winter so I felt this was safer) and the other time all the way down to Arco then over Hwy 20 to 15/86.

This time I am looking at heading north from Boise to Hamilton. It's looking like taking Hwy 26 back to Arco then going north on 93 is the better option, but wanted to check here. Since once at Lost Trail it was basically all downhill I didn't really pay attention to what it would be like going northbound most of the trip.

Most posts that I could find here area also mainly southbound. I could use info heading the other way. I would be in no rush so even the long way via 15/90 with an overnight is okay.

Rig is in the signature and will be traveling in June.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #2

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended) states: "The northbound descent from the summit of Lost Trail Pass has 25 and 30 mph curves and is a pretty steady 5-6% descent for about 7 miles".

It's not a biggie. Get into low gear before heading down and take your time.

Have a good trip. We love that area! Have done it both directions often with a 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #3

As of last summer, 26 through Arco was in kinda rough condition but it's safe, 93 is a nice ride, gorgeous in spots. We stayed at Wagonhammer, which is beautiful -- right on the river. Has zero cell phone coverage, and no cable. People line up their camp chairs along the river and watch the sun go down for entertainment, and it has much to recommend it. None of the little towns has any traffic to speak of. Only technical part is the pass and that just sort of is what it is, snick it into low gear and enjoy the scenery cuz you won't be getting anywhere very quickly. It'll still take less time than it took Lewis and Clark.

Picabo is pretty much my favorite place on earth right about now. Gas up at the general store and check out the Hemingway memorabilia, and if you have time take a hike in the Silver Creek Preserve, where you can see moose, and overgrown rainbows going bonkers (bonkers!) over the trico fall of a morning. One generation passes away and another generation comes but the earth abides forever. Such a shame to pass through that part of the country. It should be savored.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

Boise to Hamilton

Did a similar trip 2 years ago is a 28 ft. Class C. I'd take 55 north out of Boise to Idaho 21 to Stanley and then 75 to Challis which is on US 93 then 93 to Hamilton.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilliams View Post
Did a similar trip 2 years ago is a 28 ft. Class C. I'd take 55 north out of Boise to Idaho 21 to Stanley and then 75 to Challis which is on US 93 then 93 to Hamilton.
That was the other route I was considering
Old 11-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #6

The hour of day on that drive, given my obligations departure day, may dictate the simpler route of 20/26 to Arco, then 33 to 28 to 93 in Salmon.