Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Breckenridge Bound

I'm headed up to Breckenridge (Tiger Run Resort) later this month. I'll be driving up from Texas. Google maps and Bing maps show my route through Colorado as being I-25 North to Pueblo, then US-50 West to Canon City, then CO-9 North on in to Breck.

An alternate route that is all Interstate would be I-25 North all the way to Denver, then I-70 West towards Breck. This route is longer.

Is there a particular advantate to going the longer route? I'll be in a Fleetwood Discovery DP. Should I purchase chains?

Thanks!
T
TLRegister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It has been a very long time since I drove CO9 when living in CO. If I recall correctly there is a pass north of Fairplay that is often snowed in. Personally, I would keep may 40er on interstate and US highways this time of year up there.

There is at least one Breckenridge resident on the forum. Hopefully he will come up and give you the real scoop. You might do a search for Breckenridge to find a similar request last month from a fella coming from the Midwest, I think.

It is a great area. Have fun.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

It all depends on the weather and how you feel about some tight turns. I really like 9 when I am riding my motorcycle but I wouldn't take it in the winter with a MH. I suspect it is too late in the season to safely take that route in a MH.

It doesn't take a lot of snow for them to close 9. It would not be a lot of fun if you got close and found out it the last few miles were closed just before you got to your destination.

I would strongly suggest 25 to 70.

And yes, you should purchase chains. Depending on conditions several roads including the interstate can require them to proceed.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

We are also heading to Tiger Run over Christmas and can't wait to hear how it goes for you. I did drive my car the route that you described taking co. 9 into Breck from San Antonio and decided that with only a small amount of snow would make it difficult. There were some tight turns that were doable but not what I wanted to do in the snow. This is why I am opting for the highway route. I too am wondering about the chains. Do I need them for both front and back tires? Are there any brands that anyone can recommend?
Pellerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #5

I agree--don't try Highway 9.

How are you getting to I-25? We drive between Denver and Texas (usually San Angelo or Austin) fairly frequently in a 40-foot motorhome towing a car. Our most recent northbound trip took us through Amarillo, picking up I-25 in Raton. That involves going over Raton Pass.

On the way back to Texas, we decided to try another route, and took I-70 east to Limon and from there down Highway 287 to Amarillo. It's the same distance but theoretically a little slower because it's not interstate, but since we're in the motorhome we don't take advantage of 70 mph speed limits and generally go around 60 or 65. So it wasn't necessarily slower for us.

The advantage to the "new" route was that we didn't have to go over Raton Pass. Highway 287 is two lane but with fairly light traffic. I did have to pass a slow truck one time but other than that it was pretty smooth sailing. It has some long rolling hills but no mountains.

That part of Colorado does get fierce storms, so if the weather is bad, don't do it. It's flat plains and can get horrific winds, and you're in the middle of nowhere. But if the weather is nice, I think I like it better than going via Raton.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellerotto View Post
We are also heading to Tiger Run over Christmas and can't wait to hear how it goes for you. I did drive my car the route that you described taking co. 9 into Breck from San Antonio and decided that with only a small amount of snow would make it difficult. There were some tight turns that were doable but not what I wanted to do in the snow. This is why I am opting for the highway route. I too am wondering about the chains. Do I need them for both front and back tires? Are there any brands that anyone can recommend?
State Tire Chain Laws and Regulations

it is my understanding that in Colorado you must carry chains for the outboard drive wheels in the winter. this is the law in most states. there is a fine if you don't have them onboard in colorado.
you can call 511 to find out when chains are required. there is a bigger fine if you fail to use chains when required.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

Oatmeal,

I was planning on taking 87 from Amarillo to Raton, NM. Then head North on I-25. You mention Raton Pass. I haven't driven that area before. What is the concern with Raton Pass?

Thanks!
Terry
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Raton is not much to worry about,however it does snow there.I always went from Amarillo to Lamar Colorado and hwy 50 to Pueblo.That route is flat and has more options to stop for food and fuel.287 hwy has been redone and is in great shape.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRegister View Post
Oatmeal,

I was planning on taking 87 from Amarillo to Raton, NM. Then head North on I-25. You mention Raton Pass. I haven't driven that area before. What is the concern with Raton Pass?

Thanks!
Terry
I have done raton in a 4wd Suburban and only one time did it get bad enough that we had to chain up. We knew before leaving Fort Worth that it was a possibility, so just keep an eye on the weather. Once you get to Amarillo, check it out once more, as there is an alternate heading further west on 40 to 39 then going up 25. Adds a few more miles, and roads may not be any better.

Of course all last year we never had any trouble, so who knows!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRegister View Post
Raton Pass isn't particularly treacherous, but it's still a mountain pass. In the motorhome, I'll always prefer a flat route over a mountain route, especially if they're the same distance.

But even though the route through Lamar is flat, you still have to check the weather because of the storms on the plains out there.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #11

While I really enjoy the drive over highway 9 it is a 2 lane with many switchbacks and most likely with have some snow on it (they do plow it really well however). I have no doubt you can make this route, but if you don't drive in snow of snow like conditions often I would take I-25 up to 470 (Lone Tree, co) and then connect to 70.
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #12

I stayed there last year. I have drove this route many times and if I were you I would go to I-70 and go up. Make sure you have good brakes for the return trip.

Bob Fader
Fades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #13

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

We're already home. We went from Amarilly through Raton, up 25 to Denver, purchased tire chains, then out 70 to Breck. We took the reverse route home.

The worse of the roads were just Northwest of Fort Worth the day after Christmas, and when we arrived in the Breck area (near Eisenhower tunnel) the following day. The only issue on the return trip was 70 in the Breck area. Once out of the mountains we had clean roadways all the way home.

I appreciate all of the options that you all provided to me.

Regards,
T