Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Brattleboro VT Bridge Question

Hi, folks. Anyone have any experience with the height clearance of the bridge across the Connecticut River coming east out of Brattleboro, VT, into NH? Good Sam's travel planner has flagged that bridge as 11'6", and my new TT is supposed to be 10'8". (We're overnighting at the Hinsdale Campground in NH).

Can I believe the 11'6" clearance markings and quit worrying, or should I detour around it?

Thanks!

Roger
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've never been there, but Google StreetView has. It looks like the bridge has arched overhead beams. StreetView shows 11'10" on the edges but marked at 15'0" in the center. It is also very narrow. I think I'd go a few miles north and cross on the Franklin Pierce Hwy bridge.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, we go to this area a lot. The bridge, as noted, is arched from 11' 5" on the sides to 15' in the center. It is very narrow and very busy. I'm not crazy about it in a car. Going north to Route 9 west takes you out of the way, but the roads are better.
Where are you going? That campground is out of your way if you are going north or south on I91. And it is not a great park Hinsdale, NH Campground Reviews - Best of Hinsdale Camping - RV Park Reviews
Much better choice is the KOA on Route 5 in Putney. Easy on and off Route 91 in either direction. Brattleboro, VT Campground Reviews - Best of Brattleboro Camping - RV Park Reviews
Old 03-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
OK, we go to this area a lot. The bridge, as noted, is arched from 11' 5" on the sides to 15' in the center. It is very narrow and very busy. I'm not crazy about it in a car. Going north to Route 9 west takes you out of the way, but the roads are better.
Where are you going? That campground is out of your way if you are going north or south on I91. And it is not a great park Hinsdale, NH Campground Reviews - Best of Hinsdale Camping - RV Park Reviews
Much better choice is the KOA on Route 5 in Putney. Easy on and off Route 91 in either direction. Brattleboro, VT Campground Reviews - Best of Brattleboro Camping - RV Park Reviews
Our route takes us from Albany/Troy NY across Rt. 9 via Brattleboro, on our *scenic* route to Maine. We're actually planning only to overnight at Hinsdale, both coming and going, the location is almost perfect for our planned itinerary schedule, and they have full hookups with water/sewer/electric. Most reviews I found were actually pretty good; on top of that, I've had a couple most delightful phone conversations with them.

Seriously, thanks for your input. The idea of looping around via Rt. 9 north of Brattleboro, as you suggested, is pretty tempting. Still hoping to hear from someone who has has actually crossed that bridge with their rig.

Thanks!

Roger
Old 03-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That changes my suggestion. For your consideration:

If you are coming over route 9 into Brattleboro, the bridge is only part of your problem, to get to the bridge one most go through downtown Brattleboro which with an RV is no picnic. The streets are narrow, and always busy.
Going to Hinsdale via route 9 east is 17 miles.
Going to KOA via route 9 east is 3.5 miles.
Either way, if you take 9 east, you will get on 91 north prior to getting to the downtown and take the next exit to route 9, which is where you will want to be after your overnight.
I have no connection to the KOA, - just trying to be helpful.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip - the ride through VT and NH is beautiful.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
That changes my suggestion. For your consideration:

If you are coming over route 9 into Brattleboro, the bridge is only part of your problem, to get to the bridge one most go through downtown Brattleboro which with an RV is no picnic. The streets are narrow, and always busy.
Going to Hinsdale via route 9 east is 17 miles.
Going to KOA via route 9 east is 3.5 miles.
Either way, if you take 9 east, you will get on 91 north prior to getting to the downtown and take the next exit to route 9, which is where you will want to be after your overnight.
I have no connection to the KOA, - just trying to be helpful.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip - the ride through VT and NH is beautiful.
Yeah, been in Brattleboro several times - just that this will be my first ever trip there while towing my TT. Google Streetview even shows downtown Brattleboro as pretty clogged up when they went through.

Thanks again!

Roger
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #7

I lived up in Lebanon and always found Brattleboro a pain in the wazoo, there is always some type of road work. But if you are staying nearby Brattleboro pizza used to be good, have't had in a few years.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
I lived up in Lebanon and always found Brattleboro a pain in the wazoo, there is always some type of road work. But if you are staying nearby Brattleboro pizza used to be good, have't had in a few years.
So, you lived in Lep-nun. Way back in the dark ages I was a DJ on WAHT radio up there. That was back in the mid-70's. It was so long ago we had to use a rope pull to start the TV set.

Roger
Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

Follow-up: The folks at the campground where we will be staying on the NH side of the river say not to worry about the bridge(s), that truckers go through there all the time with 13' 6" vehicles. The low clearance is a small brace at the top corners of the bridge structure, only a foot or so; the first bridge is 15' 0" and the other one is something like 14' 10". Now my only concern is the 8' width of my TT, which also should not be a problem. Thanks to all for your input!

Roger