Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 08:31 AM   #1

Bryce Canyon

Planning a trip from Washington to Bryce come mid April. 2 questions..
Wondering if I can drive my 36ft coach to the trail heads and be able to park for the day??
Besides Zion, what are some good places to check out between WA and maybe a hundred miles past Bryce??
98fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 09:58 AM   #2

Been their.

Should have no problem with your 36 footer if space is available, but April should be no problem. After Bryce and Zion may consider going south thru Kanab and over to Monument Valley (outstanding) then a short drive up to Moab for the Arches, then a short jump to catch I-70 for the trip home.

Safe travels, we love Utah.
Tahoetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #3

North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Don't go that far and miss this one.

David
DavidEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
Wondering if I can drive my 36ft coach to the trail heads and be able to park for the day??
Besides Zion, what are some good places to check out between WA and maybe a hundred miles past Bryce??
I'm not clear on your trailhead question. Are you not towing a car? The very best way to get to the trailheads is by using the park shuttle buses. Each national park has a wonderful web site with lots of good information on road conditions, special alerts, camping, etc. Check them out. Here is Bryce's:

https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/shuttle.htm

If you don't plan to stay in the park itself then I recommend staying at Ruby's just outside the park gate. The park shuttle stops right there and along the route you can get on and off wherever you want.

For something additional to do from Bryce consider driving Hwy 12 up to Capitol Reef National Park. It's an absolutely gorgeous drive. From there it's not far from Arches National Park in Moab, UT. That whole area is not to be missed if you have the time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
Planning a trip from Washington to Bryce come mid April. 2 questions..
You are in SOUTHERN UTAH - just turn your head - it's everywhere you look - State Parks - Kodachrome - Escalante - Goblins - ............everywhere you go there will be Beautiful Wild places to see and explore.

Page - Slot Canyons - Monument Valley - Horseshoe Bend - Lake Powell - seriously everywhere you Look - Hope you have planned enough time as this could take Months.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #6

2nd Hwy 12 and Capitol Reef. Stayed just outside the park last summer.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'm not clear on your trailhead question. Are you not towing a car? The very best way to get to the trailheads is by using the park shuttle buses. Each national park has a wonderful web site with lots of good information on road conditions, special alerts, camping, etc. Check them out. Here is Bryce's:

https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/shuttle.htm

If you don't plan to stay in the park itself then I recommend staying at Ruby's just outside the park gate. The park shuttle stops right there and along the route you can get on and off wherever you want.

For something additional to do from Bryce consider driving Hwy 12 up to Capitol Reef National Park. It's an absolutely gorgeous drive. From there it's not far from Arches National Park in Moab, UT. That whole area is not to be missed if you have the time.
Thx for this great information! We always have pulled a boat or a sxs.. haven't had any reason to pull a toad... Till now... wish I was setup for that...
Old 01-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #8

Thanx everyone for your suggestions!!
The wife and I have done Bryce, Zion, Horse shoe bend, Arches, and the Monument hwy.. We didn't plan that trip at all... Only had a couple hours before dark at Bryce... Wanting to walk the trails... We are taking our kids this time.. 14, 27, and 28.. As has been said...
There is So Much in Utah...
Old 01-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #9

The hike down into the canyon is really cool. Quite a transition from up on the rim.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Don't go that far and miss this one.

David
This!

Also, be aware that Bryce is at 7900 ft altitude and North Rim is at 8000 ft. April can still get winter weather at those altitudes.

At Bryce, I concur with the shuttle. Although April isn't usually extremely busy, driving and parking a class A can be quite stressful. Let the professional do the driving.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #11

Here are some suggested hikes of all levels that you can find on the park's website. Definitely go down and weave in and out of the hoodoos. It's like a fairyland down there. Wall Street trail is so very unique so try to do it. Going down is naturally the easiest but you'll have to go up at some point... either again, on Wall Street (steep) or come up on another trail. Lots of options once you get down into the hoodoos. Take more water than you think you'll need! It one of our favorite hiking parks.

On Hwy 12 a few miles west of Bryce is another beautiful area for hiking - Red Canyon. There's a national forest visitor center on Hwy 12 which could give you lots of information. We've stayed at the campground there a few times.

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/utah/red-canyon
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
This!

Also, be aware that Bryce is at 7900 ft altitude and North Rim is at 8000 ft. April can still get winter weather at those altitudes.

At Bryce, I concur with the shuttle. Although April isn't usually extremely busy, driving and parking a class A can be quite stressful. Let the professional do the driving.
Good point about the altitude in Bryce. Our first trip there in a motorhome we quickly learned the inadequacy of our battery. It was June. No electrical hookups in the park at that time. The furnace ran most of the night and we woke up at 5 am with a dead battery and freezing cold. I hated to do it to my neighbors but had to run the generator to warm back up. Bought better batteries after we got home!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #13

Thx everyone for your input! We are deciding now...
Old 01-17-2022, 05:34 PM   #14

We were there last April. Keep in mind this is spring break time for many schools so crowds vary. It was quite variable as to lookout parking. Come early and you'll be more likely to find a spot - mid week is better too. There's a place in town to catch the shuttle where you can park your rig.

100X YES! - hike down into the into the the canyon! Absolutely amazing. I could post 100 pictures (yes I have that many) and none will do it justice. Last April Wall Street was closed due to ice still in the canyon. Hike early for less crowds. I did the reverse Queen's Garden loop. Saved the switchbacks for last and lived to tell the tale.

Dress warmly and return to one of the lookout points after dark. Durn off your flashlights, (better yet, use red light) dark adapt for 15-20 minutes and enjoy the stars. Orion will be in the West as will the winter Milky Way. Do the ranger star tour first. Did I mention to dress warmly?

As for where to go next? Capitol Reef. To use an overused term: OMG!!!! I thought Zion was beautiful, but the Capitol Reef area goes on an on and on. Every time we went for a drive my neck got sore from looking up through the windshield. I was hunched over the steering wheel the whole way. My mouth went dry from all the ooohhhs, aaaahhhs and expletives. After we moved on, I told my wife Capitol Reef is my new favorite park. (Shhh, but don't tell more favorites came later but they are farther away.

Picture is of Orion and the Winter Milky Way passing over his left shoulder, taken from Sunrise point. About a 30 second exposure with a wide angle lens.

Pretty much in that part of Utah, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some amazing places to visit. I have gigabytes of photos to back up my claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BryceOrion.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	354073  
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote

« Us hwy 97 | Route »