RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurtis226 View Post
We're somewhat new to cross country trailering and am wondering if there's an app or map we can purchase to find out if the route we're traveling has tall enough over-passes. We're just under 13'6 inches tall. Thoughts?

I had rv height and weight engraved on a small sign in view of the driver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #16

RV and trucker-specific GPS and maps are great resources. I use a Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas when planning my trips. You don't have to worry about it when on the STAA approved routes (plainly marked in orange on the maps) and I just do my homework ahead of time when traveling other routes.

Here's another guide I use:

https://member.coach-net.com/members...bridgeinfo.pdf
Old 02-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Motor carriers atlas, truck router.com and RVParky app all give you that info. Truckrouter anf rvparky are free online resources.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Motor carriers atlas, truck router.com and RVParky app all give you that info. Truckrouter anf rvparky are free online resources.

Based on this type of information posted here and elsewhere, I purchased the latest edition of the Motor Carriers Atlas. The first thing I noticed was all of the orange highlighted routes. That's a good thing I assumed. All I would have to do is check to see if the route was highlighted and then proceed. However, I then noticed in the front of the atlas that each state had a listing of bridge clearances that were below the norm. In checking them out, I found that the orange highlighting meant nothing since there were low overpass warnings posted in the front of the atlas on routes that were highlighted in orange. Examples are for PA, US 6 at Mill Village and US 6/19 at Cambridge Springs.

Unless I am misusing the information in this atlas, this seems to be virtually useless. They could have just printed a list of low clearances by state and been done with it. I sincerely hope that I am just misusing the data since this was not an inexpensive atlas.
VillageNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #19

Be careful if/when you get up to the Northeast. Interstate and state routes are usually good. Parkways and secondary roads can have low bridges and underpasses.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Just one thing to be aware of, sometimes..... the clearance is the max, not the min. e.g. if the overpass is arched the clearance may be for the center lane at the top of the arch. Seen this on some less frequented roads. If you stay on the interstates you'll be AOK.
Enjoy the lifestyle, c u down the road
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
Be careful if/when you get up to the Northeast. Interstate and state routes are usually good. Parkways and secondary roads can have low bridges and underpasses.
And no RVs or trailers of any kind allowed on any parkways in New York.

Best to use a motor carrier's/trucker's atlas. RV GPSs do exist, but are only as good as the database the company uses for them. Not all databases will have all low clearance locations and not all will route you around clearance/weight/permission issues.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
Just one thing to be aware of, sometimes..... the clearance is the max, not the min. e.g. if the overpass is arched the clearance may be for the center lane at the top of the arch. Seen this on some less frequented roads. If you stay on the interstates you'll be AOK.
Enjoy the lifestyle, c u down the road
For state-maintained roads, this is not the case for NY. The posted clearance is the minimum. For an arched or tilted bridge it's the minimum clearance measured at the white line on the low side.

I don't know how other states post the clearance, but this is what NYS DOT told me when I called to ask.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
And no RVs or trailers of any kind allowed on any parkways in New York.

<snip>.
This is true. Let me elaborate. Do NOT get on anything called a "parkway" in NYS. The lanes are narrow, the roads can be really twisty, and the bridge clearances are *low* (like 10') in many places. Also, the bridges are not rated for heavy vehicles, and their weight limits are not posted because heavy vehicles aren't allowed to start with.

Fortunately, the troopers are alert. They usually stop large vehicles before they have a contest with a bridge. Usually.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #24

NYS Parkways allow RVs at the park ends of them.

All trucks are permitted on the following parkways south of Merrick Road / Montauk Highway (NY 27A) for local deliveries only:

Bay Parkway

Heckscher State (Southern State) Parkway

Loop Parkway

Meadowbrook State Parkway

Ocean Parkway

Robert Moses Causeway

Wantagh State Parkway

The William Floyd Parkway isn't really a parkway. Trucks can use the whole length.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/pkwy_LI/

Never say never.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
NYS Parkways allow RVs at the park ends of them.

All trucks are permitted on the following parkways south of Merrick Road / Montauk Highway (NY 27A) for local deliveries only:

Bay Parkway

Heckscher State (Southern State) Parkway

Loop Parkway

Meadowbrook State Parkway

Ocean Parkway

Robert Moses Causeway

Wantagh State Parkway

The William Floyd Parkway isn't really a parkway. Trucks can use the whole length.

Parkways on Long Island

Never say never.
Yup. I forgot about Long Island...
Old 02-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #26

Are you sure about the Meadowbrook Parkway? I grew up there and, unless they changed all the underpasses, they were all low. They were posted as no commercial traffic
Back in the 70's, that also meant pickup trucks.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #27

What I posted came from the link on Parkways.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
This is true. Let me elaborate. Do NOT get on anything called a "parkway" in NYS. The lanes are narrow, the roads can be really twisty, and the bridge clearances are *low* (like 10') in many places. Also, the bridges are not rated for heavy vehicles, and their weight limits are not posted because heavy vehicles aren't allowed to start with.

Fortunately, the troopers are alert. They usually stop large vehicles before they have a contest with a bridge. Usually.
Yeah. I lived and worked in the Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess area for 30 years and spent many a commute on the Taconic, Hutch, and Sprain Brook. Have seen more than my share of trucks and RVs stuck in a bad place on those parkways.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote