Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Boston to Myrtle Beach

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from Boston to Myrtle beach without too many hills and avoid traffic jams. Leaving at the end of April on a Thursday morning and plan to stop twice along the way. Never really been that way south before so hoping for some experienced folks to give me some good advice.

Thanks,
Moon
Moonless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
No hills and no traffic? Take a boat!

I-95 will take you directly through NYC, Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore (where you have to get on 695 if you have propane) and DC. No hills but PLENTY of traffic.

I would take the Mass Turnpike to Albany and then the NYS Thruway. Hop off at 84 to 81. Near Winchester, VA move over to Rt. 50 to Rt. 17 and that will take you back to 95 in Fredericksburg, VA. I'll be doing some of that route tomorrow.

Some moderate hills but WAY less traffic hassle.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moon, I'll second RVThere's route with a couple of comments.
1) I see no reason to take the Pike to Albany. Used to be, because all of CT I-84 west of Hartford was horrible. Not so now. There's still some construction between Hartford and Waterbury, but you can avoid a great deal of that as follows: approaching Hartford take the exit for I-91 S (left exit). About 10-15 miles down take I-691 W and that will bring you back to I-84 just east of Waterbury.
2) Don't be tempted to take I-684 S from Brewster down to White Plains and then to the Tappan Zee. Last time I took that road (3 years ago) the surface was just plain awful, and I haven't heard that they've worked on it.
3) once you get on I-81 in Scranton you'll be in some moderate grades for a while going down toward Harrisburg. You won't have a problem.
4) US50 / US17 is good, double barreled road most of the way to Fredericksburg. Pay attention to the signs once you get on US 17. It will be co-located with I-66 for a short distance, but you DO want to get off again.
5) Take the I-295 bypass around Richmond. It only adds about 4 miles, and I've never seen anything but light traffic.
6) In another thread currently running here, some folks have talked about the horrific construction traffic delays on SC I-95 starting in the area around Latta. That's where you want to get off-- Exit 181, Rt 38. The work may be finished by spring. Just keep an eye on the traffic on Google Maps. If you need to get off use exit 1 NC OR EXIT 193 SC and just cut over and get to US501. US501 will take you right into Conway and then Myrtle Beach.
Of course, some roads in the north may turn to crap during the winter and the advice may need to be changed. Enjoy!!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #4

How you get from Boston to Florence SC is up to you, but here are my notes from another thread on what do do once you get to Florence (intersection of I95 and I20).

Note, hwy. 327 which is the exit you want to get off I95 to head to Myrtle is just north of I20 at Florence.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/birmi...ch-322227.html
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As noted, don't go thru Florence. Get off I95 at Latta (Exit 180) and take 38 then 501 toward Myrtle Beach. Depending on where you are staying at MB (North or South), there are signs directing you to the best routes.

Also agree to get on I295 when you get just past Ashland, VA on 95. 295 basically let's you avoid going thru downtown and the congestion immediately around the city. It reconnects with I95 south near Petersburg.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boston to Myrtle Beach

Moon....
smlranger mentioned Ashland, VA and that reminded me-- at Exit 89 off I-95 in Ashland there's a campground called Americamps. It's about 340 miles from MB so it might be a good stopping point for you. We spent a couple of nights there just a month ago. Planned for an overnight but liked the place, so we stayed another night. Nice folks, and they run a little restaurant there too. Eat in or take out. Great broasted chicken, and they do a free waffle breakfast!

Enjoy!

2004 Element
Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I've done that trip both ways: using I-81 and going right down I-95.

The last time I went I used I-90 to I-84 to I-91S to I-691W to I-84W to I-87S to I-287S which loops you around the NYC mess and connects with the NJ Turnpike south of NYC. From there I just went down the turnpike and I-95. I don't find the traffic around DC and Richmond al that terrible.

But if the traffic bothers you, take I-84W to Scranton then I-81S. It's a bit longer, there are some not so terrible hills, and the traffic is calmer.

I have come right up I-95 over the GW Bridge. The traffic didn't get to me but the road is in pretty terrible shape and I feared the motorhome was going to shake apart!
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
...Note, hwy. 327 which is the exit you want to get off I95 to head to Myrtle is just north of I20 at Florence......

Betr.... coming from Atlanta you are absolutely correct. But the OP will be coming down I-95 from the north. His best route will be to take either exit 193 (Dillon) or exit 181 (Latta) and get directly onto US 501 down to MB.

2004 Element

Tags
myrtle beach