Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #15

I-287 and the Garden State Parkway are not the same road.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
The

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpardee View Post
I'm a little confused! Is 287 the garden state parkway? Google Maps shows route numbers not names
Thanks
I-287 joins with I-95 near Rye, NY, curves NW and crosses the Hudson near Tarrytown and Nyack, NY. It then heads SW to Morristown, NJ. It crosses I-80, I-78, and ends at I-95 near Edison, NJ. It loops about 80 miles around NYC from I-95 north of NYC to I-95 south of NYC. The Garden State Parkway terminates at I-287 near Spring Valley, NY. The Garden State Parkway is not part of the Interstate Highway system, it is solely a New Jersey toll road from Cape May to the NY border just north of Paramus, NJ.

I like Nunyadamn's route better than mine and others suggested.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I-287 joins with I-95 near Rye, NY, curves NW and crosses the Hudson near Tarrytown and Nyack, NY. It then heads SW to Morristown, NJ. It crosses I-80, I-78, and ends at I-95 near Edison, NJ. It loops about 80 miles around NYC from I-95 north of NYC to I-95 south of NYC. The Garden State Parkway terminates at I-287 near Spring Valley, NY. The Garden State Parkway is not part of the Interstate Highway system, it is solely a New Jersey toll road from Cape May to the NY border just north of Paramus, NJ.

I like Nunyadamn's route better than mine and others suggested.

I didn't pick it, I posted on here and other forums asking the same question long before my trip - others suggested it. I had no issues and with all the roads in the US were like the Garden State Parkway - without the tolls.

I looked again today because I didn't remember the 287 - I did not take that route I posted yesterday, because I remember taking the George Washington Bridge. I think if I had it to do over again, I would probably take the 287 to the Garden State Parkway south because I do like the road and there really isn't anything to see by going the route below that I took.

Wompatuck State Park
204 Union St, Hingham, MA 02043

Get on MA-3 N from Free St, MA-228 S and Cushing St
11 min (5.0 mi)

Take I-95 S, Garden State Pkwy and I-78 E to Christopher Columbus Dr in Jersey City. Take the exit toward Jersey City/Columbus Drive from I-78 E
4 h 17 min (258 mi)

Take Merseles St and Grand St to Marin Blvd
7 min (1.5 mi)

Liberty Harbor RV Park

11 Marin Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07302
Old 09-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you! We're heading that way tomorrow! I appreciate the insight
Old 09-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are there height restrictions on the Garden State Parkwy? I'm 13' 6''. Could I come down the 95?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boston to Liberty Harbor

There's absolutely no reason to take the Garden State Parkway if your coming down 95 thru Connecticut.
If your gonna take 95s over the GWB once in Jersey follow the signs for the NJ Turnpike (which is 95 in NJ). Take the Turnpike south (only way you can go from that far north) to exit 14abc which is the Newark Bay Extension of the Turnpike. Take the extension to exit 14c which is the 2nd exit after the toll plaza. Go down the ramp and make the 2nd right which is Christopher Columbus Drive. Take that to Marin Blvd. Take Marin to the end to Liberty Harbor.
95 west thru the Bronx in the morning shouldn't be too bad. The turnpike south shouldn't be bad either unless your heading south after 3. The turnpike splits into car and truck lanes at exit 15 (just before you get off at 14abc). It doesn't mater which you take you'll still be able to get off where you need just make sure you take 14abc not 14 as there 2 different exits. The sign will say Bayonne, Hoboken , Jersey City and NY.
Do not go the way Google Maps wants you to go.
I spent 30 years driving NJ roads.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
There's absolutely no reason to take the Garden State if your coming down 95 thru Connecticut.
If your gonna take 95s over the GWB once in Jersey follow the signs for the NJ Turnpike (which is 95 in NJ). Take the Turnpike south (only way you can go from that far north) to exit 14abc which is the Newark Bay Extension of the Turnpike. Take the extension to exit 14c which is the 2nd exit after the toll plaza. Go down the ramp and make the 2nd right which is Christopher Columbus Drive. Take that to Marin Blvd. Take Marin to the end to Liberty Harbor.
95 west thru the Bronx in the morning shouldn't be too bad. The turnpike south shouldn't be bad either unless your heading south after 3. The turnpike splits into car and truck lanes at exit 15 (just before you get off at 14abc). It doesn't mater which you take you'll still be able to get off where you need just make sure you take 14abc not 14 as there 2 different exits. The sign will say Bayonne, Hoboken , Jersey City and NY.
Do not go the way Google Maps wants you to go.
I spent 30 years driving NJ roads.
Thanks! I'm starting to hate Google maps. It's starting to be more like Waze which is not good when you are as large as we are!
Randy
Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks! I'm starting to hate Google maps. It's starting to be more like Waze which is not good when you are as large as we are!

Randy

As soon as I typed your location and destination in and saw the route I gagged. NYPD would lock you up if you took a MH or RV on the FDR Drive thru Manhattan and if you have propane you wouldn't be allowed thru the Holland Tunnel.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be prepared in Jersey City. The roads are congested and a little on the narrow side. Also lots of construction going on. There's a new highrise going up behind the RV Park but there just about finished. Hopefully they haven't started driving piles for the next building lol.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
As soon as I typed your location and destination in and saw the route I gagged. NYPD would lock you up if you took a MH or RV on the FDR Drive thru Manhattan and if you have propane you wouldn't be allowed thru the Holland Tunnel.
That is why I am really paranoid on this east coast part of our trip! And yes we do have propane. I've seen the 11foot8 web site and it gives me nightmares!
Randy
Old 09-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes. Garden State Parkway has a weight restriction of 7,000 lbs above mile 105. The I-287 junction is at mile 172. That northern section of the parkway, especially in Union County, has old, arched overpasses that have height restrictions in the curb and median lanes.

I-95 has no restrictions on height for a 13'6" high vehicle. On the George Washington Bridge, you must use the upper level. The upper level is for trucks and RVs, 14' height. Lower level only has a 13'6" height - no trucks or RVs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. Garden State Parkway has a weight restriction of 7,000 lbs above mile 105. The I-287 junction is at mile 172. That northern section of the parkway, especially in Union County, has old, arched overpasses that have height restrictions in the curb and median lanes.

I-95 has no restrictions on height for a 13'6" high vehicle. On the George Washington Bridge, you must use the upper level. The upper level is for trucks and RVs, 14' height. Lower level only has a 13'6" height - no trucks or RVs.
I am assuming you have a choice before you get to the bridge?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I am assuming you have a choice before you get to the bridge?

A choice for what?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

The weight restriction is for commercial vehicles. RV's are exempt.