Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

CA 46 Atascadero to Cambria with 35 + toad

Hiway 46 between 101 to the coast hiway 1 and then up to Pfeiffer State Park in Big Sur coming out in Carmel. Anyone know of this route for a 35 ft Georgetown with CRV toad?
Slow N EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe highway 1 is closed due to a washout a couple months ago.

It's scheduled to reopen in early summer 2021.

https://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/hig...onditions.html
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

46 is an easy road and it's worth the drive. Until they fix US 1 I'd turn the other way, base out of Morro Bay which is a gorgeous little town. One of my favorite kickin little Cali towns, and Cali has some *really* cool little towns. I miss it!

We stayed at Bay Pines which is OK I guess. Morro Dunes is in a great location if you brought your bikes, also there are a couple of teeny places off of Monterey Ave which are also well located. Run down to the docks and get some seafood, check out the sea otters, if you can stand that much cuteness in one package. Renting a kayak is a great way to spend a day and is highly recommended.

Take the toad back up 46 to check out wineries, Justin is *to die for* but you'll never get your rig back up in there. Then run up to Nacimiento-Fergusson road, loop back down to the PCH and follow that south, check out the elephant seals and zebras in San Simeon. Should have that part of the PCH to yourself because of the closure. Get dinner at the Sea Chest, the calamari steak is exquisite. All of this is great in the toad (even better by motorcycle) but don't even think about taking the rig down Nacimiento-Fergusson road. Which generally goes to show, just because you *can* take an RV somewhere doesn't mean that's the best way to get there

Same generally applies to the run from Monterey to Big Sur, I mean it's doable. Check the wind forecast, it can get brutal. Otherwise it's not a particularly technical drive, it's just that there are so many little places to pull over (and turn around) if you're in a car. Not so much in an RV. Monterey is a fantastic town, and likewise a fine home base for exploring.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Highway 46 west to Highway 1 is a good road with wide shoulders. At 1 you turn right. north, and proceed to San Simeon. There is where things get tight. The link is to the CalTrans map showing the restriction on motor homes over 40 feet.
https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media...p-d05-a11y.pdf

My advice would be to scout the area and the road north before taking the whole rig. Kind like the old Wagon Train era trying to find the best route. Ragged Point is where the road gets very narrow and winding. You may want to explore from the south end in the toad, move the rig to Carmel and then explore from the north end in the toad.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, arch is right the closure of Hwy 1. The only way from Atascadero to Carmel is 101 to Salinas, then 68 over to Hwy 1 to Carmel. The thread title says Atascadero to Cambria, you can do that on 46 to 1 to Cambria.

Glenn
Old 04-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just heard that they have moved the date to reopen Hwy 1 by 3 months to the end of April. With the luck they have when they overrun work completion on that road I don't know if I have a lot of faith in short timing it. I don't think I would want to be one of the early users of the route. I'll let a few thousand others try it first.

Glenn

Tags
toad